Also known as "Marcusyaho" Action/horror gamer and level designer. I can help you with more or less any Amnesia scripting and Level editor problems. I'm also available if you need a map tester
Mod Review on Jan 20th, 2014 - 3 people agree
- A story
- A few custom musics and voice acting
- You made an intro
- Lack of ambient sounds and details
- Not very scary
- Lack of scripting
- A lot of level mistakes and glitches
- Really frustrating maze
- Bad ending
What to improve:
I was expecting the level design to be better than this considering the fact that several people worked on it. It has a lot of mistakes, like not making chairs/beds/tables with static props on them into static props, a few floating items and a lamp on the second floor which moved around like crazy. And most importantly, add more details and effects.
Also, while making the explosives, where did I get the second glasjar from when I used the knife on the pig? And why did I have to mix it in a glasjar and then put it in a metal container?
While your scripting is working perfectly fine, it feels to me like you could add more scripted events. Can be anything from scary sound effects to dust falling down from the broken ceiling. You have a few scares, but most of them are monster encounters.
The story is different from other stories that's for sure, but everything else is average. Voice acting, scares, level design, it's nothing really unique about it. It's not good, but it's not bad either.
5/10 - Average
Game Review on Jan 13th, 2014
I truly enjoyed this game. The plot is very unique and a lot of the times pretty touching and intense. I love the graphics, I love the characters and I love the fact that the game is, to a certain extent, based on your own choices.
This is a game I will remember and I recommend it to anyone that wants a creepy and challenging game in which you choose what you want the character to say and do.
10/10 - Masterpiece
Mod Review on Jan 13th, 2014 - 5 people agree 2 people don't
- Decent level design
- Good story line (at least to begin with)
- Some unique things
- Huge lack of story
- The only scares in the story are chase scenes pretty much
- The puzzles were most of the times very easy and boring
"Best custom story award".
How?! Okay, it's from 2011 and stories are generally much better nowdays as both the authors and the level editor improves, but still, this one as the best story?
First of all, it feels like you guys made a story line which were decently good, but after just 1-2 maps you completely gave up on it and focused only on the maps and added a chase scene in half of them.
The maps are nothing really special. Most of them are very short, undetaild and just looks pretty bland in generall and the puzzles and most of the scripts are pretty simple and boring.
On a side note, when I saw pictures of a jaguar monster and heard a jaguar sound in the forest map, I kinda expected a custom monster to appear. I was wrong. A bit disapointed but on the other hand you didn't say you added a custom monster.
I do understand why this story is so unique and popular, but to me it's another decent story. It's not bad, but it's not special either.
6/10 - Decent
Mod Review on Jan 8th, 2014 - 2 people agree 1 person doesn't
- Story line is a bit cliche, but still intresting and well made
- Very long story
- Hard and mostly intresting puzzles
- Different kind of enemies
- Music and custom materials
- A lot of areas including a whole map is copied from Justine (minus score on your creativity)
- The version I played have a lot of obvious mistakes in the english file, although that seems to be fixed in the new patch
- A lot of glitches, like if you touch trees you can fall through the map or if you throw items away and can't reach them, you have to restart. And if you don't have many saved games, that can be a huge pain in the ***
- The dogs/wolfs are so incredibly dumb it's ridiclous (A dog first saw me when I was less than 3 meters away from him, and even then he was dumb and ran around a barrel like a ******* before he began to chase me)
Neutral: (does not affect the score)
- I liked the mine, although it feels wierd that everything is Amnesia style and suddenly it's modern style
- Machine quests almost felt overused
- Seems like the conversion doesn't work for people with steam. It might just be my computer so I'm not giving you a lower score because of it though
I am very, very surprised. I voted the first part 4/10 due to the really low creativity level (you copied a lot of levels and quests) and when I play this part it's awesome, creative, and in overall really well made.
I don't know if you learned a lot while making part two or if you simply worked longer on this part, but what ever you guys did, continue that way and the final part will also be awesome for sure!
9/10 - Awesome
Mod Review on Jan 5th, 2014 - 2 people agree
- Surprisingly good level design
- Good scripting (some of it even unqie)
- Story line could be better
- Except for the tree, this has nothing to do with christmas at all. It's not even winter outside
- Your english is so horribly bad I was on a thin line to start crying
- What is the point of the bonus rooms? I didn't get any awards for completing them, in fact, my health and sanity was worse when I returned to the "normal" world
Why is it called "Lonely Christmas"? Is it because you released it around christmas time? Because that, and the christmas tree in the first room are the two only reasons I can think of. It doesn't focus on christmas or winter what so ever.
It was a scary experience though and I was surprised by how much time you spent on the level design and scripting. So far the story is thin, but otherwise it's actually not that bad. Looking forward for part 2!
