FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
Please read before posting!
Version 1.87 issues
- Sisters of Battle are not yet finished. When will they be finished?
- Legio Titanicus titans don't show up for me anywhere. Any reason for that?
Ultimate Apocalypse Mod setup:
- What do you need to play UA The Hunt Begins?
- What do you need to play THB New Factions?
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ):
- Will there be campaign mode in UA?
- But I really want campaign mode! What can I do?
- Where to post bug reports?
- Will even more additional races be added to the UA mod?
- When I go load UA from the Game Manager it isn't there! What to do?
- Does the mod work for the Steam version of Soulstorm? Where to install it for the Steam version?
- Do I need to uninstall previous versions of UA to install THB?
- I installed the mods in a different order. Will things still work A-OK?
- I downloaded the UA THB/patch .exe installer and it says the data is damaged! What to do?
- I've re-downloaded but it still says it's damaged. What should I do?
- Is there a way to know for certain if X file downloaded correctly?
- ModDB download is not available/I don't want to download from ModDB. What options do I have?
- Is the UA map pack included with THB?
- X thing doesn't work. Should I reinstall Soulstorm?
- X thing doesn't work. Should I uninstall [other mod]?
- Still, how do I make SURE a DoW mod is uninstalled?
- I did everything exactly as instructed and THB/New Factions doesn't work, what do?
- I'm 99.98% sure I got stuff installed properly but THB/New Factions fails to load when selected from the game manager. What to do?
- Will you make a tutorial/demonstrative video on how to install THB?
- My game crashes on large battles on UA. What to do?
- When I start a game, the AI plays on my place and I can't do nothing! What I'm doing wrong?
- I'm getting huge slowdowns and models partially disappear, help!
- Is this mod available/will it be available for Dark crusade?
- Can I make my own modifications to UA?
- So you won't have me nuked if I upload my modification to UA for others to use, then?
- What do I need to play this mod on multiplayer?
- What is a LAN tunneling app, do I need one to play Soulstorm online, and which would you recommend?
- I own a physical copy of Soulstorm already, I don't want to buy it again on Steam >:I
- I can't see my friends' games in multiplayer/they can't see mine. How to fix?
- When playing multiplayer, some races are greyed out and I can't select them. How do I fix this?
- I/my friend(s) get a sync error. How to fix?
- Is the -dev shortcut command compatible with multiplayer?
Version: 1.86 issues
- 404 or 403 error upon installing.
- Changelog questions. Changelog states this but ingame is not shown.
- Installer issues and troubleshooting.
- I am a steam user and the installer is defaulted to somewhere else. Where is the steam game location?
Version 1.87 specific questions (Updated June 22nd, 2016):
When will SoB be finished? and how playable are they in 1.87?
So this will of course be added to the FAQ, but Sisters of Battle are right now.... not bad. They are very unfinished to how we wanted them to turn out back in April or so, and today I'd say they are 50% finished? They play ok (as of last play through), but are lacking in 30-40% of their wanted content to make them whole and complete. I can confirm we did not fix all bugs within the race, but they are at least playable and they should be fun-ish. There are things OP about some SOB units as well, however you will find yourself disappointed in some aspects I will not share.
Are they better than what they were last version? Yes. There were things fixed that made them, "uggh". Overall, I'd say try them out. We had to release the mod on this deadline so we kind of rushed Sisters in development. Deadline is due to my vacation, hence not working on the mod for a while. They will be finished in the future, To Be Determined.
Legio Titanicus titans don't show up for me anywhere. Any reason for that?
Legio Titanicus titans such as the Cavalier Titan, Lucius Pattern Reaver Titan, Lucius Pattern Warlord Titan, and Imperator Titans will be found only in the Imperial Guard race within the Titan Assembly Bunker if and only if you activate the Legio Titanicus wincondition. Just press the reset button in "options" within the player setup menu.
Trioliths, Agony Titan, and more will come into Legio Titanicus mod later. But right now they are kind of unfinished.
Ultimate Apocalypse Mod setup (Updated on June 22nd, 2016):
What you need to play UA The Hunt Begins:
Use Installer to install standalone factions ONLY if you don't have them installed.
Sisters of Battle are not yet finished.
- At least 10 gigs of space on your computer. (Recommended) Minimal of 6.23 GB + Standalone faction mods.
- Dawn of War - Soulstorm.
- Objective Points UA (already included in mod).
- Tyranids 1.5b
- Chaos Daemons 2.0
- Download Chaos Daemons 2.0 and Tyranids standalone mod if you do not have them:
- Inquisition Daemonhunters for Soulstorm is already integrated in UA! Thanks to jONES1979 and IDH team.
