I've been going around as a writer, but started getting drawn into Concept Art and 3D modeling. I'm currently finishing my studies as a 3D artist and will then be let loose on the world. Beware!

  • View media
  • View media
  • View media
  • View media
  • View media
  • View media
first_diffuse
embed
share
view previous next
Share Image
Share on Facebook Tweet Email a friend
Embed Image
Comments
SinKing Author
SinKing

I think my next iteration will look nicer. I'll do a different color for the inner and outer shell, first of all. I didn't realize they look so simlar.

My hopes are that with lightmaps fixed, I'll no longer have these ugly black seams. I'll surely tweak the texture in a few areas.

Reply Good karma+1 vote
booman
booman

Looking really nice! I love the worn concrete texture!

Reply Good karma Bad karma+1 vote
Post a comment
Sign in or join with:

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.

Description

I didn't mean to sound smug. I do work under NDA, but I still make a lot of mistakes. I'm working on a better understanding of the different modules.

One big difficulty is figuring out the resolution of the lowpoly.
I went a bit too low on this one perhaps, even though it is still roughly 1100 polygons. I'll post a picture of the wireframe, too.

The entire process works out like this for me:

Blockout > High Poly > Low Poly > UVmap > Smoothing Groups from Uv islands > Triangulate > Cage > Bake > UDK > Texture

Once I understand the purpose of each step and did it a few times,I get a deeper understanding for what is missing. I had planned to make a trim for the bottom of the pillar anyway, but this model has lightmap issues. The going back and forth fixing is also a bit unnerving, but got a lot less.

Details
Date
By
SinKing
Size
355×862
Options
URL
Embed
Embed Thumb
Share
Feed
RSS feed