Few days ago someone on FB had made beast-infected Kuun-Lan, then there was unannounced HW:Cataclysm HD (I still hope that it will happen, especially, as I believe, there were no big changes to original HW1 engine), then my colleague wanted to play some HW game... In short, I've remembered Cataclysm and it's multiplayer: actually, it was most original among 3 HW games, there even was a site with tactics described... So, I thought of Beast realisation, as different from others race - like Orkz or Eldar after SM/CSM races in W40K Dawn of War.
So, Beast was something like neuron net, it was using crew brains to operate ships and simulate a kind of reasonable behavior. But it's not able to create, make inventions etc. It can only use existing information. And salvage. So, actually Beast is like a pirate, similar to Turans. Or Kadeshi. Or _is_ Turan and Kadeshi if they are salvaged.
If we check HWC, Beast fleet consists of the ships taken from different races. So, actually, Beast should capture all these ones, to use them. But the beginning of the game, Beast should have some fleet, pirate one to begin with, to get their salvages. So, we need some unused one. And this would be Somtaaw one. This way we would "kill" two ducks with one shot: we will have Beast functionality and Somtaaw fleet. Somtaaw are good ones, but they don't have enough power to fight again H/V/T fleets, also they are part of Hiigara. So I believe, joining Somtaaw with Beast will be perfect solution.
- Recon - scout and anti-stealth (available from the very beginning);
- Acolyte - main fighter;
- Mimic - stealth-spy;
- Cruiser missile - actually, don't know how to make it - in PTV it was done, but not sure if it's done w/o enabling kamikaze option, which cruches single player campaign );
- Leech - salvage machine;
- Sentinel - guardian;
- Heavy Tug - salvage frigate (available from the very beginning);
- MBF - anticapital frigate or, as there will be Hive as anticapital, it can be pulsar frigate;
- Hive Fr. - originally, antifighter, this frigate will be anticapital now: first, because of missing drone logic in HW2, second, because of swarmers are too small to have brains. Now hive frigate will deploy mines. With frontal double plasma it would make it interesting anticapital ship. Or... It can salvage in vaygr frigate way, but I like 1st option more, as there is already salvage frigate ));
- Destroyer - semidestroyer;
- Worker - resource collector and salvager (available from the very beginning);
- Processor - resource controller (available from the very beginning);
Salvagers are big part of the Beast fleet )
Research is very straight: you build factory (analogue), get access to researches of ships (each research makes one ship) in price of it's original - in HWC you had to retire ship to get to production of it. When you salvage ship, you get research of it. When you capture carrier, you get access to the fighter/corvettes researches. Probably, nothing more the frigate can't be researched.
There is description on Beast ships that they are tougher but slower. I think, at first ships will be usual ones, but Beast will have upgrade on whole ship section that would increase class health and restoration rate, but decrease it speed (like Beast mass is feeding of energy from reactor). So user will have to think if he wants speed or toughness )
No beast signs (meat) will be onboard, so that we could use original models of the game w/o unnessecerely increasing mod's size.
P.S.: If cruise missile cannot be done in normal way, it could be made smaller and used as probe.
Or! There is model of bot, that was used for taiidani start mission in HW1, and as was decided that this is kushani guys who suffered, then this bot was used in Cataclysm opening scene. Probably, it could be used as probe, as well. Maybe, other type or something.
Or not. Beast is kinda human_brain_centric, so all these autobots are kinda out of date )