Quest Developer for the Middle Earth Roleplaying Project for Skyrim
To be honest, I know I, and others, on the team would like for factions to be just more then guilds. Remember that Cyrodiil is really just a single kingdom of sorts. Middle Earth is a whole continent. Factions in MERP should work as taking the side of Gondor, Rohan, Dale, etc. Don't get me wrong, guilds should exist as well as factions, but the major factions should be what really helps to define your character.
Being allied to Dunland (expect good factions to be focused more on then evil factions for the time being) for instance should mean that many good factions will look down upon you and may not even allow you inside their cities (especially Rohan). At least, I'm sure most of the team hope so.
I think I have a good estimate.
- The Wood Elves of Mirkwood would be at King Thranduil's Hall
- There is the city of Caras Galadhon is in Lothlorien
- The Elven outpost of Imladris (also known as Rivendell)
- Mithlond, the Grey Havens
That's four off the top of my head. That's not including any small outposts we may have around the western shoreline of Lindon or possible elven camps in Mirkwood. Oh, and expect a few Elven ruins to explore as well (Edhellond, Eregion (Hollin), possibly others).
Its the Witch King's Sword. The other Ringwraiths use a different kind of sword. All Ringwraiths also carry a secondary, smaller sword in the films as well. And of course there's the Morgul Blade that the Witch King stabs Frodo with on Weathertop.
Expect all 4 of these weapons in MERP ;)
@xenocide2003: No, never. Simply put, Ringwraiths have NO free will. They are slaves to Sauron and the One Ring, it wouldn't make sense to have a Ringwraith that's going out dungeon crawling for treasure and talking in leisure conversation to the Orcs of Mordor.
Go get the Game of the Year edition (has vanilla base Oblivion game, Knights of the Nine, and Shivering Isles). Its only like $20-30 in stores (at least where I am).
@dissonance: You really should check our Ning site for updates. MERP Beta 0.2.4 has been out for a few weeks already. The person running this Moddb page has left the team and it took us awhile to set it up so I was in charge of this Moddb page.
Anyways, expect more updates soon.
@lilernie6: You might wanna see a doctor about that :P
Ok, this goes out to many commentors: This is a Total Conversion mod where we have a completed, open-world heightmap that is still in the landscaping process. Everything you see on a Middle Earth map (http://files.meetup.com/238907/middle%20earth%20map%20wallpaper.jpg) (aside from Rhun, part of Mordor, and Harad) will be on our open-world heightmap.
Next thing is that MERP BETA VERSION 0.2.4 HAS BEEN RELEASED! Download it in one of these two locations:
Why the newest version hasn't been hosted on this page yet? There is only one guy (Sir_Eoran) who can edit this page, and he doesnt know how to give any other members on Moddb page rights. So you'll just have to wait until he updates this page in order to get the newest MERP files from Moddb.
Evil playable races won't be implemented until we have a good amount of content for the Good playable races first. As for the playable evil races in the future, expect Evil Men and one surprise race I bet no one here will guess (and no, we've decided Goblins, Orcs, and Uruk-hai won't be playable).
Our mod generally uses movie designs when it comes to armors. And of course, there are many areas in Middle Earth WITHOUT movie designs for. For those places, we get to use our own imaginations for :)
There's been a delay due to MAJOR bugs. We hope to release it within the next few days to the public.
@ davozk: Beta version 0.2.2 is already up for download on this Moddb page (check under downloads). Beta version 0.2.4 will be released this week, January 15!
MERP won't be using any of the music in Peter Jackon's LOTR Trilogy. Instead, we have members on the team that will be creating original music. Don't worry though, the current music work is quite good :)
The mod is about 1-2 GB in size, what do you expect? Our mod will only get bigger as we create more landscapes, populate Middle Earth with NPCs and Quests, etc.
Nope, it's not done yet. However, we do have a public Beta up for download: Merpmod.ning.com
Actually, you're better off filling out an Application over on MERP's Developer forums: Createforum.com
--------------- ATTENTION! ---------------
The current MERP Moddb page can be found here!
******************* ATTENTION EVERYONE! *******************
THE MERP MOD HAS A NEW ACCOUNT HERE ON MODDB!
CURRENT MERP MOD NEWS CAN BE FOUND HERE:
Although this mod is dead, fear not! There is a Middle Earth Oblivion mod still currently in the works (I should know, I'm on the mod team ;)):
We even have an early alpha of our work up for download here (requires Shivering Isles):
For the most part, I'm happy EA lost the liscense. Besides BFME1, The Two Towers, and ROTK games, I haven't been all that happy with what EA has done with the license:
They just don't know the lore!
- The amount of lore-inaccuracies in BFME2 alone is enough to drive any Tolkien lore fan insane(be it Goblin Spider Riders, Dragons in the Goblin faction, Dunlending Warg Riders, the Dwarf faction looks like it'd fit more at home in a Warhammer game, pretty much all of the Angmar faction, a giant Werewolf ... oh how I could go on!)
- The Third Age game sure didn't make much sense. Why is there a random group of Marty-Stus (and 1 Mary-Sue) helping Gandalf fight the Balrog in Moria!? And why am I FORCED to go everywhere the Fellowship did. Why didn't this group of heroes just go and join the Fellowship since they're just such huge wannabes. In fact, why not just make an RPG where we play AS THE ACTUAL FELLOWSHIP! Especially if the player isn't taking this group anywhere new (I would've loved to go to the Rhovanion!).
- LOTR Conquest has battlefield "Scouts" (I wasn't aware that being a scout in an army made you a ninja) that look like they popped right out of Assassin's Creed (ESPECIALLY the Gondor Scouts) and the game has Mages ... really? They couldn't come up with any other kinds of classes besides the 4 in this game!?
- EA cancelled the White Council RPG, a free-roaming LOTR RPG game. The one EA LOTR game that really interested me ... goes and gets canceled. THAT game should have been made over LOTR Conquest!
I'm sure I'll live without EA's LOTR games. Turbine, the makers of Lord of the Rings Online, are a GREAT example of what can trully be done with Tolkien's world! Ok, so there are a few gripes I even have with that game, but I digress ...
Check out the Oblivion mod entitled Middle Earth Roleplaying which I'm a Quest Developer for:
Hooray for the new Moddb entry! :D
Hope more screenshots from the Landscapers will be put up ;)