Prepare to see the most disturbing, sadistic and morbid manifestation of violence that you ever seen in your life. This is the definitive gameplay enhancement mod for the GZDoom and Zandronum engines. Warning: After you see it, it cannot be unseen!
I loved brutal v 18, and was ecstatic for v.19, but I lost a few things that I loved about the mod. I'm hoping by posting this it may be fixed or.
1. There have been many different weapon skins used throughout the evolution of this mod. While all of them excellent quality, there are a few that I preferred over others. I feel that there should be an option to change the skins for the brutal weapons, in game. Something like a list with a jpeg preview in the options menu.
2. The ability to roll added a level of finesse that I (and I'm sure, many others adore in FPS games. unfortunately, to my surprise, was 86'd in brutal v.19. I would absolutely love this feature in the game again.
3. I would like to see a slider for the amount of gore, viscera, shells, cartridges, and various other decals that stay on the map while your'e playing. This could open up a wider range of people that still have dated PC's and just don't have the processing power to page it all. As well as rewarding people with updated rigs so nothing disappears so they can walk through the map after they've steamrolled everything, and admire the mess they've made.
4. The ability to change the gamma for blood textures and puffs.
I know some people that like blood to be bright, vibrant, and beautiful. As for myself, I love the dark, dinghy look in shooters.
5. Brutal pistol, being your starting gun in vanilla, i thought brutal was sure to have something like a Sig Saur or a Glock.
6. For a mod as over-the-top as this, with all of the beautiful visuals and oh so satisfying gore, I'm amazed that no ones put a Saw blade Launcher (a.k.a Ripsaw) like in Redneck Rampage, or something that pins enemies to walls like Half Life 2's Rebar Crossbow. there are so many nasty things you could put into this mod to stimulate that murderous part of your psyche. But it would really make my year if I could see something like those weapons
7. chainsaw'ing corpses. i would like to see this back in the mod.
Brutal Doom adds in quite a bit of features and new visuals, essentially being a gameplay overhaul where both you and the opposition deal almost double damage, and everyone gets some new tricks. All the guns are reworked and feel solid to use, and even the Skulltag-exclusive weapons like the Railgun and Grenade Launcher are modified to be in line. Most enemies learn some new moves to get the jump on you, too, but so do you in the way of a kick button and the ability to perform fatalities with the Berserker pack.
Obviously, the selling point of the mod is all the blood. Gibs will fly, the walls will be painted red, humanoid enemies will be helpless and panic when some of their limbs are torn off, and that Chaingunner will be stunned if you kick him in the nuts.
While many claim that Brutal Doom would be Doom if it was made today, it is better described as if it was modernized; obviously, if Doom was created around this time then we would get something very much like the third game in the franchise.
Though I have two complaints about the gameplay. First one being reloads in general - they slow down the gameplay and encourage hiding behind cover. My suggestion would be to remove these off the majority of the weapons, and in turn just slow down the rate of fire or do some other nerf to balance it out. Both the regular shotgun and rocket launcher could do with something like this, but the Assault Rifle is the worst offender.
Second is that bosses like the Cyberdemon are too easy to take out. All you need to do is hit him with seven rockets (yes, seven) to the head and he's gone. Sure, he hits harder, but it's not difficult to avoid a Cyberdemon's attacks.
Apart from all this and that the novelty may wear off a little quick, this gameplay mod is worth looking into. The upcoming Brutal Hexen might be more of the same, but here's to hoping it turns a fairly bad game into something fun.