I'm still active on Smokin' Guns 1.1 branch and I just want to present a little my work on rev310. The great news, it is another step toward a beta staging... The bad news, It helps to show new nasty bugs in Smokin' Guns...
So here is my published comment for that r310:
sg_tequila wrote: Weapon fire code refactoring:
- Added Weapon_Trace API to easily add trace debugging entity in debug build
It is now possible to visually debug trace on client side (only in debug build)
- Added g_debugWeapon cvar in debug build
- Review some code in prevision to higher refactoring:
FireWeapon & ShotgunPellet should share some code in next update
- Really check we are not shooting ourself
- Added shader and picture to draw trace debuggung entities
- Added sg_developer.pk3 PAK creation and copy in copyfiles-debug target
I won't go deeply in any code explanation, sources are opened and they should be self-explaining for any interested hacker. This r310 revision is firstly a hack to refactor the weapon fire code. I really think this is just a first step as we have 2 kinds of shoot, gun bullets and shotgun pellets, and their respective code is now more similar than ever.
Also for who doesn't know about Smokin' Guns, we have a great feature: we are able to shoot through walls. You can just now check my video section to see how trace can now be debugged to just show how it behaves.
PS: You can follow our discussion about that revision in our forum:
Weapon fire code refactoring