Freelance Characterartist for national and international games or film productions.
there are updates every other day, how could it be dead? :)
right now we are moving UDK, going commercial is possible, we are talking to people, but thats all i can say right now
udk demo is coming free for sure, its still pretty simple if you compare it to an actual game ;)
yeh i made his waist a bit slimmer but the pants a bit wide to balance it out
just some colors slapped under the baked shading, not really much textured besides some color variations on his face, still needs quite some work
almost no one of us is unemployed, we all are working in the industry, this is just freetime, thats why its so slow paced :)
who would have thought that ;)
its plain simple he is never gonna be around the grandpa, will use the exact same rig, and therefore its just a matter of saving time, the colorscheme will be changed though
naaah he is not fat, he is pretty skinny, but has a nice round beer belly and some pretty heavy and saggy clothes, he lives on the lighthouse it can get pretty windy and cold up there
then is classical sculpting and scanning also 3d modelling, well if you define it by having a 3d model as the end result, you are of course right, i'm defining it more by the way the model is done, sculpting gives you the freedom to conentrate on the forms, almost without any topology restrictions, the whole topology/technical issues goes one step back in the background and comes up only in the finishing process, while with "classical" 3d modelling it dictates the form and workflow quite a bit right from the beginning, its very technical and totally not intuitive.
No basicly because there is almost nothing modelled, i reused a premade basemesh, the same i used for the grandpa, which is part of mudbox.
all the clothes are just simple cutouts and then resculpted in zbrush, no modelling going on whatsoever.
The lowpoly is done in zbrush and 3dcoat and a bit in topogun, so again no modelling was used, the only thing that was really modelled from scratch is his hat, as i dodn'*t have anything in stock for it :)
hehe i wouldn't call it modelling at all
wir sitzen gerade an der ersten UDK Demo
ist nicht spiegelverkehrt und du hast recht, ich hab da einfach nach Konzept gearbeitet, aber ich machs mir jetz mal einfach und sage... er ist Linkshänder :P
Gürtel funktionieren ja in beide Richtungen
well none of the possibilities out there are perfect, if i had to chose which features i'd need for the perfect retopo app, id say:
- working on the highresmesh, like in topogun or 3dcoat, the retopo always stays on the highres
- shading of topogun, so that the retopo is always rendered in front of the highres but transparent, its a perfect visualization for retopo imho
- relax of topogun (which works on selection, as oposed to 3dcoat which only seems to work on the whole mesh which is bad)
- polystrips from polyboost, so you can paint a row of polygons easily onto the surface
- splinetool of 3dcoat, its awesome for cylindrical stuff, but basicly its is really pretty awesome for most stuff, especially the spline cut when you cast the line from outside the model, great feature
- strips from zbrush, so you can fill large areas very quick, you just place the boundaries and it automaticly fills the whole area, also very nice
- connect like in max, polyboost or topogun
- easy vertexwelding like in 3d coat
in conclusion all have their strengths and usefull features so i use whatever i think is best for a given model, and record it and stitch it all together in the end as one big timelapsed video compilation on how i created Garrido
1. yes, pretty much every member of this team is working in some way in the industry for years, speaking about myself, i'm working as a characterartist since almost 9 years so far, since 2 years as a freelancer with cycling projects. That said, it can happen that some of us won't find time to contribute every now and then, some are working on pretty highend products with tight deadlines such as crysis2 or brink, so it can happen that the day to day business sucks up the freetime we have for that project, thats why the development is pretty slow paced right now, sorry for that... ok but i'm drifting away...
2. as we will be using the same rig as the grandpa and as both won't be seen together at all, he will get the same hands as the grandpa has ingame, search for that on older images. I will just change the textures to fit him better. Making new hands/gloves wouldn't be such a big deal but why waste the time on something noone will recognize and as they are already rigged and skinned we just save this time too.
3. zbrush, 3dcoat, topogun, max whatever fits better on a per object base, right now i did the pants in 3dcoat and doing finetweaking in topogun
4. should be no problem at all :)
why should he, doesn't make sense at all, so... no, no knife and no rope ;)
already done that, of course he needs his cigars with him all the time
the old one can be found here
updated this image didn't want to upload another one, blocked the boots, added gloves, did the shirt and worked a bit on the pants
i see what you mean and its easy to fix, but the diriection is kinda dictated by the way the pants are stuck into the boots, but yeah, i'll look into it :)
just shoot, i'm far from finished ;)
the boots will be a bit bigger, its just a basemesh :)
but besides that is a wide pant a bit saggy, not super fat legs
I work 3dsmax in combination of zBrush and 3dcoat. As for the subtools, you can just fill them with a color, once you filled them they won't get darker when not active anymore. you can also just paint them, to do that you have to pick a colour, set your brush to RGB and turn of Zadd or Zsub and then you can paint just colours on a per poly base
does it look anywhere near finished? ^^
but in fact i already blocked that piece, just forgot to export it
at least i hope so :P
i don't know i never installed any mods on my ps3 version
well it depends i can upload every chunk on its own or i could upload it as a whole when the model is done.
well thats.. sorta... intended ;)
he is living alone on his lighthouse, i guess you get kinda crazy then :)
you can't, we planned to port the mod for ps3 but now that udk is out we are not going to do it as we are going standalone so i doubt there will be a ps3 version soon as udk doesn't support any of the consoles.
its still a project we work on in our freetime besides our day to day jobs, which are also in the gamedevelopment biz, so forgive us if there are times we just don't want to touch any game related work for a while, the development is sometimes really low paced, especially around convention or milestones etc ;)
wowowow wait a second, not that you expect too much, what we are talking about is the MSUC demo that has been converted to UDK, standalone, we fixed some old bugs and new issues that came up with the switch to udk.
If you played the last public build, don't expect way more content, there will be new stuff but it won't be a huge difference as you might think, the mayor difference is that it will be standalone, not a mod anymore you won't need to install ut3 or anything else to run it.
look, if we get the chance to produce it, for real - then of course we will take it
i highly doubt, a project of this size is doable on a freetime base in any reasonable time
congrats to all the competitors, you did an awesome job and congrats to all the winners, it's a pleasure to see what can be done on a indi base!