Also known as "Marcusyaho" Action/horror gamer and level designer. I can help you with more or less any Amnesia scripting and Level editor problems. I'm also available if you need a map tester
Mod Review on Feb 9th, 2014 - 4 people agree 2 people don't
Trails of the Toymaker delivers creative challanges and level design at it's finest. But I can't stop asking myself where the story line is. It barley is one.
You gave yourself a challange to see what you can make in two weeks, but that doesn't necessarily mean you have to upload it. If it weren't for the amazing level design and intresting ideas, I would probably not have liked this in the slighest, but even though it lacks what every single custom mod should have (not to mention how short it is), it still amazes me, and if you make a story in the future, I will be glad to play it.
Oh yeah, and by the way, don't do like The Chinese Room did, make nothing interactable. Being able to pick up stuff is one of many reasons why Amnesia is what it is today, don't take that away from us.
7/10 - Good
Mod Review on Jan 29th, 2014 - 7 people agree 3 people don't
This story is absoutely amazing! It really looks like you spent a lot of time on it.
Level design is stunning and the story is intresting. Not the scariest story I've played, but thanks to the well made atmopshere, it was pretty tense anyway.
The only "bad" things I can say about it is:
The quests were relativly easy. Some of them required some logic thinking, but still not very advanced and not hard to solve.
You don't use any supplies at all (tinderboxes, oil, sanity potions etc). They were not really necessary untill the "boss" battle (which were a challange), but they do give players a reason to explore more than required. As it is now, all I have to do is get what I need and move on. I don't need to search that extra room or check behind the pile of crates because it's nothing there anyway.
The final score is 9 because of the huge creativity and really intresting story line. And because I couldn't find any serious glitches and gamebreaking bugs.
9/10 - Awesome
on Jan 24th, 2014
- 4 people agree
2 people don't
This review may contain spoilers
- You know how to use custom stuff
- Short, super lame story
- Based on a youtuber
- Boring and rushed level design
- No challange
- Author does apparently not know how to bug test his own story
It's based on a youtuber. Do you need more information than that?
I took me around 15 minutes to reach the end. 20 minutes if you count that time I got stuck in the first Minecraft map and had no other option but to restart the story. Instead of walking down to the lava, I decided to randomly jump around which was enough to bug the story out completely.
The first key description is so long it's not even visible.
You must use the knife at the right angle on the prisoner. And funny part is, he didn't even die when I stabbed him.
I died by the suitor at the end. Death hint: "Mark died by lava".
This guy's humour is terrible, but the reasons why I only rate it 2/10 is because there is absoutely no point with it. Just some random, rushed maps with no challange or creativity in them at all. You know how to use custom items, but that is the only positive thing I can say about this story.
Next time, don't make a story for a youtuber because they are never appreciated. Second of all, don't rush with them (every map is around 2-3 mintues long each), add more details and most importantly, make a good story line.
2/10 - Really bad
Mod Review on Jan 20th, 2014 - 3 people agree
- A story
- A few custom musics and voice acting
- You made an intro
- Lack of ambient sounds and details
- Not very scary
- Lack of scripting
- A lot of level mistakes and glitches
- Really frustrating maze
- Bad ending
What to improve:
I was expecting the level design to be better than this considering the fact that several people worked on it. It has a lot of mistakes, like not making chairs/beds/tables with static props on them into static props, a few floating items and a lamp on the second floor which moved around like crazy. And most importantly, add more details and effects.
Also, while making the explosives, where did I get the second glasjar from when I used the knife on the pig? And why did I have to mix it in a glasjar and then put it in a metal container?
While your scripting is working perfectly fine, it feels to me like you could add more scripted events. Can be anything from scary sound effects to dust falling down from the broken ceiling. You have a few scares, but most of them are monster encounters.
The story is different from other stories that's for sure, but everything else is average. Voice acting, scares, level design, it's nothing really unique about it. It's not good, but it's not bad either.
5/10 - Average
Game Review on Jan 13th, 2014
I truly enjoyed this game. The plot is very unique and a lot of the times pretty touching and intense. I love the graphics, I love the characters and I love the fact that the game is, to a certain extent, based on your own choices.
This is a game I will remember and I recommend it to anyone that wants a creepy and challenging game in which you choose what you want the character to say and do.
10/10 - Masterpiece
Mod Review on Jan 13th, 2014 - 5 people agree 2 people don't
- Decent level design
- Good story line (at least to begin with)
- Some unique things
- Huge lack of story
- The only scares in the story are chase scenes pretty much
- The puzzles were most of the times very easy and boring
"Best custom story award".
How?! Okay, it's from 2011 and stories are generally much better nowdays as both the authors and the level editor improves, but still, this one as the best story?
First of all, it feels like you guys made a story line which were decently good, but after just 1-2 maps you completely gave up on it and focused only on the maps and added a chase scene in half of them.
The maps are nothing really special. Most of them are very short, undetaild and just looks pretty bland in generall and the puzzles and most of the scripts are pretty simple and boring.
