This will be a short post on the progress towards the first build of the tiered release that I previously discussed.
Some of the games, especially Daggerfall, have large amounts of UI. Not just the core game UI but additional UI that is needed for XL Engine specific features such as setting the resolution, graphics settings, mods and so forth. Rather then try to make custom screens to match each game like DarkXL, I decided to have a unified XL Engine UI for all the UI that isn’t part of the original games.
Anyway I had started converting all the Daggerfall UI into the new UI Script system but realized that I wanted to make a UI editor and that making the UI editor wouldn’t take much more time then writing the scripts manually. In addition, the editor will make setting up the UI now and in the future much easier. The UI editor will generate UI script files which can then be further modified by hand if need be.
I didn’t have time to finish the UI editor yet but I thought it would be interesting to show a screenshot of me testing out the UI system. I have other controls already, such as check boxes, edit boxes, radio button and so forth but this is a screenshot of me starting to lay out the UI editor “for real.” Now that the art and UI system is in place, building the rest of the UI editor won’t take too much longer.