The war continues. The alien terror spreads into a whole new dimension. Seeking to take advantage of a weakened Earth, X-Com's deep-space foes unexpectedly change strategy and launch a powerful second front against planet Earth. In the dark depths of the vast oceans, long-sleeping forces are awakened by reanimation signals sent out across the galactic silence by their interstellar brothers and sisters. Slowly but surely, an army of hibernating alien sea creatures awakens. Your combat now extends to the strange, new worlds of the deep, where the superior alien technologies threaten the very survival of this planet - your planet - Earth.
An old classic which took a lot of my time along with the prequel. Despite many people whine about losing the X-COM atmosphere in some ways and frank trash in concept (saying that it is a total conversion, not a sequel its own), various pluses can be numbered and the game still can be played just fine. Personally, when I got used too much to X-Com 1, I installed TFTD, and vice versa, and felt perfectly fine about it.
Technically, it is really more a mod/total conversion than a game sequel all its own. However, there are numerous new features which improve the game, and the plot is practically stable and unquestionable.
- Raised difficulty
- New entourage which keeps player's interest fresh
- New alien ships
- More complex battle maps
- More complex research tree (however, sometimes a bit illogical)
- New encounter types which require attention all their own
- Cool feature with underwater-only and ground working weapons which keeps the gameplay more dynamic.
- Numerous bugs and flaws, with some of them able to be abused to make your life easier.
- Considerably more bugs than in X-COM 1, despite almost everything concerning technical reasons is identical
- Practically no new weapons, only old ones just with replaced graphix and names
- The same with aliens
- Sometimes illogical research tree
So, if you feel tired from fighting Sectoids or Snakemen with Heavy Plasma, but you would like to try just the same game, you obviously should install this.