So, what's this all about? Maybe it's the best to start from the beginning.
Maverick, host of maverickservers.com had the idea to support NoGhost, an instagib mod for Q3A, by launching a new level design competition, which started on 1st of November and ended on 12th of December 2009. The feedback and participation was so satisfying, that only half a year later the next part of this competition series started. Meanwhile three competitions have been held. The last one ended on August 13th 2011.
By now also three final mappacks have been released and the outcome is just astonishing.
Eraser, the creator of the single player mod "EntityPlus" (http://www.moddb.com/mods/entityplus/downloads/entityplus-113), once stated:
"[...] it (Q3A) does have the most talented and versatile creative community of all games. It's amazing to see what people can squeeze out of this 12 year old game."
Watch the maptrailer from this competition series and allow yourself to be convinced. You can find it under the videos tab of this group. Meanwhile a lot of maps have been ported to QuakeLive, like sock's "Focal Point".
Nice side effect for the mappers is, that Maverick could get some sponsors onboard. The list includes names like AMD/ATi, Sapphire, Autodesk, Wacom, MassacreServers, Kot-in-Action, cg textures, Ready Up Radio and many more.
Of course there are several rules you have to follow:
- Registration is required on the forums and is open until June 23rd
- The map should hold at least 8 players (suitable for 8 player FFA or 4v4 TDM/CTF) or 2 players for a 1v1 map
- All maps are judged on the same scale, so a smaller map will be held to same to the same quality and complexity standards as larger maps
- Map must contain each of the unmodified sponsor images on the map walls; logos will be downloadable shortly after the competition starts
- Map must be previously unreleased and a new design started at the beginning of this competition; please no map remakes or edits
- Custom textures are allowed; participants need to make sure all textures are legal to use in this competition
- Each competitior/competition team is allowed to only submit one map and the .map file should be released with the final .pk3 of the map when submitted to the judges for the final judging (the .map file will *not* be distributed except to judges)
- All participants are required to post weekly Radiant screenshots to the competition forums showing progress from start to finish
- Once a map is created play testing and posting screenshots is allowed and encouraged
So if you are still interested in Q3A mapping (and who isn't :D), there is no way around this competition. Registration deadline has been laid on 23rd of June!