Zombie Grinder is the debut game of TwinDrills, an indie game development duo made up of Tim 'Infini' Leonard and Jordan 'Jordizzle' Chewning. It's a multi-platform (windows, mac, Linux!) (also Free!) cooperative multiplayer arcade game, reminiscent in style and gameplay of retro games like 'Zombies Ate My Neighbors' and 'Super Smash TV!', but with the added benefit of some newer game mechanics - achievements, ranking, player-customization, rpg style stats and so forth. The game sports a variety of different game modes, from co-operative 'campaign' style levels, to wave maps and even the classic 'pvp' style game modes - deathmatch, capture the 'bag' and so forth. All of these mods are bristling with a variety of weapons and items, all lovingly displayed in Jordan's classic quirky pixel-art style.

Forum Thread
Poll: What game mode would you want this map to be? (9 votes)
Map 4 - Community Request! (Games : Zombie Grinder : Forum : Modding / Map Design : Map 4 - Community Request!) Locked
Thread Options
Feb 6 2013 Anchor

Hey guys~!

I'm busy building my third map - but I admit, after this build, I don't have too many major ideas on my back-burner. I've got a few minor ideas, but I've decided to let the community give me any ideas they want to be see done so that I can try and build it.

I'm going to start this map after I finish map 3, so at the moment, this thread is mainly to grab ideas and attention.

Mind you, there are few limitations:

A) I'm not going to do what Infini did with live-streaming - we all know that I don't seem to ever have consistent hours of being online - and not to mention, my labtop doesn't have that kind of resources to live-stream. Instead, I will probably update this tread with pictures and map files to allow the community to see how the build is progressing.

B) Any kind of element that you want on this map must be from some other map. So this means the following:
- All tiles must be from the game itself. Mind you, there is a Background function in SDK, which I have not attempted to use yet (this means if you have some sort of background you want me to build from, I can most certainly try). But please don't ask me to break copyright, even though for unknown reasons, the entire tileset from some SNES game is included in the SDK . Don't ask me.
- Anything that happens must have appeared from some other map. Please understand that I only know how to read the scripts/codes that have been provided, and not create any of it myself. This means that I can't do swimming that has been planned for Infini's second crowd map simply because no other map has it.
* Exception to the above point - I am NOT doing a CTB map (from scratch). I've read the script to CTB, and it's crazy. There is no way I would be able to do a CTB map from scratch; the only way I can do it is to manipulate the existing CTB map. So if you really want me to make a CTB map, please understand that it will be very similar to ctb_heist.
* Do not ask me to make another campaign map. Just... don't. Just trying to read C1_S1 script makes me dizzy. So don't ask.

C) The more details you can provide for me, the better things will be for me, and the more likely I will concentrate on it. So include stuff like:
- What game mode you want.
- How many players you want.
- How big you want it (in comparison, wave_tiny is 35x35, my dm_graveyard is effectively 50x50)
- What powerups you want in it (and where they should be)
- A pre-made map drawing would help tons, but at least give me ideas of how the map should look like

D) Please understand that I'm relatively new with mapping, so it may take me time to map things to your request. I also try to ensure that maps I build are balanced and fair - so while you guys may want me to build exp/money/gem farms, I have no intention of doing so and will set things up to ensure that there is a fair balance to players and zombies.

Anyways - I've opened these doors, hopefully I wont regret that.... or else I might end up like this person -> _|""|.........o

Concept from Nikki (http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=29h0z7&s=6)

Edited by: sudzzuds

Feb 9 2013 Anchor

If there's anything you, (or anyone else) wan't to add or change, please feel free to :)

Feb 10 2013 Anchor

Actually Nikki, it's quite a reasonable request - Infini recently included a 4 player Team Deathmatch script into the game (this was because of an off-request I made out of curiosity), and this would be a nice way to experiment to see if that actually works. This also means I can read a little into the script and manipulate constants if people feel that 50 kills is too high a number (for example) - I'll actually need to take a look into it.

Everyone else, feel free to request!

Another request from Nikki. This one is gonna be hard.

K, Nikki, I've made a floor plan for tdm_primus. Take a look see:
Full image: Postimage.org

Postimage.org

Edited by: sudzzuds

--

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.