- Place ALL files into your SS directory by using installer:
DISC - C:\Program Files (x86)\THQ\Dawn of War - Soulstorm
STEAM - C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Dawn of War - Soulstorm
- Download Chaos Daemons 2.0 and Tyranids standalone mod if you do not have them:
- Inquisition Daemonhunters for Soulstorm is already integrrated in UA! Thanks to jONES1979 and IDH team.
- Install Tyranids 1.5b here: Moddb.com
- Install Daemons 2.0 here: Moddb.com
- Install standalones accordingly.
- Done go play.
- Use DOW Mod Manager version 1.2 and greater: Moddb.com
- Download NTCore 2.0: Moddb.com
INSTALLATION FAILED (Via crash to desktop upon starting game):
- One possible solution (New Races) would be you did not download and install any standalone factions. Please
visit this page for full guide: Forums.relicnews.com
- Another possible solution would be you did not put ALL files into the SS directory.
- Last and final solution would be you have a corrupted install. Try to download again from a different mirror.
- If you tried all above, visit the technical issues thread: Moddb.com
- FAQ found here: Moddb.com
TRY TO INSTALL RECOMMENDED FILES:
- Download DOW Mod Manager version 1.2 and greater: Moddb.com
- Download NTCore 2.0: Moddb.com
What you need to play THB New Factions:
1. Dawn of War - Soulstorm with UA The Hunt Begins installed
2. Tyranids 0.5b2
3. Chaos Daemons 2.0. (In Installer)
Get them from here: Forums.relicnews.com
5. Launch Soulstorm, use our new and improved DOW Manager v.1.2 to select "UltimateApocalypse_THB" or "UltimateApocalypse_THB_DIDHT" (New races module)
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ):
Q: Will there be campaign mode in UA?
A: Campaign mode is indeed planned for future versions of UA, after The Hunt Begins and its patches.
Q: But I really want campaign mode! What can I do?
A: You can manually re-enable the Kaurava campaign. Keep in mind it's not officially supported, so don't expect coverage on any technical/balance issues you encounter in it. Krutchen posted relatively easy instructions to enable it, which I'll shamelessly rip off as I'm not much of a coder :P
1. Download Corsix's Mod Studio, and extract it to your Soulstorm directory.
2. Select load DOW:SS Mod, then your UltimateApocalypse_THB.module
3. Then, follow this path until you get to this file:
Data > Art > UI > Screens > Mainmenu.screen
4. Go to line 855, and remove "visible = false,"
5. However, this will cover your skirmish button. So I would suggest you additionally go to line 795-799 and change that button's position to:
The buttons will be all lumped up close to each other, but it'll still work.
Q: Where to post bug reports?
A: On this thread Moddb.com
Q: Will even more additional races be added to the UA mod?
A: Very unlikely. New races take a very long time to integrate with UA, plus there's the lack of epic units for most standalone race mods.
Q: When I go load UA from the Game Manager it isn't there! What to do?
A: Assuming the THB installer ran correctly, you either changed the installation directory and/or your Soulstorm game isn't correctly installed. This is fixable however. Take the mod data from the extraction path you set it to and move it to your Soulstorm directory. Be aware you might have a Dawn of War Soulstorm folder (with the UA mod data in it) within your Soulstorm directory.
Q: Does the mod work for the Steam version of Soulstorm? Where to install it for the Steam version?
A: Yes, UA works on any version of Soulstorm, actually. If you have it on Steam, the installer should detect the correct directory automatically.
By default, that is C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Dawn of War Soulstorm
Alternatively, you can see where exactly you have any game on Steam installed by right clicking it on your Steam Library, select Properties, then go to the Local Files tab and click the "Browse Local Files" button.
Q: Do I need to uninstall previous versions of UA to install THB?
A: No. THB was purposely made so it can be installed alongside older versions of UA.
Q: I installed the mods in a different order. Will things still work A-OK?
A: Yes. As long as you install the 1.8.2 patch after the main THB release it patches, you're fine.
Q: I downloaded the UA THB/patch .exe installer and it says the data is damaged! What to do?
A: Re-download it. Your download got damaged, the best way to approach this problem is to download again.
Q: I've re-downloaded but it still says it's damaged. What should I do?
A: If you were using Internet Explorer (particularly an old version of it), try with a different browser or updating IE. Also, if you were using a 3rd party download manager, try disabling it.
Q: Is there a way to know for certain if X file downloaded correctly?
