This member has provided no bio about themself...
Fantastic seeing this game come to life, and i'm with the Guest guy please take inspiration from Blade of Darkness especially the slow tactical combo based combat, and Elveon having the Severance BOD gore that would be the cherry on top of the cake.
Star Wars vibe on that video some of the scenes also seem to be heavily inspired by the movies. I'm not criticizing just stating a curiosity. :) BTW fantastic work on the game and video very professional.
"if it is not broken don't fix it" comes to my mind with this, they both look good, the top one looks like shingles, the bottom (original) one looks like roof plates, and i think that is what the original Stalker developers wanted for the look.
This is great indeed one of the most calm and beautiful menus that i've seen.
Ok i stand corrected, if Valve really gave you permission that is very nice of them.
This shows that moded Stalker can look fantastic today i don't know why some Stalker modders say they will live Xray for new engines because they look better! Some people just have that syndrome of "grass is always green in the other side".
Why are you using English on the game description on moddb and on the installation guide, but them give us English users a russian only game and a pdf in russian also? Like i said can't play the game and can't read the pdf that you gave above.
Fantastic the animator is very skilled.
Don't let that discourage you tho, enforce a restrictive licence on the model and anyone that tries to use it without your consent will have to pay for it or at least think twice before risking a lawsuit.
Some mods are games especially TC's (Total conversions) but this mod uses HL2 objects and NPC's so is not even a TC. A mod becames a stand alone game when it is a TC and it doesn't require the original game to be installed, for example The Dark Mod was a Doom 3 mod is now a stand Alone game.
"even the bushes and trees are mostly made out of flat 1D textures"
I think you meant 2D and that is how all game engine vegetation is made even Cryengine 4 vegetation is still made primarily of flat planes, even the famous speed tree software (used on many Unreal Engine games and Skyrim for example) uses flat planes for its trees small branches and bushes, is just better for performance that way, stalker just need more high rez textures and a slight increase on the trees trunk polygon count.
I know X-Ray 1.0 is old by today standards, but in no way X-Ray 1.6 is old, is a full dx11 capable engine with state of the art graphic effects, imo many X-Ray modders let themselves fall into a kind "grass is always green on the other side" state of mind, regarding other engines and fail to see the immense power they have in the later X-Ray engine versions. As someone that has plenty of experience in game engines, i realized by my own mistakes and others, that many people let go one engine for an other, thinking this new one is the answer for all their dreams, only to realize latter that all engines have pro and cons and aren't never a magic bullet.
About the physics engine, the one used in X-Ray is indeed old, based on ODE, lacks modern effects like soft body physics and cloth, like you said, but for rigid-body physics is good enough, for example HL2 used a very old version of Havok, it lacked this same features, but HL2 add a impressive amount of physics effects on its gameplay, it even used what is called pseudo sofbody physics (using ragdools to simulate cloth like objects), i'm pretty sure the same could be done with X-Ray ODE.
About your bullet points:
- Native DX12 support and all the benefits it brings
- Almost no AAA engine support dx12, for now, is W10 only and this OS is still very new and not fully optimized. Going with dx11 is not a bad bet, why, first because dx11 is supported on all windows OS's from Vista up, it is capable of running even on dx9 GPU's (without any dx11 only functionality tho) and with full dx11 support it is capable of impressive graphics (just look to the Metro games), many GPU's on the market fully support it (only high end Nvidia Gpu's support dx12 and some only a small subset of it, AMD has better dx12 support even on older cards) second dx11 will still be supported for many years to come, is easy to code compared to dx12.
- Physics system ripped out entirely and completely replaced
- Not a absolutely necessary thing imo
- Be true 64bit
- it would be good but again not a absolute necessity, if you make the exe large address aware.
- True multithreaded support
- I'm not sure but i think X-Ray 1.6 is multithread already, at lest for two cores, but i could be wrong.
- Support complex geometry (that means lots of polygons)
- X-Ray already supports large amounts of polygons, but being crazy on polygon count is imo the mark of a bad developer/modeler, objects should be optimized and only have the necessary amount of polygons to maintain the illusion, and with POM and dx11 tessellation is not like you need to worry about low polygon count.
- Support large open world map (no level loading)
- Not even Cryengine 4 support this feature and is not like stalker worlds were that small either, more times than not i used the fast travel option because walking or running all that open terrain was boring.
- Properly implement DX11 features not just have them tacked on
- Yes Stalker CP dx11 features were tacked on but i'm pretty sure that with time they could be refined.
Bring X-Ray 1.0 to "modern" standards is a big undertaking indeed but bring X-Ray 1.6 to "modern" standards is not that hard, why would it? It already supports a full dx11 render, you just need to change or code new HLSL 5.0 shaders and you are good to go.
This is all my opinion, i don't claim that i'm a X-Ray expert or even that i have ever modded Stalker, all my knowledge about this subject come from years of playing around with other game engines, since the old Max-FX engine used on the Maxpayne games from remedy to Unreal Engine 2, idtech 4, C4 engine, Cryengine and Unity.
Can't play it, don't understand Russian, i also don't find the Manual.pdf that you talk in the description. :(
Very nice updates but i'm not sure about that blue reflection on the head, if you are simulation radiosity them IMO the blue reflection should be less strong.
Xray is capable of much more than what you are showing there, if you wanted to make X-ray look bad you were certainly successful that pic is hideous, but to me Stalker CP on Dx11 is still fantastic looking and there's few games that can top that.
Xray 1.6 has used on Call of Pripyat is capable of - AA with HDR lighting, God Rays, POM, wet surfaces, soft water, physical smoke, Tessellation and Contact Hardening Shadows (this last two on dx11 only).
Saying X-Ray is old IMO is wrong but ok if you are using the 1.0 (shadow of chernobyl) version then yes, it lacks some cool stuff.
Ok now we are talking, if you can somehow include that research in the game in a way that we can say "ha i see" instead of only "women became extinct because of the suppression field" then imo it will be even better, you could for example make older NPC's talk how women were born less and less back then, older news papers talking about that and old posters saying we need more women, etc, etc, this will not only explain what happened to them but also make us more immersed in the story, but i'm sure you already though of this.
Ok found how to solve this, just make a shortcut to the games .exe and on the shortcut properties on the path after the caffeine.exe just put
like this "...\WindowsNoEditor\CaffeineGame.exe -fullscreen"
Btw are we a child or what? I'm asking because when walking the corridors scale seam normal but when you get near tables, couches and chairs everything looks huge compared to you!
how to run in fullscreen?
With that reply you certainly aren't giving me much confidence. ;p
Really!! 90%? It does not look like that to me, perhaps is the hard lines on the walls and river bed? and that Windows lowpoly that make it look like Brushs to me, but who cares, I'm glad you guys are working on this game and i'm certain that I will enjoy it. :-)
No problem :-)
No problem glad to help. :-)
I like fantasy stories like any other person but it needs to at least be plausible to me, if not I can't really be immersed on it. But the creator of this mod is free to do what he pleases so if he wants to get ride of women for whatever reason he certanly can and I will play it when it comes.
That last gen rendering to the PBR rendering imo is a little misleading, what makes Fallout 3 NV look like that, is the prevalent brown color pallet, it would be easy to replicate ALMOST exactly the PBR look, using of course a much richer color pallet, good normal maps and specular maps, PBR systems makes it easier to make realistic materials, but in no way it means it would be impossible using the older non PBR way.