3D Space RTS fan. Searching for life outside the homeworld :)
A little list of games I find great and interesting. To be enlarged. List does not show priority. Only games I've played and having some remarkable memories, and I'd find it still enjoyable to replay. Very IMHO.
Games can be bought at Steam, GoG.com or Desura. At least, some of them.
P.S.: Moddb text editor still suxx. Even in HTML mode. Can't it be wikia alike?..
Urban Terror (CS alike):
Xonotic (UT alike):
Cube (Serious Sam alike):
Tremulous (AvP alike):
AssaultCube (CS alike):
Alien Arena (Q2 alike):
Warsow (Q3 DeFrag alike):
OpenArena (Q3 alike):
Red Eclipse (Q3/UT alike):
Return to Castle Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory (BF1942 alike):
The Dark Mod (Thief alike - single player):
I was thinking of the Taiidani Project: well, because of the time absence can't get even to get existing ships from BloodFleet's mods to make some kind of "beta" version, but still I have this idea in my mind. Something like one of the things to do before I die )))
Main idea was to get some part of HW into HW2, balanced, looking natural and competitive to existing races. As the kushans had become hiigarians, and, actually, HW1 main races were actually the same, and we need some big fleet, then Taiidans were the only guys to choose.
Then they needed some feature, which was their research/building: Hiigarians build modules to get ships, Vaygr build modules and research to build ships, Taiidans will be researching only. Sounds okey.
Few days ago someone on FB had made beast-infected Kuun-Lan, then there was unannounced HW:Cataclysm HD (I still hope that it will happen, especially, as I believe, there were no big changes to original HW1 engine), then my colleague wanted to play some HW game... In short, I've remembered Cataclysm and it's multiplayer: actually, it was most original among 3 HW games, there even was a site with tactics described... So, I thought of Beast realisation, as different from others race - like Orkz or Eldar after SM/CSM races in W40K Dawn of War.
So, Beast was something like neuron net, it was using crew brains to operate ships and simulate a kind of reasonable behavior. But it's not able to create, make inventions etc. It can only use existing information. And salvage. So, actually Beast is like a pirate, similar to Turans. Or Kadeshi. Or _is_ Turan and Kadeshi if they are salvaged.
If we check HWC, Beast fleet consists of the ships taken from different races. So, actually, Beast should capture all these ones, to use them. But the beginning of the game, Beast should have some fleet, pirate one to begin with, to get their salvages. So, we need some unused one. And this would be Somtaaw one. This way we would "kill" two ducks with one shot: we will have Beast functionality and Somtaaw fleet. Somtaaw are good ones, but they don't have enough power to fight again H/V/T fleets, also they are part of Hiigara. So I believe, joining Somtaaw with Beast will be perfect solution.
Salvagers are big part of the Beast fleet )
Research is very straight: you build factory (analogue), get access to researches of ships (each research makes one ship) in price of it's original - in HWC you had to retire ship to get to production of it. When you salvage ship, you get research of it. When you capture carrier, you get access to the fighter/corvettes researches. Probably, nothing more the frigate can't be researched.
There is description on Beast ships that they are tougher but slower. I think, at first ships will be usual ones, but Beast will have upgrade on whole ship section that would increase class health and restoration rate, but decrease it speed (like Beast mass is feeding of energy from reactor). So user will have to think if he wants speed or toughness )
No beast signs (meat) will be onboard, so that we could use original models of the game w/o unnessecerely increasing mod's size.
P.S.: If cruise missile cannot be done in normal way, it could be made smaller and used as probe.
Or! There is model of bot, that was used for taiidani start mission in HW1, and as was decided that this is kushani guys who suffered, then this bot was used in Cataclysm opening scene. Probably, it could be used as probe, as well. Maybe, other type or something.
Or not. Beast is kinda human_brain_centric, so all these autobots are kinda out of date )
I believe that there hundred and thousands of kiith on Kharak, in type of mafia family or corporation - somebody gets uprised, somebody consumed. Like Liir, being part of Hraal in HW, become independent and in HW:C made Hraal part of itself. Or Nabaal that wished to consume Somtaaw.
But according to HW manuals there were most notable:
2. Siiddim (or Siid, or Siddim),
5. Nabaal (or Naabal, or Naabel)
6.Sjet (Super Jet),
11.Liir (LiirHra later),
14.Riif (there were admiral Riif-sa, that means, he's the head of Riif kiith)
Also there were 4 more surnames (unknown of it beeing Kiith): Doine, Sagald, Jaraci and Magann.
Telling of "this is alternate history" doesn't solve anything, as there should be starting point of it, and there must reason for alternate events.
Eastern part of map could've been result of Russia's being weak enough to divide. And this has happened in the Time of Troubles of 1612, in the Revolution of 1917, and in USSR falldown of 1991.
