Latest version. Works on Zandronum 1.0 or higher, or GZDoom 1.7.0 or higher. Read the FAQ if you are having any problems.
In development since 2010, the 18th Cacoward winner and Moddb 2012 MOTY Editors Choice of Creativity Award Brütal Doom takes Doom into a whole new level. It makes the game much more violent than before. There's much more blood, plus it adds unique gibs, death animations, dismemberments, headshots, executions, fire and explosion particles, flares, shadows over all objects, and much more.
The whole world becomes more real and interactive. You can hurt yourself with the shrapnel if you shoot a gun too close of a wall, you can kick severed limbs and heads (and sometimes, use it to activate some traps in the map earlier), you can shoot enemies' heads to deal more damage (and cause more gruesome deaths) you can destroy most things in the the scenario (trees, lamps, hanging bodies, etc), you can paint the floor, the walls, and even the ceiling with blood, you can push the explosive barrels to make traps, or grab them and use like an explosive weapon, you can silently take down enemies from behind and perform stealth kills, you can use the chainsaw to rip when you find the berserk pack and get super strength, you can perform cinematic executions and RIP AND TEAR your foes with your bare hands. Some enemies will scream in anguish and try to crawl away when near death, and they can be used as human shields. Blood will drip through your visor every time you shoot enemies too close.
Everything in Brutal Doom is extremely intense. Everything sounds louder, looks bigger, moves faster, and hits harder. The camera shakes every time something explodes near you. Enemies are harder and smarter, and weapons and explosions are loud as fuck.Your weapons have been upgraded to a deadly arsenal, completely throwing the vanilla Doom's "progressive weapon system" through the window. Every weapon is powerful and have it's pros and cons, and a weapon will never be outclassed when you find a new weapon.You have new abilities too. With any weapon selected, you can press Q (default bind) to kick enemies at close range and send them away. Press F (default bind) to taunt enemy players, and Z or X (default binds) to wave to other players in cooperative modes.
Brütal Doom will make the good an old Doom have a new and fresh look. It will give you a reason to play all the Ultimate Doom, Doom 2, and Final Doom levels again. This mod also works with almost every megawad and map pack around. Take a breath, and prepare to RIP AND TEAR HUGE GUTS!!!!!
Topic at the Zandronum forums:http://zandronum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=165
Topic at the ZDoom forums:http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=28920
The Official Facebook page:http://www.facebook.com/BrutalDoom
Before making any questions related to the mod, or problems to make it work, please read the FAQ.
The changelog so far:
- New difficulty balance that makes things easier on hard megawads such as Scythe 2 or Speed of Doom. A balance similiar to the one on older versions is avaliable with new dificulty levels.
- Improved fire deaths for zombies.
- Fixed a bug with zombies and imps getting stuck when kicked over a solid object.
- Many new fatalities.
- New Plasma deaths.
- The volume of many sounds have been reduced.
- Now you can kick crawling zombies in the face. You get cruelty bonuses for every kick.
- The only way to curbstomp a crawling zombie now is to kick them with berserk pack.
- Greatly improved enemy AI. Now many enemies can try to evade some of the players attacks.
- New and improved blood decals.
- Added an alt attack for imps.
- Fixed a bug allowing players to fire weapons or move while performing a fatality or a curbstomp.
- Added missing beheaded heads for many enemies.
- Lost Soul AI completely remade.
- Fixed some bugs with some terrain surfaces.
- Fixed a bug causing deaths to don't be counted when a player stealth killed a zombie or imp with a necksnap.
- Fixed lack of sounds on Chainsaw pickup, also fixed its idle sound.
- Fixed a bug causing the player to be immune to Demon's attacks when standing on a corner.
- Restored Player's speed to Vanilla Doom's standard.
- Fixed bodies floating in the air when killed over a water surface.
- Greatly improved the Assault Rifle sprites, and now the ADS mode can use autofire if the fire button is pressed, or can fired faster it the player press the fire button as fast as he can.
- Barons and Hell Knights can be kicked in the nuts.
- Edited a line in the Railgun's code which I suspect that was causing the bug of unable to cycle weapons when it gets out of ammo.
- Improved rifle's reload animation.
- Reduced and improved the trails of some projectiles.
- Mancubus Cannon's fireballs will light the area on fire, damaging any nearby targets over some time.
- Reverted the Nazis's AI back to v016 until I manage to fix it's bugs. God damn sieg heil, why can't they just salute like a normal Nazi.
- Removed bullet splash damage.
- Many minor fixes and new stuff that I forgot to mention.
- Now it's only one file for both sourceports. Still there is a crash after leaving the game on GZDoom, but it's not important.
Highest Rated (42 agree) 10/10
Brütal Doom clearly deserves a 10, for several reasons: First, it has been developed almost single handedly by a goodwill individual, who clearly has shown the outmost dedication and perseverance through 2 years of continued development, besides from being always open-minded and patient, hearing suggestions and criticism and enduring ludicrous amounts of flame-wars on some of the forums where the project was being discussed. Such professionalism must be taken in note. Second: the level of compromise…
Jun 9 2012, 11:57am by Manny_F.