Creative Director at Fan Studios, to know more about my work visit designludico.com or the official company page FanStudios.com.br
This is a list of 6 mental motivators for human brains, created with the objective of pleasuring and motivating people to take action and to work on life-related jobs. In this case, I apply it specifically in digital gaming.
1) Experience Bar (Progress Measuring) – Experience bars record the progress, something that Jesse Schell really emphasized. The idea of not rewarding the player for his achievements (tests, tasks, objectives) but by always getting 1xp, for any action. This invokes a notion of always evolving.
2) Multiple Tasks (Long and short-term) – Getting 10.000 special cards is boring, getting 10 especial cards, is fun. And to get the 10 cards there is several small different tasks. Finding one, fight for other, studying to get another, and by getting them all, the objective of collecting is done. Short objectives together sums up to a long one, and it’s all worth it. The complex quest is split in important pieces, so that people can grasp it with the limited human vision and feel encouraged to win.
3) Effort Reward* (All efforts are rewarded) – Every time something is done, it is won credit, experience, money, pieces, blood, souls, mana, power... not just for completing, but also for trying. You don’t punish faults, but reward every little effort with small rewards, but instant ones.
4) Feedback to the player (Clear, quick, clean) – This is absolutely necessary. The best example is to note that people don’t relate acts to consequences and the human brain needs this to worry. Pollution, global warming, flooding, public violence are problems caused by us too, but the guilt is shared, the manifestation is small, it stays out of the human worry, the consequences are distant in space and time, it’s hard to learn a lesson from this. By direct and quick feedback they can understand, learn and change very fast.
5) The element of uncertainty (Neurologic secret, the magical reward of the brain) An known effort delights people, but an effort with variable possibilities fascinates the brain, makes it sparkle. Dopamine is associated with an “effort-search” behavior, so if the player have to save a tree to get a card, and by saving the tree, he also saves, unexpectedly, a bird that accompanies him in his travels, this fascinates the player in a high manner.
6) Social Network (other people are exciting) - What really excites the player the most are other people, in terms of effort, not money. In the sense of people seeing, commenting, participating, working together. The Social Network organizes and carry on games by itself: it creates items, expansions, patches, websites to improve what was done by the network. In a collaborative effect, they thrill, in a “competition” sense, they also try harder and hotter to keep up trying and growing. Competition balanced with comparison are keywords here.
The power you get by using this 6 characterics is huge. It’s really powerful in the good and bad sense. Whether for education, conscience or entertainment, as in for addiction, domination and control of the mental faculties influenced by centuries of evolution of the human brain to a better life, survival and interaction of our race.
The use of these gimmicks can be cruel, or they can be a mind treat. Be careful and respectful when using them. I could even cite some of the bad uses of these, but I’ll refrain to talk about this because of that little thing called ‘ethics’ that I don’t like very much.
By Thiago Attianesi (Creative Director at Fan Studios)
Translated by Anderson Canafistula
Influence mentor Jesse Schell
No blogs were found matching the criteria specified. We suggest you try the blog list with no filter applied, to browse all available. Join now to share your own content, we welcome creators and consumers alike and look forward to your comments.
Join us every week for our definitive one-stop podcast to quench your thirst for outstanding independent games. From clever old school 8-bit freebies...
They are places where "Z axis" does not exist, only YX reign, the word is unknown 3D, games are simple but should be played, many of them will make us...
The 6th gen is the 128-bit era, this is the time of the ps2, xbox, game cube and sega dreamcast, there was apperintly another console called the XaviXPort...
If you are a Android user, lover, developer... don't wait, join us!
This group has been formed to gather the people who enjoy Japanese anime and all of its facets, to salute the people from the land of the Rising Sun.
We are enabling everyone to create mobile apps. Our Corona SDK is the world's most advanced development platform and is quickly becoming the industry-standard...
This group was created for all the Brazilians and people that love this country on Moddb. / Este grupo foi criado para todos os brasileiros ( brazukas...
waz up! this is a fan group for science fiction,fantasy fans and dark forces and warhammer fans.come on join and be a member.and know you are not alone...
No groups were found matching the criteria specified. We suggest you try the group list with no filter applied, to browse all available. Start a group and help us achieve our mission of showcasing the best content from all developers. Join now to share your own content, we welcome creators and consumers alike and look forward to your comments.