Zombie Grinder is the debut game of TwinDrills, an indie game development duo made up of Tim 'Infini' Leonard and Jordan 'Jordizzle' Chewning. It's a multi-platform (windows, mac, Linux!) (also Free!) cooperative multiplayer arcade game, reminiscent in style and gameplay of retro games like 'Zombies Ate My Neighbors' and 'Super Smash TV!', but with the added benefit of some newer game mechanics - achievements, ranking, player-customization, rpg style stats and so forth. The game sports a variety of different game modes, from co-operative 'campaign' style levels, to wave maps and even the classic 'pvp' style game modes - deathmatch, capture the 'bag' and so forth. All of these mods are bristling with a variety of weapons and items, all lovingly displayed in Jordan's classic quirky pixel-art style.

Forum Thread
by member
  Posts  
General Suggestions Thread (Games : Zombie Grinder : Forum : Suggestions : General Suggestions Thread) Locked
Thread Options 1 2 3 4
Mar 3 2012, 7:41pm Anchor

A simple idea for extra achievements
Get X kills with weapon Y

This way people will try all the weapons and maybe discover that they a weapon they thought to be terrible or not fun to use to be very good or giving some fun variety. Nice achievements like the penetrator, 10 mines + zombie or the red boom goes well hand in hand with these since they also encourage using different weapons, but on a different way and thus more of those should be added as well.

Unlocking items
When there are more weapons this could also be used to unlock items. Only the worst weapon of each weapon type could be buyable in the shop. After obtaining the X kills achievement for the normal shotgun a better shotgun could be unlocked then in the shop. Buying 'the best weapon' is no longer a matter of playing 1-2 games with some good people at a map that is good for money farming, but they would have to play with all weapons.

Note:
This does not mean that someone has to buy all weapons to be able to 'buy ' the best weapon.' In the cliff wave map one can get the achievements for the uzi, shotgun, magnum and slime gun without having to buy those weapons.

Mar 4 2012, 5:18pm Anchor
Neo160 wrote:
 Name: Balaclava ( alternative name: Ima Ninja :D )

Stats: +80% health, 20% speed
 
cost: 40,000

reference: http://www.deadcaterpillar.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/balaclava_hat.jpg

I suggested 80% health for the balaclava because its competing with the ever popular antlers, which already give 50% health, and a 50% damage boost. to even things out though, you could alternatively give the balaclava a 50% health boost, with 50% speed.


I was bored so I gave a shot at it xD User Posted Image Kinda hard to see though

Mar 5 2012, 1:57am Anchor
Domodestruction wrote:
I was bored so I gave a shot at it xD User Posted Image Kinda hard to see though

i like it :D what program did you use?

Mar 5 2012, 7:10pm Anchor
uthere1 wrote:
Domodestruction wrote:
I was bored so I gave a shot at it xD User Posted Image Kinda hard to see though

i like it :D what program did you use?


Thanks :D! I used photoshop

Edited by: Domo01

Mar 6 2012, 12:19pm Anchor

Please, make your own server creation. I cant explain it, but the main thing that i have NAT router. I cant create servers. Can you do something with it? I mean, in some other games there are a system, which allows to create server\lobby even with NAT router. Can you add something like that? 

Also, if server running a custom map, make it allow other players to download that custom map.

UPD: There is a bug with zombie's damage. When he begining damage animation and dying, i still get the damage from his punch, but the zombie is already dead. 

Sorry, my english is pretty bad :S

Edited by: narottam

Mar 6 2012, 1:28pm Anchor

Server creation
Is it not possible to point forward with a NAT router?

Custom maps

When someone is running a custom map and you join the server it will ask you or you want to download the mod, I can't see the difference either I select yes or no, but you must hit the space bar since the yes is already selected. When the mod is downloaded it will restart the game and then you have the map at your pc as well, so you can play it any time you want.
If you can't join the game with the custom map the only way to get the map is by downloading it manually. You should check the map creation thread for links to them in case the maker published it. An other possibility is that you ask that person or he can send it you.

Zombie bug
Maybe the zombies are still grabbing or biting your legs while dying.

