It's here, a Doom 3 Speed Mapping Contest! It could be the first one I know of. Either way, we've got prizes for the winner: a copy of Steel Storm: Burning Retribution and Iron Grip: Warlord! Since it's a contest for an id game it seemed appropriate to give the winner some id-tech games.
Here's the skinny on the contest: you sign up ahead of time with me, The Happy Friar, before the 11th. E-mail me at “the_happy_friar at yahoo dot com”. Be sure to have the subject of your e-mail be “Doom 3 Mapping Contest”, that way if it ends up in my spam filter I know it's not spam. The contest will start on October 12th @ 00:00 EDT and will end one week later on October 18th at 23:59 EDT. Then a “highly skilled” set of judges will rate the maps on your technical skills and gameplay. The map is SP only. Make sure they're new maps and not a redo of something you've done before! The winner gets Steam keys of the aforementioned games!
Oh, one more thing: to make sure nobody gets a jump start, I'll e-mail the people who registered the theme of the map when the contest starts! Could be you have to make a fluffy bunny map, or one that looks like the internet, who knows!
Any questions feel free to e-mail or PM me. Comment on the Doom 3 World thread or here.
Just want to watch a cool-looking promo? Here ya go!
So want the rules in a nice, bullet point, list now?
- 1 week to make map.
- Must register ahead of time, cuttoff time on the 10th @ 23:59 EDT.
- SP only.
- 1000x1000 size (-512, -512, -512 to 512, 512, 512).
- Scripting allowed.
- Must run on stock Doom 3 but custom assets allowed and MUST be included (skies, sounds, etc).
- Two screenshots with final submission.
- Starts October 12th @ 00:00, ends Oct 18th @ 23:59, EDT
- e-mail me the map + a description (the_happy_friar at yahoo dot com) Subject: “Doom 3 Mapping Contest”, in body include (separate lines) contestant name, e-mail address, map name.
- Map naming convention: “d3sm_mapname.map, all custom content under “d3sm_mapname” folder, “d3sm_mapname.txt = readme, all zipped together under name “d3sm_mapname.zip”, “d3sm_mapname_1.jpg & 2.jpg for screenshots. ZIP ONLY
- NEW maps only!
- As many maps as you want to submit
- Super Secret Theme!