HoN Modder and Gamer
Thanks Wesp! I am reading about Project Vaulderie and it looks very promising!
Wesp, first of all I want to thank you for your many years improving this game making it 300% better than it was at release!
Second, I want to ask two questions:
Is there any plans on reducing loading instances by making the maps bigger? You see, today's hardware can handle a lot bigger maps and one of the things that feels most outdated about V:BL right now is the numerous loading instances that can happen every 3 minutes as you roam arround the map/maps. I know this involves mapping and lots of work but would make gameplay so much more fluid.
Are there any plans on translating the mod to other languages?
Guys, are you adding hit animations? It looks weird that you are hitting enemies with bullets and they won't even move/react to the impact... also please add a hardcore mode where weapons are alot more deadly... because right now every man is a walking tank.
Thank you so much for your hard work.
Just wanted to say I am done incorporating all the HD stuff found in HoN 3.0.
This last week has been particularly rewarding since an awesome coder, Xewl, contacted me and offered to aid me with his outstanding modding skills to help speed up the release of the new and probably last version of the HoN2DotA mod... Last with the old engine that is... since he achieved a mayor breakthrough that can only be described as "A dream come true for any HoN modder". That is his project thou… but I will be supporting his endeavor with all the resources I have and everything the HoN2DotA mod has to offer to the gaming community is at his disposal.
This news has motivated me to increase the amount of work hours dedicated to the mod again… so you guys can expect a mayor release within a 2 week period starting today.
English, Spanish and Perhaps Portuguese only. Sorry but there are no chinese crew members on the modding team.
HoN is not required to run the mod, this includes all the files from the client since HoN is free to play. In fact, you need to install the mod to a different directory from your regular HoN installation.
Maybe someone should do a "HoN2LoL" Mod, sadly this is HoN2DotA so we are limited by our own name...
You should always restart HoN2DotA after each match. (Both the server and the clients). Otherwise it will lag, show errors and crash to desktop. About the bots, they are very very CPU intensive and sadly the client is not "Multicore Optimized" so one CPU core is doing all the work.
Sorry about the delay... we've added so much for the latest release that it justs requires a lot more balance tests and polish. We've added most HoN heroes and even remade a few that were underused and required better skills badly. We will release a preview in January 2013 and ETA for next mayor version is Feb. 10, 2013.
This version of the engine is fairly old and unoptimized, therefore it is very CPU and RAM intensive. Also you should restart the client after each match to avoid crashed or low performance.
This will be improved in version 3.0, but not by much since we are adding lots of heroes, maps and features.
Hardcore mode and the Mission made my day! Thanks for the extraordinary effort to improve this already awesome mod!
Now that is a solid rifle from a solid mod with solid animations coming to a groundbreaking mod ;)
Sleeping Dragon=China? Brown Bear=Russia? Hahahaha one can only dream ;)
So true! Happy birthday by the way! Heard you turned 31 some time ago! I am 28... we are getting old my friend... but just like wine ;)
The impact of these small cosmetic improvements on gameplay is huge!, specially once you have as many as TH has... Keep it up!
I see... well I guess the aim of the mod is to balance things now instead of adding new things... that is ok the mod already adds much more than any fan could've wished for... Funny how I was asking things for TH2 that not even Blizzard could get right for D3... Keep it up!
I read in your mod description that you are looking for suggestions for TH2.
The Hell is already a pretty balanced and fun masterpeace. It is alot better than vanilla! but there is no denying that the TCP/IP Feature was key to its success.
Starting from there, here are some suggestions for TH2:
1) Allow more than 4 players in multiplayer. (A revolutionary feature just like TCP/IP was when you added it for TH) This feature will be a massive new players bringer!
2) HD resolutions (720p; 1080p): Another feature that players look forward the most!
3) More class specific Skills/Spells (Make classes more unique). Also that your skills can be improved by reading. (Example: A book of Item Repair for the Pally to improve his item reapair skills).
4) Fighting monsters on tristam's surroundings instead of dungeons: The idea is simple yet extremely cool: Just like you can you go a cave north of tristam to take a shortcut to level 8, there should be shortcuts but to surrounding parts of tristam (Like a haunted forest, a graveyard, a flooded marsh, a mountain pass etc). Monsters should be there and perhaps a few new NPCs. This new areas could be used to further tell the horrors behind Diablo's awakening.
