I am The Evina. I do a little bit of everything from making maps for Cry of Fear and Source games to writing fiction novels to programming and web design and many other things. I like to review Source mods. A perfect 10 is reserved for mods that blow my mind. This is a list of mods I have contributed to: G String (voice acting [announcer]), Aperture Beginnings (voice acting [announcer]), Cry of Fear (creator of the custom campaign "The Hole").
Game Review on Oct 27th, 2012
No review provided
Mod Review on Sep 24th, 2012
For once I can see Half-Life as a true masterpiece. Now Black Mesa is actually a research facility worthy of rivalry with Aperture.
To be honest, there are very few flaws, and the flaws were insignificant in the whole picture. I loved everything so much that I decided to instead note what I liked even more than than normal.
- The grainy filter overlay when the player gets near radiation. That was very creative.
- The subtle changes from the original gameplay that streamlined the experience where parts lagged.
- Lots of bonus dialogue and easter eggs, such as the toilet paper scene. That's interesting and makes the world even more like-like.
I am looking forward to Xen.
Mod Review on Sep 11th, 2012
Stupid but hilarious.
Game Review on Sep 4th, 2012 - 1 person agrees 1 person doesn't
This was absolutely stunning. The voice acting, choreography, mapping, textures, and everything else was Valve quality. The story and cutscenes were pretty good as well. So far this is the best mod I have played based on the design of the real episode 2. You get my full approval.
The only things I am not entirely satisfied with are the length (which was kind of short but still very high quality), and that ship that was impossible to shoot down without cheating, for me at least.
Mod Review on Sep 4th, 2012
Not bad. This is obviously an art mod. And all the textures and models are new, but nothing else. Weapons, GUI, and sounds are essentially the same. There really is no story or anything like that but it's kind of interesting to look at for a while. Very large mod package and laggy because all of it is crammed into 3 large and detailed maps.
Mod Review on Sep 1st, 2012
This is a good mappack. It was very hard as promised but fun along the way. I admit there were some parts where I cheated or looked at spoilers (something I never do unless I have to), but I still managed to figure out a lot more than I thought I could. The dialogue was well written and reminded me of stuff GLaDOS would say.
Game Review on Aug 29th, 2012
Keys, keys, and more keys.
This game has no monsters, no horror, and a very linear puzzle-based gameplay. It's very unlike the others. Its main purpose is to finish up the story of the series and it does that fairly well, although it may still be up to your interpretation. The new things include a bunch of dialogue and some new places and puzzles to try.
Mod Review on Aug 28th, 2012
- Unique and very highly detailed style, although the dirty/rusty isn't my favorite look. I think the quality of the textures and the mapping is the biggest plus of this mod.
- The text and background during level transitions was epic like the ones made by Frictional Games.
- Somewhat suspenseful. I felt like I was being watched or about to be attacked at any moment.
- The music wasn't always appropriate. It was not nearly as dark as the terror-inducing soundtrack found in Cry of Fear.
- Although everyone has a different difinition of "scary", this mod was not all that scary. It didn't connect with me emotionally enough to make the things truly frighten me. The jump scares work but that's all.
- Stig didn't fit Grey's part all that well imho.
- The voice of Grey wasn't unneeded most of the time he spoke. Sometimes like when a monster flies by and scares the player, he doesn't need to calmly say "What the f was that?" It's best if he's silent and the player can just assume what he's thinking or saying.
- Hard difficulty; It doesn't have to be hard, it just needs to make the player think that it could be hard. Amnesia did this well.
- Not a true total conversion. Many models are clearly just reskinned and many of the sounds are original HL2 assets which constantly remind me of it.
- Interacting with stuff was strange using the use key. Also that hand animation didn't seem to belong.
- Objectives were not obvious; this was the most frustrating thing in the mod. Sure, some things to look for are small, but I still found it too hard. The memos and hints were rarely all that useful.
- Short length, or shorter than the player is made to believe. The ending in normal mode is unexpected and unsatisfying.
This is an ok mod, but not without some serious flaws. There are so many horror mods out there that they all eventually start mirroring each other. Was this all worth what it was hyped up to be? I'm not sure, but it was still enjoyable.
Mod Review on Aug 23rd, 2012 - 1 person agrees
I'll start by saying that my rating is not based on any religious prejudice. The music was nice, the design although simple, was interesting (for a little while at least). I sadly had an extremely hard time understanding any of it. I wish the player would be told ahead of time that they would need bible and math knowledge. Also, I think some more work and time could have been put into it so it wouldn't just be a bunch of white hallways with decals.
Game Review on Aug 23rd, 2012
This game was long, dark, elegant, and deeply disturbing. There were several times I was genuinely startled. The monsters were frightening. Truly a great horror game.
The use of more secondary characters aided the story. The puzzles were complex but not extremely difficult, leading the player around large areas in a non-linear way. It was fascinating but sometimes it bombarded the player with too many details. I ended up with probably over a hundred pages of notes.
The dialogue was amazing, but I won't spoil anything about it. There were several places where the player is taken out of reality to solve puzzles somewhere else, again I won't say where. This was very fun.
I can't say the Amnesia is better than this. They are on par for being some of the best horror games I've played.