Prepare to see the most disturbing, sadistic and morbid manifestation of violence that you ever seen in your life. This is the definitive gameplay enhancement mod for the GZDoom and Zandronum engines. Warning: After you see it, it cannot be unseen!
I really love this mod. It adds so many good features to the game. Playing DooM or DooM II really does feel like it did back in the good old days. I just have to say that the creator deserves my respect for achieving this feeling in a mod.
So, why just 9/10?
Well there are some (minor) things that don't feel like they're really perfect in their current state.
- The voice acting when saving a marine or flashing the finger at monster is of significantly lower quality compared to the rest of the mod.
Furthermore, there seem to be some balancing issues.
- Some weapons feel not 100% balanced (maybe 95% ;)
- The assault rifle feels a tad too efficient (maybe lower damage, rof or accuracy?)
- There seems to be little to no use in using the super shotgun. The regular shotgun is way better (much faster and almost equally powerful)
- The minigun shreds through pinkies like through butter (maybe increase recoil or lower damage?)
- The rocket launcher seems rather weak (maybe increase damage or splash?)
- Some enemies feel a bit unbalanced
- Lost Souls feel slightly too strong (maybe decrease hp or attack speed?)
- Barons Of Hell feel slightly too strong, too (maybe decrease hp?)
All these balancing issues are minor and just IMO.
All balancing issues experienced during Black Metal difficulty.
The reason I like this mod so much is because it does what i’ve been wishing more modern FPSs would do.
Which is, to take what was good about old school FPSs and simply improve on where improvements need to be made.
Improved gameplay: ability to kick and jump.
Better weapons: the addition of the assault rifle, and giving the guns more impact.
Better sound: satisfying sound effect.
A good mod.
Superb gameplay, smooth fast and intense just like it might be in one's memory from all those years ago. Except memories aren't perfect, sometimes revisiting an old game things aren't as good as you remembered, except with this it is.
Also it's the improved textures, sounds and music are a must have to fall into some beautiful hellish nostalgia.
This mod is amazing! Dude, you do a really good job. This make doom and doom II (and PWAD) more realistic and funny! I give it 9 instead of 10 because it is no longer compatible with Skulltag. It was really funny fight bots with the weapons and death scenes of Brutal Doom :(