Discovery mod is a full-scale expansion pack for Freelancer focused on continuing the story started in the vanilla campaign via the roleplay-driven multiplayer server an community forums. The mod and community currently host the most active remaining multiplayer experience for Freelancer and the mod introduces many new features including but not limited to new ship classes and types, ship equipment, player owned (and built) bases, jumpdrives, cloaking devices and equipment manufacturing as well as the ability to create, run and maintain player-led factions that shape, contribute and are a part of the ingame roleplay environment. This multiplayer-focused mod allows players to immerse themselves in the Freelancer world some time after the Nomad War from the singleplayer experience.
Overview: Discovery is a modification that expands Freelancer universe without spoiling it with unneeded or illogical changes. This mod retains atmosphere and balance of the original game, both multiplayer and singleplayer.
Discovery is a modification that expands Freelancer universe without spoiling it with unneeded or illogical changes. This mod retains atmosphere and balance of the original game, both multiplayer and singleplayer, and adds new interesting features, allowing players to develop and explore far beyond the limits of unmodded Freelancer. Those features include 84 new pilotable ships, 7 new systems, lots of new weapons, commodities and equipment, battleship encounters, improved artificial intelligence of NPCs and many others - everything seamlessly integrated into Freelancer universe.
Version 4.80 vastly improves 4.79, this version has the longest changelog Discovery ever had. 4.80 adds significant amount of new content - new ships (most of them large ones), weapons, equipment, and commodities. Special roleplaying items were added to enhance multiplayer experience. Balance was also improved, especially balance issues concerning capital ships; mod has been carefully tested before release to ensure it's bug-free. See complete feature list and changelog below in this readme.
New Discovery versions also include a storyline about a conflict between Bretonia and Kusari that started shortly after the Nomad war - see news on different bases for more details. Story will evolve and continue with next Discovery versions.
New in Discovery 4.80:
- 14 new ships:
Bounty Hunter Battleship
Bounty Hunter Destroyer
Guardian (Advanced Defender)
Lane Hacker Spyglass
Liberty Rogue Gunboat
Mephthys (Advanced Anubis)
Talarca Light Cruiser
- Three new stations: Rostock in Omega-15, Corfu in Omicron Theta, Ibiza in Omicron Alpha.
- New assignable keys available: selecting previous/next subtarget (station turrets, battleship sections).
- Option that allows to enable engine trails when activating the mod (clientside).
- 51 faction ID items added for roleplaying purposes. IDs cost 1 million credits and can be bought from primary bases/planets of each faction - if you are on friendly terms with this faction.
- New ships and commodities have correct icons now (icons borrowed from Evolutions mod, thanks to Chips for allowing to use them).
- Battleship spinning reduced (to some extent).
- History continues: more news added about war between Kusari and Bretonia.
- 7 types of cargo pods available for purchase, to customize look of transports and trains.
- Enhanced balance for many new ships (maneuverability stats, number of turrets, power supplies etc).
- Turret firing angles for many capital ships increased to improve firepower.
- 16 new weapons, including Cruiser and Gunboat modifications of Razor and Inferno, Corsair Cruiser and Gunboat turrets, Order turrets and more.
- Range for cruiser and battleship weapons increased (especially for advanced weapons).
- Gunboat forward turrets hidden, forward guns for Liberty Cruiser, Rheinland and Liberty gunboats removed from purchase.
- All ships have scanners in their default selling packages.
- SUR (hitbox) files for many new ships modified.
- Outcasts fly Huegenot (now known as Outcast Destroyer), Bounty Hunters fly Bounty Hunter Destroyer.
- Huegenot encounters replaced with Rogue Gunboat encounters in Liberty and Bretonia systems.
- 25 new lootable faction pilots added, replacing general pilots.
- Faction relations changed according to ongoing war between Bretonia and Kusari.
- The Order now has encounters in Nomad Worlds, Order displayed on faction reputations list.
- Battleship Isis has a commodity dealer.
- Shields for capital ships made tougher.
- Power supplies for battleships equalized (to 7 million), all power supplies for capital ships improved.
- Raven Claw hit points reduced from 10400 to 8400, Slipstream hit points reduced from 7000 to 6500, price also reduced.
- Somtaaw Light Gunboat became a Super Heavy Fighter.
- Increased number of missions available on all bases.
- Increased difficulty of station killing missions.
- Mission rewards & difficulty on some new bases increased.
- Enhanced several trade routes.
- Name change certificates for players who wish to change their character name (for multiplayer only, sold on four House capital planets, Crete and Malta).
- Fixed looting bug - advanced fighters no longer drop loot like players, will also improve server performance.
- Fixed bug that prevented Rheinland Battleship from launching from Stuttgart and some other planets.
- Fixed sun bugs in Omega-47 and Omega-49.
- Fixed 'internal turret' bug for Kusari gunboat.
- Infocard errors fixed for Inverness Base, Camara and many other objects.
- Various fixes related to server performance.
- Freelancer SDK 1.5 files by Louva Deus included.
- Readme file renewed; new ship stats table contains more info and is more convenient to use.