Well, it's been a few months, so I figured this deserved an update. While still subject to (probably major) tweaks, the engine has been vastly improved.
- The graphics engine has been optimized (over the mess it was before), and can now output decent framerates while looking considerably better.
- The AI has been overhauled, and player level AI has been added - nothing spectacular, but it coordinates its units fairly well and knows when to cut and run.
- The in-game interface has been streamlined and is no longer the cluttered mess of keyboard controls it used to be - essentially it's now just LMB for orders and RMB for camera control.
- AND: menu system, music, improved map generator et cetera.
However, there's currently only four game modes/map types selectable, with no team selection. I'm planning a patch that should be released in a month or so, which will enable these, but until then gameplay is limited. Sorry. Stay tuned!
NUCLEAR WAR IS BORING
Planning for the far future, it's occurred to me there's only a limited amount of time I can spend procrastinating on the RTS mode. I've got ideas for the RPG mode, but no firm story. Here's where YOU come in: I need suggestions for post-apocalyptic scenarios that would more or less fit the premise of the game. In other words:
- There must be the possibility of small communities of human survivors
- There must be visible evidence of past civilisation (buildings, mostly)
- Ideally there would be the potential for wandering monsters