A: Yes there is! You can do a MD5 hash check on them to easily confirm data integrity. For this, you'll need a hashing app. There's a lot of them and about any of 'em will get the job done. If you don't have any, here's one: Code.kliu.org
This one's particularly easy to use. Install it, then download the UA THB 1.8.2 setup data integrity check.zip file, extract it and place the .md5 files in a folder along with:
Chaos Daemons mod installer.exe
Inquisition Daemonhunt mod installer.exe
Ultimate Apocalypse - THB Patch v1.8.2r1.exe
Ultimate Apocalypse - The Hunt Begins.exe
Then, open "ALL files.md5" to check all files, or the .md5 file named as the installer you want to check. Remember the .md5 files must be in the same folder as the file they're checking. They follow a color code:
GREEN = File integrity is OK
YELLOW = File could not be found. Make sure it's on the same folder and the file name matches. Underscores (the '_' symbol) also count on the file name. For this reason, checks for UA files both with underscores and without underscores are included.
RED = File is damaged, and you must re-download it to get a good copy.
Q: ModDB download is not available/I don't want to download from ModDB. What options do I have?
A: Click that "read more +" on the description of both the UA THB main release and its patch. There's plenty of download mirrors. About the Tyranid mod... I dunno.
Q: Is the UA map pack included with THB?
A: Yes. Plus a few more, too.
Q: X thing doesn't work. Should I reinstall Soulstorm?
A: No. Unless your unmodded game is messed up for some reason, you do not need to reinstall Soulstorm.
Q: X thing doesn't work. Should I uninstall [other mod]?
A: No. Dawn of War mods load as modular, separate components, they do not interfere with each other.
Q: Still, how do I make SURE a DoW mod is uninstalled?
A: Delete its folder(s) and .module file(s). Objective Points comes with many mods but is also used by many mods, it is not recommended to remove it (unless you're reinstalling it).
Q: I did everything exactly as instructed and THB/New Factions doesn't work, what do?
I hate when people ask this If you did install exactly as instructed here, then it would be working. Re-check your installation process.
Q: I'm 99.98% sure I got stuff installed properly but THB/New Factions fails to load when selected from the game manager. What to do?
A: I would just tell you to re-install everything, but to be nice, I can pinpoint which mod needs reinstall if you send me a log file from your end (heck, you should be able to spot the mod name in the log, too).
To do so:
- Launch Soulstorm, try loading THB/New Factions (triggering the error), then close Soulstorm.
- Navigate to your Soulstorm directory, and locate a file named "Warnings.log"
- Open it with notepad, copy all of its contents and paste them in Pastebin.com
- When done, link your results back here.
Q: Will you make a tutorial/demonstrative video on how to install THB?
A: No. THB is without exaggeration, the easiest-to-install UA release, ever. Only way I could make it any easier would be with Steam Workshop support. Just look at the instruction count for zog's sake. You shouldn't need a video for 4 steps.
Q: My game crashes on large battles on UA. What to do?
A: Download and use this: Moddb.com
If you have non-Steam Soulstorm, refer to point "2) CTD (Crash to Desktop) Prevention" on this guide: Moddb.com
Q: When I start a game, the AI plays on my place and I can't do nothing! What I'm doing wrong?
A: You're using the -dev command on your game shortcut. Depending on what's your autoexec.lua file's configuration, pressing the "AI taking over" may be activated with Shift+F9 or automatic.
Q: I'm getting huge slowdowns and models partially disappear, help!
A: Install this runtime Microsoft.com Should fix the problem. If not, contact Steam support, they're there for this kind of stuff.
Q: Is this mod available/will it be available for Dark crusade?
A: Nope. Can't be done without doing most of the mod again, so won't happen.
Q: Can I make my own modifications to UA?
A: Of course you can! UA is a mod to begin with, isn't it?
Q: So you won't have me nuked if I upload my modification to UA for others to use, then?
A: Heck, if you do a good job at it we may even feature it.
Multiplayer-related questions (and their answers):
Q: What do I need to play this mod on multiplayer?
A: At least, Dawn of War Soulstorm and Ultimate Apocalypse installed. And one or more people with a setup just like yours. As in absolutely no mods or game versions can be different.
If you have non-Steam Soulstorm, you'll also need a LAN tunneling app. More on this below.
Q: What is a LAN tunneling app, do I need one to play Soulstorm online, and which would you recommend?
A: Simply put, LAN tunneling allows you to play online using the Local Area Network (LAN) multiplayer.
For Soulstorm, you need this if you want to play with other players and don't have Soulstorm on Steam.
There's many LAN tunneling alternatives, but my recommendation is Evolve. A brief description? Think Tunngle, minus the annoying flashy ads, with a bit of Steam-like features. Other would be Hamachi, but it's (afaik) limited to 5 players unless you pay for it.