* If this have happened in 1612, then there were no Russia, as Poland was at the peak of it's strength that time. So, there would be the dream of modern polish nationalists - Great Polska from Gdansk to Tobolsk. There might be some more events in 400 years of this, maybe,Poland instead of Russia would have become the "horror" of all Europe (and Revolution of 1917 would have happened in Warsaw), maybe, not all the russian culture would be consumed, as Poland would be opened to european invasion (unlike Russia which is kinda protected by Poland)... Anyway, there would be completely different Russia, completely different Poland and as a result - different map. For example, most probably, northern part of Russia would become part of Scandinavian Empire (Dutch, Norway, Finland, Sweden and northern part of Livonia).
* If this would have in 1917... Well, civil war happening in Russia would have made a lot of thing shown here possible. There were finnish-russian war in 1920, as Finland were claiming Karelia is theirs, Poland has run over Belorus, Lithuania and Ukraine - also it have taken part of Czech just before WW2 while Munich pact of 1938. Also Soviet army had problems in Caucasus, where it had to use strength to calm down and disarm local radicals. So, if Red Army and White Army would weaken themselves, that noone would win, so they could not resist finnish invasion, caucasian rebellions and polish invasion, then it would lead to this situation, and even worth - Russia would have become smaller, and, probably, there were several "russian" republics - socialistic, capitalistic, monarchic etc. Also, in the end of Civil War (1921) Czech voluntary forces with stolen gold of admiral Kolchak, strong enough so that Soviet government had just let them go home, were returning home, so Poland would have quite much problems with them. Also, european countries, including USA, weren't happy about Polish enlargement - if it would have gone too far, there would be no supply for Polish army anymore. Also, particulary, Latvia would be smaller, if Poland would claim for Latgalia, or larger, if Poland would stop on the borders, and Russia would have no forces to resist latvian invasion (which resulted in occupying important railway center of Pytalovo, and which is now claimed back latvian nationalists).If this situation is gone to modern days, that means that there were no WW2, thus, Prussia still exists, and it is not Kaliningrad, but Konigsberg. Also, without bombing Japan with nuclear weapon what look would our world have?Also, talking of nationalistic movement - in the beginning of 20th century nationalistic movement was largely supported by interested countries: this way was broken Austrian-Hungary Empire and Russian Empire. Also Ottoman Empire has turned into Turkey...Also, if there were no WW2, then USA wouldn't have so much as it has now: no european gold to store, no dollar as a world currency, no exit of Great Depression with selling USA products for WW2 purposes, and post-war recreation, no carriers patrouling whole world, no Japan to train with nuclear bombs, no Vietnam, no Lybia, no Syria etc... No USA as we know it.
* If this would have happened in 1991... Well, I believe, that Russia, ruled by foreign advisors, had given everything she had. There were separatist movement in 1998, when there were money printed for Ural republic, also, Chechen war, supported by some countries, with arabian fighters teaching locals what's shariat, but that would mean russian division - well, 1917 scenario. Probably, Karelia, as finland claimed, would be parted also... But no big Russia anymore. But no big Poland either. Belorus and Ukraine are equal to Poland to be under its flag. Also strange that Romania has joined this Federation, as they very different from slavians. Then why Hungary didn't joined it also?..Also, strange that Cyprus is not divided into two parts: Greek and Turkey parts. Also, strange that there are no Abkhazia and South Osetia on a map. If we follow this logic, then it's strange that Kosovo isn't the part of Serbia...
So, main idea of this text is: when you're thinking of alternate history, you can't just paint the map as you like. For every event must be a reason, and reaction to it, like in physics laws.
Read it here:
Found some old post
If you get into HW1 datas, you will find out that there are big problems with them: authors didn't catch all their glitches. HWC&HW2, IMHO, just tried to make it systematic. In HW3 we will see how successful )
One of the greatest story holes of HW1 is 3rd mission movie scene, where storyteller tells of 4k years agreement, which was violated by exiles. At the same time there were 3k years old Guidestone...
- Answer, bitch, why did you destroyed our planet!
- What agreement?!!
- Many thousand year ago signed!
- How much?!!
- Three.. Four... I don't remember!..
- So is it three or four?!!
- Four, four, please don't... !
Object did not survive interrogation
Yeah, and the greatest question - if hyperspace tech was forbidden, then how it came out that exiles made the path of 2500 light years on conventional drives in less then (3000 - 1215+) years?
The answer is - creators didn't think of it. They were creating fairytale of evil tyrants and good exiles, based on jew history.
So, I'm pointing that it's kinda strange for some to search for some structured canon in HW1 if there were no real universe, just very touching story of people which like phoenix has died and reborn again. But universe has started from HWC & HW2 (btw, HW2 events starts exactly 100 years after HWC events, which is quite remarkable).
HW1, Mission 11, "
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die." (c)
It's very symbolical that this mission is named of the quote of "Bladerunner". Especially of the scenes happening there: Bentusi get killed.
And more symbolical is about person who speaks original phrase - it's an android, artificial human. And this is very interesting and fitting the line of Cataclysm, where we have found that the Bentusi is Unbound by the meaning of being one with their ship, and the line of HW2 where we have found that Bentusi are something like watchers of the Galactic races to prepare them for the treasures or damnation or both of Progenitors...