Diablo is very weak on its story telling. Further improve the history and background of the characters, the npcs and the world. Grissworld talking about Paladins and their history, Peppin talking about how a Gladiator saved his life etc etc would bring the world back to life.
Well, that's it for now... Some of those suggestions are easier to implement and some are very hard but all are important, some revolutionary.
Keep up the great work Mordor.
Well, some of the best things in life come from sheer luck I guess... thou this was more than just that. Experimentation and a A Well-Tuned Mind are required to even acknowledge that the right balance was achived. Time is the most important thing we have and you and your team have given lots of yours so we, the players, can have lots of fun with an old game that would otherwise be uninstalled and forgotten. You may not get a thank from most of the players but the fact that you get so many "When is the release date for XX verision" actually is an implicit: "This is important to me" statement.
I've been playing lots of PR lately, because of the falkland release with new weapon deviation and all (And I live next to the falkland islands)... and all I can say is... Alpha Project is so much more fun! It just has the exact mix of realism and fun.
There is no question about PR's quality and content far surpases those of any other mod with perhaps the only exception of FH2 yet for me 10 minutes of AP has more action and fun than 40 of PR. PR requires 60+ players to be fun while a 10 vs 10 in AP can be an incredible experience. For the ultimate LAN experience always go for AP ;)
Ok, thanks my friend... will see if I can find that mod :)
Any way to port this hud to BF2? Battlefield.play4free.com
I Love your Hud! Can you make the Minimap a square?
Hey Challenger, you should be happy they are not mixed together... PR rounds last for hours and you are lucky if you even see who shot you... the new firing mechanic is realistic but unintuitive (You need to stay still for a few seconds after moving or you won't hit an elephant in front of you) the maps are very nice but overly big for no reason (Making them feel like huge ghost towns) and so only scoped weapons are reliable. Vehicles require kits and various squad members to operate making it no longer a game but a chore to use... the sound thou... the sound effects in PR are so much better... Shots are loud, scary, and you know where they came from... tank shots in PR can make my day... AP could also use the minimalistic HUD and suppression effect thou... and you gotta love the field dressing...
No problem... I know you want to remain true to the movie! What I will suggest is some unique assets once in a while on the map for reference so it is easier to navigate... like you see that different tree and you know where you are...
I love that you get inspiration from movies for your maps! No wander why I feel like I am in a movie in some of your maps! Battlefieldsingleplayer.com
In that map may I suggest a few small waterfalls coming from the mountains ;) I live in south america and I am used to that kind of jungle terrain ;)
Allright, that one has more sizes and perhaps better sky. Ask him for permition to upload it here and I will give him full credit ;)
Actually the differences come from the mod itself rather than the map... the battle feels alot more real with Alpha Project ;)
I don't really know... there wasn't in the oficial release nor in the map packs posted here in Moddb so I added it. ;)
If you have a better version I will gladly replace this :)
This guy's minimalistic hud looks great: Youtube.com
Speacially the mini map, takes so little off the screen that we can now focus on the fight rather than the giant ball map on the top right :)
I had a dream:
- Enterable buildings: (just like all the buildings in the FH2 mod maps). Right now most battles are forced to be waged on the streets, defenders do not get the advantage of getting cover from vehicles inside buildings and so do the snipers... The game therefore ends up not looking as realistic as it could/should. Causally the mod leader is an awesome mapper so this feature could be doable in the future (I hope :).
- Real war mode: One life per round, vehicles don't respawn. (Choose your loadout and vehicles carefully!)(Play many rounds instead of very long rounds!)
- Remove the permanent sandstorm from Karkand: Pehaps a smaller sandstorm once in a while but right now I feel like a great map is not played that often because long range vehicle and infantery combat are not a viable in its current condition.
- Longer Viewdistances for all maps and not just a few: (but too much is not really needed) Actually I tried the singleplayer evolved mod with the fog totally removed and it run just fine on my 2 year old macbook pro, but that might be too much for very old computers. Still we need viewdistances to be at least at frostbite levels for the cinematic feel. Frostbite is the most photo realistic map because of its longer viewdistance, I mean it looks just like a postcard from a James Bond movie! Gotta love that map!).
If you like any of these ideas please don't delay ver. 0.2 just to implement them, but consider them for ver 0.3 :)