Hallo. I am Gabrilduro, the Developer of this Western Mod of M&B WB v. 1.153/1.158. I always dreamt of a Western videogame or of a ACW videogame and this Mod has them both and is an Rpg in 1st/3rd and strategic view. It is for a Single Player Campaign, but has also Custom Battles and a cool Multiplayer (even in Coop mode!) with playable Factions of the American Civil War and Wild Frontier, Mexican Second Empire and Indian Wars. DOWNLOAD LINK for last UPDATES of 1860s Old America is in the Update and Download section. Just click it. Sorry, but you will NOT get any assistance here. Please go to the main Homepage on Talesworld Thread and post a comment there....to get all the explainations, watch Videos, Pics and posts. Thank you Gabrilduro PS....DO NOT forget to RATE the mod in the REVIEW section, folks!!!
I'm submitting this low score not because the mod is bad. It's an ambitious mod witch fails in the expected areas. I'm giving it a low score because the author insists on selling the final release in return for good reviews. A complete disregard for any creative criticism and an extremely disrespectful practice to both the community that supports it, and those who intend for and use the review system for it's intended purpose. NOT being used to blackmail users into giving the mod good press.
Many have criticised Gabrilduro for his extremely obnoxious behaviour in the past, but this has taken it to a whole new level, his cult of personality is out of control, and it's time for a long, hard reality check. The below image is a small collection found through a few minutes of browsing the 1860 mod forums:
As for the mod. It's average. It's a full conversion with many weak areas, the majority of textures are downright ugly (http://i.imgur.com/CLGOguw.jpg), The map is empty and lacking in any polish (http://i.imgur.com/N2FaUVR.jpg), And many of the flavour items are simply ported from some of "Gabby's" older mods, which are of a worse quality than this. (http://i.imgur.com/tDlpnm0.jpg)(Those "Only MP" factions prove my point exactly) And don't get me started on the multiplayer (http://i.imgur.com/JG0L8X9.jpg.
I suppose that's all I can say about the 1860's Old America mod and the powers that run it. The only positives I can possibly say are that the music choice is stellar for assisting immersion, if only the rest of the mod hadn't stopped that happening a long time ago.
As of late, the modder decided to hold the final release until his ego get pleased on moddb by having this particular mod reaching 1000 rates that should not be under 5, on top of that instalocking the thread about it without a single reply posted.
While the mod is excellent, this aptitude quickly ruin the consumer's experience, and unless gabby decide to pass a reality check, this mod won't get a final release.
I love it. Everything I want, can't wait for updates!
But I gave it a 6 because of it's actual functionality.
Many times, if you join up in a battle with another general, and you end up falling in battle, whether you lose all your people or not, you get kicked out to a party of 1, and are immediately attacked by the enemy and will lose.
I have fought a battle going in with 60 guys, lost the battle, only losing 30 people (wounded & killed), I was able to leave the battle, but somehow I only had 14 people left. That is not good at all!
My biggest problem tho, is the fact that if you fall, which with slightly accurate guns can happen a lot, you will lose the battle. I had one where I fell, and had 18 guys left, versus 4 enemy. Easy win. I tried auto-resolving but it got to the point where it was 10 vs 1, then 8 vs 1, then 4 vs 1, so I stepped in to fight and kill the one guy, if I hadn't, they would have lost. Big disappointment.
Another problem is the fact that there is no real way to make money, without already having a ton of it. That being said, the way I've managed to make money is going town to town and attacking raiders, because nine times out of ten, a village will be filled with raiders for you to kill. This is so often it is ridiculous and it should be toned down, a lot. But it is the only way I could make money by taking my "just dues".
Other than those major problems, I love this game and am going to continue playing it and i REALLY hope the updates keep coming regularly. It would be a shame for this MOD to not get further developed.
After playing the recent release that came out in December I have to say it has vastly improved since it was released. I'm not going to comment on people talking about cult of personalities or prior mods that he has made that make it "unacceptable" in the "communities" eyes. I'm here to base on experience.
1. The map has more settlements than the previous two releases. A step in the right direction as it seems to have meat and not bones.
2. The bandits no longer travel in war parties of 30 as a majority but they exist none the less.
3. Towns seem to have an overhaul in appearance. Since I played as the Confederates I noticed that their is no ferry and the bandit was several leagues away.
4. The bandit camps or I assume they are bandit camps are now in the open. This is also a good move I guess since they are seen everywhere and I guess they server more of a dungeon than a place of interest.
These are improvements that must be noted and worth the while for those who are returning. How ever there are still some bugs and issues that haven't been resolved yet and they must be addressed.
1. New comers will notice that they start at level 7 with over 40 in strength. Why is this you ask? Simple the A.I. have weapons that can either kill you in 4 shots or one if you are close enough.
2. The towns still give 1 to 2 units and even in vanilla you got maybe 4 or 5. So it makes building a small fighting force against the A.I. a challenge.
3. Nation that have (MP) exist only to disappear in a week saying defeated. I don't know why this exists in the game I couldn't tell you.
4. Even with these villages being around it still feels, dead in some ways. I think if their were more towns and more generals it would fill the void of the map. A map of that size demands armies of that magnitude and towns and castles as well.
Even though it says final release, which I hope it is not, the game is still fun and challenging. If you like westerns you will like the challenge.