Prepare to see the most disturbing, sadistic and morbid manifestation of violence that you ever seen in your life. This is the definitive gameplay enhancement mod for the GZDoom and Zandronum engines. Warning: After you see it, it cannot be unseen!
I really love this mod. It adds so many good features to the game. Playing DooM or DooM II really does feel like it did back in the good old days. I just have to say that the creator deserves my respect for achieving this feeling in a mod.
So, why just 9/10?
Well there are some (minor) things that don't feel like they're really perfect in their current state.
- The voice acting when saving a marine or flashing the finger at monster is of significantly lower quality compared to the rest of the mod.
Furthermore, there seem to be some balancing issues.
- Some weapons feel not 100% balanced (maybe 95% ;)
- The assault rifle feels a tad too efficient (maybe lower damage, rof or accuracy?)
- There seems to be little to no use in using the super shotgun. The regular shotgun is way better (much faster and almost equally powerful)
- The minigun shreds through pinkies like through butter (maybe increase recoil or lower damage?)
- The rocket launcher seems rather weak (maybe increase damage or splash?)
- Some enemies feel a bit unbalanced
- Lost Souls feel slightly too strong (maybe decrease hp or attack speed?)
- Barons Of Hell feel slightly too strong, too (maybe decrease hp?)
All these balancing issues are minor and just IMO.
All balancing issues experienced during Black Metal difficulty.
It has it all.
It takes one of the best games ever and overhauls it completely.
I only recently came across doom 4 years ago, and ever since me and one of my buddies have been playing this mod through doom, doom 2, plutonia,
tnt, master levels and some more.
It was a hell of a ride and it took us 3 years to finish all of the official bonus levels.
Both the game and this mod has left a lasting impression on me.
sadly though, the mighty boot is glitched, and sometimes when kicking an enemy i spontaneously explode and die.
Also, the shotgun is now a sniper rifle.
This mod really shows how far games have come....and how far they have regressed. This game gives you the tools needed to form the plethora of gibs along the walls, ceiling, and screen you've always dreamed of. It also gives you all the tools to have at least a year worth of fun, even if the fun is overly gratuitous in the gore department.
But it really is the best kind of fun, isn't it?
Mix it with some other map-changing mods/tools and you've got yourself an even better year of ripping and tearing ahead of you AND your mates as you brave the depths of hell, and maybe some military installations while you're at it!