Q: I own a physical copy of Soulstorm already, I don't want to buy it again on Steam >:I
A: You don't have to. Sega's offering free Steam copies of DoW1 to people who have it on disk: Steamcommunity.com
Q: I can't see my friends' games in multiplayer/they can't see mine. How to fix?
A: This may be caused by a disparity on players running/not running Soulstorm from the NTCore-modified executable. Make sure all players run Soulstorm from either the modified or vanilla .exe.
Also, this can also be caused by some players running New Factions and others the core mod. This must also match across players.
Q: When playing multiplayer, some races are greyed out and I can't select them. How do I fix this?
A: On Soulstorm multiplayer, only Sisters of Battle and Dark Eldar are unlocked by default. Having the other DoW1 games installed unlocks the other races. Specifically:
DoW "classic" unlocks: Space Marines, Chaos, Orks and Eldar.
Winter Assault unlocks: Imperial Guard
Dark Crusade unlocks: Necrons and Tau.
Races added by mods are always unlocked.
If you have these titles, want to unlock these races in Soulstorm multiplayer but don't have the hard drive space to spare, this unlocker tool does exactly what you need Dow.4players.de
It "tricks" the game into you have other DoW1 games installed with only Soulstorm. You still need legitimate game keys for DoW, WA and DC, of course.
Q: I/my friend(s) get a sync error. How to fix?
A: There is a few things to look out for.
- All players must run the exact same UA patch version.
- Win conditions like Advanced Overwatch, Sandbox or AutoReinforce conflict with multiplayer and can cause sync errors.
- Any attribute file that doesn't match across players, even in the slightest, will also cause a sync error. Textures, sound files, camera settings and badges/banners do NOT cause sync errors.
- I haven't got a chance to properly confirm this, but if you only have Soulstorm installed (thus, only Dark Eldar and Sisters of Battle unlocked) and try playing online on a game with say, Necrons, for any player, also triggers a sync error, even if the setups across players are properly installed. The solutions being installing the previous DoW1 games (more on this on the previous question) or playing with just the races in Soulstorm or added by mods. Again, I haven't been able to thoroughly confirm this, any input on this subject will be amply appreciated.
Q: Is the -dev shortcut command compatible with multiplayer?
A: Very much no. Not in DoW1, at least.
Q: I tried every solution on this section and still get a sync error, what do?
Are you trying to make my life difficult? OK. If you:
- Have all players using the same type of Soulstorm executable (either ALL NTcore or ALL non-NTcore, not a mix)
- Have all players running the EXACT same version of ALL mods included.
- Don't have any modified attribute files on any of the involved players' ends.
- Tried a "test game" (as in to check if it works) with JUST Dark Eldar and Sisters of Battle, default settings and the Annihilate win condition, nothing more.
And STILL get a sync error, either: You haven't actually done all of that, or the issue originates somewhere else. A misconfigured router maybe? I don't know.
If at any of these steps you no longer get sync errors, then you have just found where your problem was.
Version 1.86 specific questions (Updated February 19th, 2016):
Q. How do you install UA THB 1.86.16?
Q. Changelog questions. Changelog states this but ingame is not shown. This item x is not in changelog.
Q. I was installing the mod, and I selected to install all the new races as well. When it got to the Inquisition, it gave me a 404 error. What do I do?
This is normal. You might have to download IDH manually. Go here for link: Forums.relicnews.com
Q: Installer issues and troubleshooting.
A: If you have problems installing to a directory and are a STEAM user, check the question below.
A: If you come across any errors in the installation, please restart the installation as it will corrupt multiplayer. Navigate also to your install location and find the "UA-FULL-uninstall.exe" file to uninstall the mod completely. THEN reinstall the mod.
A: DO NOT INSTALL A STANDALONE FACTION IF YOU ALREADY HAVE THE FACTION INSTALLED.
A: Inquisition Daemonhunters cannot be downloaded and installed at the moment. You must install them the old fashion way for now as we have ran into issues we cannot resolve atm. Otherwise release delayed. So get IDH mod from here: Forums.relicnews.com
Q: I am a steam user and the installer is defaulted to somewhere else. Where is the steam game location?
- (Defaulted at) C:\Program Files (x86)\THQ\Dawn of War - Soulstorm
- (STEAM Users) C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\Common\Dawn of War - Soulstorm
Do not install at default location! You will not see version 1.86 if done so.
1.85.5 does not work without new races!
1.85.5 has 4 consecutive issues that should not be played as standalone. UA THB New Races is required to play 1.85.5, otherwise you WILL crash to desktop upon game startup. These four issues contain:
- A required ability child within Chaos Daemons mod.
- A required research within Chaos Daemons mod.
- A required weapon within Inquisition Daemonhunters mod.
- Icons used by the Chaplain Terminator in IDH mod.