On a side note, when I saw pictures of a jaguar monster and heard a jaguar sound in the forest map, I kinda expected a custom monster to appear. I was wrong. A bit disapointed but on the other hand you didn't say you added a custom monster.
I do understand why this story is so unique and popular, but to me it's another decent story. It's not bad, but it's not special either.
6/10 - Decent
Mod Review on Jan 8th, 2014 - 2 people agree 2 people don't
- Story line is a bit cliche, but still intresting and well made
- Very long story
- Hard and mostly intresting puzzles
- Different kind of enemies
- Music and custom materials
- A lot of areas including a whole map is copied from Justine (minus score on your creativity)
- The version I played have a lot of obvious mistakes in the english file, although that seems to be fixed in the new patch
- A lot of glitches, like if you touch trees you can fall through the map or if you throw items away and can't reach them, you have to restart. And if you don't have many saved games, that can be a huge pain in the ***
- The dogs/wolfs are so incredibly dumb it's ridiclous (A dog first saw me when I was less than 3 meters away from him, and even then he was dumb and ran around a barrel like a ******* before he began to chase me)
Neutral: (does not affect the score)
- I liked the mine, although it feels wierd that everything is Amnesia style and suddenly it's modern style
- Machine quests almost felt overused
- Seems like the conversion doesn't work for people with steam. It might just be my computer so I'm not giving you a lower score because of it though
I am very, very surprised. I voted the first part 4/10 due to the really low creativity level (you copied a lot of levels and quests) and when I play this part it's awesome, creative, and in overall really well made.
I don't know if you learned a lot while making part two or if you simply worked longer on this part, but what ever you guys did, continue that way and the final part will also be awesome for sure!
9/10 - Awesome
Mod Review on Jan 5th, 2014 - 2 people agree
- Surprisingly good level design
- Good scripting (some of it even unqie)
- Story line could be better
- Except for the tree, this has nothing to do with christmas at all. It's not even winter outside
- Your english is so horribly bad I was on a thin line to start crying
- What is the point of the bonus rooms? I didn't get any awards for completing them, in fact, my health and sanity was worse when I returned to the "normal" world
Why is it called "Lonely Christmas"? Is it because you released it around christmas time? Because that, and the christmas tree in the first room are the two only reasons I can think of. It doesn't focus on christmas or winter what so ever.
It was a scary experience though and I was surprised by how much time you spent on the level design and scripting. So far the story is thin, but otherwise it's actually not that bad. Looking forward for part 2!
(And before you upload part two, please spend more time on your translation. It's embarrassing)
7/10 - Good
on Jan 1st, 2014
- 2 people agree
1 person doesn't
This review may contain spoilers
- Great scripting (one of the better I've seen for quite some time)
- You worked a lot with the scares
- The "difficult" puzzle is not as difficult as you say it is
- Twelve keys is way too many. You should at least delete them when they are no longer required
- At the "match the room" puzzle, the scares repeats themselfs over and over again
- The music in map 3 was actually extremly annoying and does not fit Amnesia enviroments
- The grunt that spawns behind you when you need to find the right key in order to exit the first level doesn't really do anything, and the puzzle itself is very easy
- Level design is nothing special
- Story is weak
- No intro
It's a story with very well made scripting and scares but the plot is very weak. To me, it feels like you began to work on a story line but after a while just gave up on it.
You have a big focus on the puzzles, which are very unique but simple (you said the it was going to be difficult. I randomly moved around the crates untill a text confirmed I did it correctly. That in my opinion is not hard) and the scares are pretty well made to. And lucky that, otherwise it wouldn't be twice as entertaining as this story is now.
Working more on the story line and improve the very basic level design must be done in order for me to rate it higher. Still a great start though. Looking forward to the next part.
5/10 - Average
Mod Review on Dec 30th, 2013
- Very creative
- Amazing ideas
- Some of the level design is good
- Some really nice scripts
- First part of the story has horrible level design with glitches and empty rooms
- If you destroy the key in the glassjar on the orb pedal, you can't pick it up
- I load an auto save and everything was messed up (was forced to restart the story)
- Almost no monster encounters (I heard them 5-8 times at least. It showed up twice)
- The rollercoster was honestly bad and boring and did not make any sounds
- Lisa has a male kid voice
- Bright outside, enters the mansion, suddenly pitch black outside
- Unlocked a door with a musicbox (like, really?)
- "I see no reason to carry it with me" 10 seconds later I need the gascan... also, it lit itself
- Story in overall makes no sense
- Ending felt rushed
During the first part, I almost cried when I saw how horrible the level design were. Luckily it was better the second half. Still, it's a huge minus that a huge part of the story is so horribly made.
Nothing made any sense at all and you really need to do a little bug fix patch. Although, I loved your creativity and the story is not like anything I've ever seen before. Because of that, it still, even though it was so annoying to restart and the first part almost made me cry by how terrible it were, it still deserves a 6/10.
6/10 - Decent