Prepare to see the most disturbing, sadistic and morbid manifestation of violence that you ever seen in your life. This is the definitive gameplay enhancement mod for the GZDoom and Zandronum engines. Warning: After you see it, it cannot be unseen!
Well, here it is, Brutal Doom v20. The mod that has split the Doom community literally in half--for more than a couple "controversial" reasons--has finally ended it's development. What do I think of it? Well, my thoughts have kind of changed since last time for--again--a few reasons I don't want to touch on.
Some of the changes in Brutal Doom v20 are pretty nice. Dual wielding is great, the new death animations are awesome, and the blood decals and gib sprites look better than ever. I don't think this is one of the greatest mods of all time like I thought/said last time, it's pretty good, but not like Underhell level of quality, it's just something I myself enjoy playing.
That's all I'll say. - Nanomen
I loved brutal v 18, and was ecstatic for v.19, but I lost a few things that I loved about the mod. I'm hoping by posting this it may be fixed or.
1. There have been many different weapon skins used throughout the evolution of this mod. While all of them excellent quality, there are a few that I preferred over others. I feel that there should be an option to change the skins for the brutal weapons, in game. Something like a list with a jpeg preview in the options menu.
2. The ability to roll added a level of finesse that I (and I'm sure, many others adore in FPS games. unfortunately, to my surprise, was 86'd in brutal v.19. I would absolutely love this feature in the game again.
3. I would like to see a slider for the amount of gore, viscera, shells, cartridges, and various other decals that stay on the map while your'e playing. This could open up a wider range of people that still have dated PC's and just don't have the processing power to page it all. As well as rewarding people with updated rigs so nothing disappears so they can walk through the map after they've steamrolled everything, and admire the mess they've made.
4. The ability to change the gamma for blood textures and puffs.
I know some people that like blood to be bright, vibrant, and beautiful. As for myself, I love the dark, dinghy look in shooters.
5. Brutal pistol, being your starting gun in vanilla, i thought brutal was sure to have something like a Sig Saur or a Glock.
6. For a mod as over-the-top as this, with all of the beautiful visuals and oh so satisfying gore, I'm amazed that no ones put a Saw blade Launcher (a.k.a Ripsaw) like in Redneck Rampage, or something that pins enemies to walls like Half Life 2's Rebar Crossbow. there are so many nasty things you could put into this mod to stimulate that murderous part of your psyche. But it would really make my year if I could see something like those weapons
7. chainsaw'ing corpses. i would like to see this back in the mod.