(And before you upload part two, please spend more time on your translation. It's embarrassing)
7/10 - Good
on Jan 1st, 2014
- 2 people agree
1 person doesn't
This review may contain spoilers
- Great scripting (one of the better I've seen for quite some time)
- You worked a lot with the scares
- The "difficult" puzzle is not as difficult as you say it is
- Twelve keys is way too many. You should at least delete them when they are no longer required
- At the "match the room" puzzle, the scares repeats themselfs over and over again
- The music in map 3 was actually extremly annoying and does not fit Amnesia enviroments
- The grunt that spawns behind you when you need to find the right key in order to exit the first level doesn't really do anything, and the puzzle itself is very easy
- Level design is nothing special
- Story is weak
- No intro
It's a story with very well made scripting and scares but the plot is very weak. To me, it feels like you began to work on a story line but after a while just gave up on it.
You have a big focus on the puzzles, which are very unique but simple (you said the it was going to be difficult. I randomly moved around the crates untill a text confirmed I did it correctly. That in my opinion is not hard) and the scares are pretty well made to. And lucky that, otherwise it wouldn't be twice as entertaining as this story is now.
Working more on the story line and improve the very basic level design must be done in order for me to rate it higher. Still a great start though. Looking forward to the next part.
5/10 - Average
Mod Review on Dec 30th, 2013
- Very creative
- Amazing ideas
- Some of the level design is good
- Some really nice scripts
- First part of the story has horrible level design with glitches and empty rooms
- If you destroy the key in the glassjar on the orb pedal, you can't pick it up
- I load an auto save and everything was messed up (was forced to restart the story)
- Almost no monster encounters (I heard them 5-8 times at least. It showed up twice)
- The rollercoster was honestly bad and boring and did not make any sounds
- Lisa has a male kid voice
- Bright outside, enters the mansion, suddenly pitch black outside
- Unlocked a door with a musicbox (like, really?)
- "I see no reason to carry it with me" 10 seconds later I need the gascan... also, it lit itself
- Story in overall makes no sense
- Ending felt rushed
During the first part, I almost cried when I saw how horrible the level design were. Luckily it was better the second half. Still, it's a huge minus that a huge part of the story is so horribly made.
Nothing made any sense at all and you really need to do a little bug fix patch. Although, I loved your creativity and the story is not like anything I've ever seen before. Because of that, it still, even though it was so annoying to restart and the first part almost made me cry by how terrible it were, it still deserves a 6/10.
6/10 - Decent
Mod Review on Dec 28th, 2013 - 2 people agree
- Huge creativity
- Well written story
- No real intro
- The objects you need could have been a bit harder to find
- Mapping can be improved
- Not really scary at all
- Glitch with the mushroom (if you throw something on it, the gland is not there)
Neutrals: (Does not affect the score)
- The "going back to the bedroom" thing is a nice idea and I understand it's an important part of the story. Still, it could be a bit annoying in lenght.
The mapping is not a "wow" factor and it offers a low challange. Although, the story is very well written and that is a huge plus from me (since few people focus on the story nowdays), I found very few bugs and I enjoyed playing it. A lot of things can be improved for future stories/patches, but it easily deserves a 8/10 anyway. Good job!
8/10 - Very good
Mod Review on Dec 25th, 2013 - 3 people agree
- Decent story
- Not a single clue given at the lever quest in the flooded area
- Rushed and boring ending
- Lack of details and effects
Seems like you were inspired by my stories a little bit. I saw both a scare from Cursed Souls (Maybe a wierd coincidence, but it seems like you copied it from there and did almost no changes to it) and a name on one of the chemicals from Dark case.
I agree, the story is mediocre. It's not bad, but it's not unique either. The level design is pretty basic and the story itself doesn't have any unexpected turns (it's obvious what's going to happen next).
You did pretty well with the scares though, I'll give you that one. And even if the story wasn't very surprising, it was still not like the other plain stories "u are trapped in a castle bla bla bla".
In short, it's an okay story with a lot of creativity put in to it. It's on a thin line to be nothing but average, but I also think it deserves a little bit more than that.
6/10 - Decent
Mod Review on Dec 24th, 2013 - 2 people agree
- Nice ideas I guess
- Catherine is a guy
- Same voice actor for every character, including Catherine
- Extremly short
- No challange
- Just like part one, horrible scares that isn't even scary (at least not more than once)
As much as I love the fact that you try to make something else rather than the same old "monsters kidnapped you, you must get out", this story is bad. Plain and simple.
The voice acting need improvements. And most importantly, don't use the same actor for every character...
The level design is average, but need way more details to be considered as good. The only quests in the story is basicly finding keys (I said you are creative and for the most parts you are, but seriously, you use the same "I need a sparekey to the bedroom" in both the houses). What I am trying to say is, there is no challange at all.
The scares are just lame and overused. I did personally not get scared even once, but I guess most people were... the first time. Then they got used to them just like I did. They simply don't work very well.
And dude come on... "Catherine" and I see a naked guy with a ***** speaking with a male voice. *Facepalm*.
The reason why I rate this one 3 and not 4 like the first part is because the first one actually had a bigger variation of quests (they were bad and simple as well, but at least you used more than keys) and because it seems like you spent a little bit longer on the mapping itself. Other than that, this one disapointed me just as much as part one.
You have huge potential. You just need to spend more time on your work. This part came out less than a month after the first part (and it shows).
3/10 - Bad