This job was posted over 30 days ago. This means the position is now most likely filled & no longer available.
Location: Preferably UK - Looking for: Programmers
Posted by Antiquity Games on
I'm looking for a programmer who is preferably based in GMT+0, the closer to me (Staffordshire, England) the better in case we decide to meet up as I prefer to know the people I work with, however failing this, I am happy with a highly skilled programmer who will be in contact with me often on this project (Actively on Skype, at the very least).
The programmer should be capable of putting together an engine from scratch that is capable of hosting servers for the player to play on, which can connect to a master server for syncing settings and authorising against hacking/pirating. Extra points to a programmer who is familiar with web programming, for website+forum interfacing with the game.
Lastly, the programmer should be familiar to being able to talk! As silly as this seems, there have been people who I have interviewed before now who have the conversation skills of a horse.
Furthermore, the programmer will need to be able to program (What I believe may be the most difficult tasks);
- NPC AI to follow schedules, reproduce and pathfind to "Points of Interest".
- World Generation, reading from provided World Map images.
- Behavioural programming sets for animal behaviour.
- The Ancients is a 2D MMORPG based on Earth in 200BCE. The Earth is split into continents, continents into countries and countries into areas. The world is generated, extrapolated from several HD map files (Culture, Biome, Terrain, etc).
- Each area is a server and each area can have unlimited amounts of servers. The player can then choose, filter and auto-connect to these areas, allowing the player to effectively customize his world, but also to change it at any time.
- The player is able to craft, terraform and build to his heart's content, forming villages and businesses.
- The world is effectively empty, human-wise, till the player creates a place that will attract migrants. Migrants are the Actors (NPCs) of the world, who age, gain skills, form relationships and have children.
- Houses are dynamically designed, alike to The Sims, allowing for total customization.
- Combat is Turn Based Tactical, alike to Final Fantasy Tactics, Vandal Hearts, etc., which freezes participants in the turn-based combat, whilst others may pass by, watch or offer to help.
- The player is able to lock out other people from his locally hosted servers, allowing him to effectively play single player, or just with friends, if he so wishes - or likewise, to allow strangers to wander in and experience his world.
- The game will possibly offer Permadeath.
- This game will be sold and monetised upon, sold as a product and expansions sold to allow access to new parts of the world (bringing with it new cultures, locations, and so forth).
These are just a few of the key gaming points, but I can ensure you there is much more. So far I have a Game Development Document and several graphics produced, visible in this thread I have been using;
My thanks for your interest.
Send a cover letter telling me about how available you will be, previous projects if applicable, experience with what language you would use and why you would use it to email@example.com. If successful, you will be shortlisted for interviewing via Skype text-chat.