Almost three months have past since beta 0.9.0 and now we have enough progress to warrant another release which we hope will sprout an online community! We are currently working on some final balance fixes and implementing our third map for the second beta, Beaker Island, which supports land & air combat! Advance Wars veterans should recognize it as map #3 in the Vs. Room!
When will it be out?!
What this mod WILL NOT HAVE
- Blue Moon, Yellow Comet, Green Earth and Black Hole armies.
- Silos, pipes, the Neotank and any AWDS units and structures.
- CO's and associated powers and stats.
- A full library of maps.
- Music and custom voices.
- Destruction animations.
- Custom menus.
- Custom infantry, mech and vehicle pilot art (the units are functional with RA3 art)
- Terrain effects and bonuses.
- Working AI. Playing a match with any level of AI will cause the game to crash.
Why are these not included?
Same as with the first beta, we want to balance things in stages. We've done some adjustments to the land units and now it's the turn of the airforce and navy. Also with the summer exam season approaching again, mod work will slow down significantly so we hope to compensate for that by hosting online matches & events to bridge this gap.
What this mod WILL HAVE
- Playable Orange Star land, sea and air forces.
- Working game play mechanics for the standard game mode inducing cities, bases, HQs and capturing.
- Relatively balanced units (from internal testing)
- 4 working maps, Little Island, Frosty Canal, Beaker River and a 4 player map!
- Custom loading screen.
- Unit/building descriptions, icons and portraits.
- Unit decals and new team colours.
Please leave feedback here including bug reports, balance concerns, over used and underused units and general replays here!
We advise you arrange matches via this forum thread or via our steam group. To keep order and make matchmaking much easier, we suggest that everyone should use casual 16 for Frontline matches!
To install the mod, drag the "Frontline" folder into the "Mods" folder found in "C:\Users\ USERNAME \Documents\Red Alert 3\Mods", if the "Mods" folder does not exist, create it.
To launch the Frontline, open the Red Alert 3 Control Centre, select "Game Browser" then open the "Mods" tab, select Frontline and press "Launch Game".
In the event of the skirmish screen not allowing you to select a map, army or team colour, delete the "skirmish.ini" file from "C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Red Alert 3\Profiles\PROFILE NAME" then relaunch the mod, this should fix the problem, though we advise that you create a profile specifically for AW: Frontline use to prevent this from reoccurring!
To finish off I'd like to stress how important it is that you give us feedback while our fanbase is still small so we can improve Frontline and get an even larger community!
We will hopefully be hosting an event for when we release the beta that will most likely take the form of a tournament or just a drop in session where you fight who ever else turns up! Expect another article in regards to that closer to the time of release.
To finish off, here are some screenshots of the third beta 2 map, Beaker Island!