Edit:
Guide for point forwarding:
Terrariaonline.com

Edited by: Nuxohiz

Infinitus
Infinitus Developer
Mar 6 2012, 2:25pm Anchor
narottam wrote:Please, make your own server creation. I cant explain it, but the main thing that i have NAT router. I cant create servers. Can you do something with it? I mean, in some other games there are a system, which allows to create server\lobby even with NAT router. Can you add something like that? 

Also, if server running a custom map, make it allow other players to download that custom map.

UPD: There is a bug with zombie's damage. When he begining damage animation and dying, i still get the damage from his punch, but the zombie is already dead. 

Sorry, my english is pretty bad :S


We perform UPNP and NAT punchtrough to bypass NAT-addressing, these are the same techniques that pretty much every other game around uses.
 
The reason people have more trouble in this game is because other games tend to mitigate it using a lobby system; you host a lobby, and when the game is to start the software chooses the user with an Open-NAT and gets them to host. As we have no concept of a "lobby" we can't do that directly, and we have to hope the NAT traversal methods we use are enough. If these methods do not help you, then either you need to port-forward or you shouldn't be hosting games!

I may implement a lobby system somewhere down the line, it's something I really wanted to avoid as I tend to think it takes you out of the action too much (hence the concept of a HUB world), however as people don't appear to have the knowledge to host-servers correctly it may be necessary.

Edited by: Infinitus

--

Mar 7 2012, 12:37pm Anchor
Infinitus wrote:

We perform UPNP and NAT punchtrough to bypass NAT-addressing, these are the same techniques that pretty much every other game around uses.
 
The reason people have more trouble in this game is because other games tend to mitigate it using a lobby system; you host a lobby, and when the game is to start the software chooses the user with an Open-NAT and gets them to host. As we have no concept of a "lobby" we can't do that directly, and we have to hope the NAT traversal methods we use are enough. If these methods do not help you, then either you need to port-forward or you shouldn't be hosting games!

I may implement a lobby system somewhere down the line, it's something I really wanted to avoid as I tend to think it takes you out of the action too much (hence the concept of a HUB world), however as people don't appear to have the knowledge to host-servers correctly it may be necessary.


I am completely against the concept of a game lobby for the exact reason you mention above. Game lobbies make starting games laborous, difficult and are very often considered negatives to a games rating by critics when they increase the time it takes to start playing. The fact of the matter is, your nat hole punching technique is extremely efective, and only fails to work when people have old routers that dont support nat. It would be a waste to pour progaming time and resources into developing a lobby system. Lobby systems are effective and consistent, but they only work great when your supporting a very large commuinty that can fill lobbies even at sub peak hours, and at the moment (although this may change in the future with the possibillity of steam) sub peak hours support at best, around just 5 or so players for the game.

It would be far more efficient and effective to educate players, rather than baby sit them with lobbies. This can easily be done by tutorial in the settings menu (it could be called "how to host servers") and referenced when people have trouble joining servers, to new players, and also be mentioned right under a players nat status. That way, only a very small minority could completely ignore the guide, and most people would know how to host, and or if they shouldn't host at all.

You could even add a guide to port forwarding in there, or give a link to port forwarding.com at least, so you don't ever have to repeat yourself again XD.

Infinitus
Infinitus Developer
Mar 7 2012, 2:31pm Anchor

Me and Jordan have sort of accidently come up with a concept that may work a fuck load better.

We're currently working out if its technically feasible or not, if it is it should be dead cool :3

--

Mar 7 2012, 2:43pm Anchor

If that cool idea don't work, you could always implement quick join :)

Edit: apparantly, if you reply to the thread, and your also the latest poster, the system just updates that latest post, can this be fixed, its annoying to come back a day later with fresh ideas, and my idea doesn't even bump the thread.

Edited by: Neo160

Mar 15 2012, 10:36am Anchor

I was thinking, what if there was a bonus for getting a stat to 100?
it might encorage people to put points into less used stats
examples:
Ammo Capacity to 100: Slow ammo regen for equiped gun
Speed to 100: No speed penality for weapons
Health to 100: Health regen
Reload Speed to 100: Guns dont need realoading
Damage to 100: Zombies deal the same damage to themselves when they punch you
Rate of Fire to 100: All bullets bounce (except explosives) (and you cant die by your own explosions?)

at the moment you can only get 2 stats to 100, the other will be 97 so I also think you should rase the lvl cap to 100


Also there are a lack of pony related items in this game so I bring you:
Rainbow Wig:

20% cooler (fake stat)
25% speed

Edited by: Fishfreeek

Mar 15 2012, 1:25pm Anchor

I like the idea of extra perks once you max stats out!

