Beautiful Doom is the grandfather of most enhancement mods, including the well-known Brutal Doom. First released back in 2008 this mod aims to improve each and every single object in Doom, making them smoother, more impressive visually and having better sounds while retaining VANILLA gameplay. Keeping original vanilla gameplay is the core of Beautiful Doom. You will see smoke, casings, debris, hugely enhanced gibbing system, smooth weapon animations, but it will all play the same as vanilla Doom plays with (G)ZDoom. However, for those, who don't like fully vanilla things, there are two player classes: the 'Vanilla Guns' class will give you guns that only look better but act the same as original Doom guns. The 'Enhanced Guns' class introduced as number of changes: for example fist and pistol are slightly more effective, and many weapons have alternative attacks which, while not really more powerful, provide certain tactical variety. Choose whichever you want!
Version 18.104.22.168 fixes some bugs, introduces a number of new HD sprites and generally smoothes out the last problems. It's now a full release.
Here's what's new in this version:
- In 22.214.171.124 Enhanced Guns still worked in Deathmatch because I made a mistake in the script. Now they don't.
- Dual Pistols don't spawn in Deathmatch games
- Fixed a bug where Shotgun Guy would stay mirrored (walk backwards) after being resurrected by an Arch-Vile
- Fixed a bug where Imp would show incorrect resurrecting animation after one of the 2 possible "plasma death" animations
- Cacodemon now shows corret resurrection animations depending on which death animation was used
- Enhanced Shotgun melee alt. attack doesn't alert monsters anymore
- Arachnotron's plasmaballs leave proper green decals, not blue ones
- Missing dynamic lighting when firing a weapon
- Decorative blood spawned by hanging dead bodies now properly disappears when landing on water
- Decorative dead bodies now never spawn blood if Advanced Bleeding is off
- Missing sprite in Cyberdemon's death animation
- When connecting to a deathmatch game having selected Enhanced Guns you will see a message telling you they won't work, after which you'll be switched to Vanilla Guns
- Alternative death animation for Chaingun Guy, similar to Smooth Doom, but with improved blood graphics (and less smooth, to correspond to the original sprite rate)
- Sprite variations for decorative marine corpse
- All scripts connected to toggling special effects were moved to the MAIN wad, so that now there's only one section of controls related to turning on/off the SFX in 'Customize Controls'
- Decorative dead bodies don't spawn decorative blood as often
- Changed the font and the position of the SFX-toggle on-screen messages
- Added improved HD sprites for Medikit, Stimpack, Berserk, Health Bonus, Green Armor and Blue Armor
You can check the txt in the zip file to see what else was added in the minor versions between 126.96.36.199 and 188.8.131.52.