Things moved along just fine initially, but as you probably noticed, it got really quiet the last couple of months and progress on the game was slow. But we won't go into detail about the reasons for that, we would rather like to talk about the headway we're making again. The WoP members are back at work and there has been lots of activity during the last weeks.
We resolved to get a new version done 'till December, around Christmas would be a nice release date. We are heading for beta tests in November. Please don't throw any stones as us, but the next version to be released will be 1.5 and not 2.0. To make progress we had to cut a big feature ... the the single player! We already had started working on it and there already is a completely new map, two new player models and a lot more, but our plans kept growing and the whole thing got too complex. Because of the single player the whole project could take another year of development and that ist just too long for us. So finally we decided to focus on more important stuff. After the release of 1.5 we will have a look at it again.
So now, let's get to the juicy parts and talk about what the new version will look like in detail, since we don't want to keep you guessing any longer. Here is a small incomplete list of the features of WoP 1.5:
- All textures (that's more then 2000) have been revised until now. Regrettably for custom mappers that might mean that you have to adjust some of your maps for the new version.
- Nearly all skins and many map-objects have been jazzed up
- There are new menu graphics
- All old maps have been overhauled
- The levelshots got a new design and they show a short explanation of the game mode while loading
- There are in-game help-screens to explain important game features
- Padman get a brand new model and five alternative heads for his alternative skins. There are five completely new player models.
- One new game mode: CTL (Capture the Lolly) ... our version of Capture the Flag
- Instagib integrated, to be played with the new "iNJECTOR" weapon.
- At least one new SyC map, which will probably be PadShop
- Eight CTL maps
- Two new powerups for CTL
- LPS gets only selected maps enabled now, which are preferably compact, some maps even have been adjusted for that (for example PadGarden Night)
- BB is getting wallhack symbols for better coordination of the teams.
- There will be glowing team skin feature
- The weapon balance will be adjusted
and much more ...
Hopefully you'll see that we really weren't idle, just slow. The details might change still. It's possible that there'll be more content especially concerning the maps.