Mar 15 2012, 3:01pm Anchor
Fishfreeek wrote:I was thinking, what if there was a bonus for getting a stat to 100?
it might encorage people to put points into less used stats
examples:
Ammo Capacity to 100: Slow ammo regen for equiped gun
Speed to 100: No speed penality for weapons
Health to 100: Health regen
Reload Speed to 100: Guns dont need realoading
Damage to 100: Zombies deal the same damage to themselves when they punch you
Rate of Fire to 100: All bullets bounce (except explosives) (and you cant die by your own explosions?)

at the moment you can only get 2 stats to 100, the other will be 97 so I also think you should rase the lvl cap to 100


Also there are a lack of pony related items in this game so I bring you:
Rainbow Wig:

20% cooler (fake stat)
25% speed


Pony related items would no doubt cause a lot controversy so I'd stay away from it. Looks awesome though

Mar 15 2012, 4:37pm Anchor

aww come on, there is already an anime related hat, I dont see why people would dislike a pony hat, it's not like it's hurting anyone. If you dont like ponies you can just not buy it. There is already a hat with 25% speed as well so you're not forced to buy it cause of the stats either.
and thanks ^^ though Im sure Jordan would be able to make a better one

Edited by: Fishfreeek

Mar 16 2012, 1:33am Anchor

No pony hats, or items. Apologies.

Mar 16 2012, 4:02am Anchor
Fishfreeek wrote:
Also there are a lack of pony related items in this game so I bring you:
Rainbow Wig:

20% friendship (magical stat)
25% speed

Sorry had to fix it, it just didn't look right.

Mar 16 2012, 8:40am Anchor
Jordizzle wrote:No pony hats, or items. Apologies.

aww why not *puppy dog eyes*

uthere1 wrote:Sorry had to fix it, it just didn't look right.

omg so much better, awesome XD

Mar 16 2012, 4:04pm Anchor
Fishfreeek wrote:
aww why not *puppy dog eyes*

I've never seen the show, and to be frank, the fan base (in majority) makes me wanna throw up. They ruined 3 things I hold dear. TF2, Youtube, and Tumblr. Not gonna pander to them in a game I do art for.

Mar 17 2012, 6:56am Anchor

ok, I dont see why ponies would ruin anything but everyone to their own opinion i guess. Im sorry your experience with the fan base has been a negative one and I wont ask you about pony stuff for this game again :(

On another note, instead of replacing your weapon when you pick a new one of that type up why not have both? You could just press its number more than once to scroll through them.
Or add a button you can hold down to not pick weapons up!

Edited by: Fishfreeek

Mar 31 2012, 5:23pm Anchor

Fact: Ponies haven't been good for anything except dog food for over 100 years.

Apr 7 2012, 8:54am Anchor

New suggestion: There should be a stats screen that tells you all the things you've accomplished in the game so far. e.g zombies killed, boxes smashed, bullets shot, accuracy, stuff like that.

also is there a way to bump a thread if you were the last poster? if you try to make a new post it just edits it into your last post

Edited by: Fishfreeek

Infinitus
Infinitus Developer
Apr 7 2012, 9:34am Anchor

We have something similar in the hub world at the moment.

And no there is no way as far as I know :S

--

Apr 7 2012, 8:46pm Anchor

I don't see a reason to need to bump threads when we get about 1 post per week, and Tim and I check basically daily :P

Apr 8 2012, 7:42am Anchor

yeah but i keep edinting new things into my bug post and it doesnt get bumped so Im not sure if you see them

Apr 8 2012, 6:41pm Anchor

Well, regardless it's indieDB's forum software that's doing it :( Worst case, you're welcome to make another post, but I'm sure Tim reads all the bug reports :P

Reply to Thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.