About that Kickstarter campaign of Homeworld Touch and HW3...
Well, I’ve got an impression that these guys want to byte a piece too big for them. Seriously, these guys came of nowhere telling that they’re fanboys willing to make HW3.
First, what are the chances they get the IP? Of course, Homeworld is not casual game, but it’s game known in the game industry.
Second, what is this team? Who are they? Do they have any projects else to show to compare with A-class game like HW? Only thing public seen is this HW Touch which itself is quite discussable thing - no video of gameplay with this thing, nothing.
Third, if they have no experience of creating such hilarious projects as Homeworld - with wonderful plot, brilliant direction, charming music, perfect ship design and involving gaming, then how are they going to make succesful ancestor to HW-HWC-HW2?
Forth, according to the paper, they have plans of Napoleon: side missions, playing with derelicts and starbases, colonizing planets... As I remember of HW/HWC/HW2 history, they all had problems with time and tech - HW had to have upgrades and few more missions; HWC had to have completely different enemy and be compatible with HW1; HW2 had to have much more things in plot and environment. And these guys are promising to bring everything fan-community wants. How long are they going to make this game? Another 10 years? With what budget?
Fifth, I really doubt that this team is capable of bringing in true the homeworld spirit. Homeworld is about single story - with large background - with little things that makes missions somewhat unlinear (like bentusi giving you tech according to what have you research so far, like beast carrier showing up or not depending of have you destroyed it or in previous mission, like your fleet saved in this mission is best present in next one). It’s not about side missions and Master of Orion - we already have Endless Space for this. Even more it’s not about colonizing planets - Haegemonia is in different direction. It’s not about resource gathering - it’s about battle, strategy, tactics, interesting story and everything else mentioned in p.3And little things about backer status - how the fuck were chosen these kiithids? Let me speak of HW geek - in what way the were divided? Well, these little things make me think that HW3 of their hands would be much more discussable then HW2.
Well, despite all that had been said here, I’d rather donate them, if they have set reasonable goals. Believable ones. Like “creating HW Touch and HW:Remastered”, but not HW3. Actually, it would be really nice to get good old Homeworld with improved interface, little bit cleaned up code, little bit better textures and models, with deep integration with Steam, GoG & Desura. Even if it would be at Unity engine, not old one.For this I’d definetely paid money.
And also I’d paid money just for clone of HW, like O.R.B., from these guys. That would have approved that they know what they are doing, not just big tasty promises. But now better candidate for my money is one guy who is already experimenting with HW.exe to make it work with win7 at modern resolutions.
Or completely different proposal: let’s make community HW? Let’s gather programmers to make some wizardy with some open-source engine like the same Unity, to create basic game logic to make it possible of playing multiplayer and skirmish, models and race we have enough (see HWU) and those who want to make single player - let them make it on their own (like HW@). What do you think of it? ))
There is a new wonderful game "Endless space" - the ancestor to "Master of Orion", "Imperium Galactica" etc.
It would be interesting to implement "Homeworld" races into this game. Of course, no 3D battles available, but still it's good chance to feel yourself as vaygr conqueror "Sajuuk-Khar" Makaan, taiidani emperor "Mad Clone" Riestiu, kushani hyperleader "Unbound" Karan Sjet or starving Beast.I don't know yet nothing of "Endless Space" modding, but I'd like to collect some ideas here.
First target will be to have races with HW ship models, but in other meanings being alike custom created races.It also would interesting if there were something like prescripted map of galaxy, with races put on their own places, different type of pirates in different parts of galaxy, traders. Also, as hyperspacing is huge part of HW, it would interesting to remake way of ship moving, with hyperspace inhibitors built for affecting hyperspace jump, not allowing to jump except through the armed outposts... But this, probably would too much to ask ))So, overall there are 10+ known races of Homeworld Universe plus various factions.
As ModDB bloggin suxx, read more here - Amddred.deviantart.com
It's great that such great game as Heroes is getting rennovated.
Of course, the case is not only about gameplay mechanics - HeroesV are modern enough and have very comparable gameplay to HeroesIII. It's also about nostalgy - that's why guys still playing old games, making patches and even remakes. The same I'm looking forward to see VCMI rise and shining.
And not only waste possibilities of gameplay bring a lot of game popularity, not only some special spirit and design, but also large modding possibilities, allowing to enchance original game this or that way:
sometimes it's adding new objects, sometimes it's changing game rules directly.
I've tried to read all the threads here at forum: to get the new ideas and to get reasonable arguments if there are any against them. So, here I'll try to get all my thoughts together and write down thing that good to be implemented in VCMI and why.
Warning: I'm not a big programmer, so everything read further is a product of my imagination, some modding experience of Homeworld2 and some other stuff and theoretical discussion of spherical horse in vacuum. You're the guys who made to 0.9, so you decide.
Read more here: Amddred.deviantart.com
P.S.: ModDB blogging really suxx.
No blogs were found matching the criteria specified. We suggest you try the blog list with no filter applied, to browse all available.Join now to share your own content, and encourage our community to get involved and engaged.