Wolfram is a modern remake of Wolfenstein 3D, game created by id Software in 1992. It features modern graphics including per-pixel lighting and shadows, ragdoll physics, real 3D environment, gameplay enchancements, achievement system and many other original innovations. Plunge into a total flashback!
Wolfram essentially is a graphical update to the original Wolfenstein 3D created by id software. Splendidly, the game stays extraordinarily close to the original material; the updated graphics and animations enhance rather than hinder the experience.It is a pleasure to re-live nostalgic moments through HD glasses.
Although it is neither a mod nor a remake, this 'update' to Wolfenstein 3D is still fun to play and fun to look at.
Much thanks to the creator of Wolfram.
uploaded my video here Youtube.com
great job. I understand you might not be making the rest of the game, due to time/giant job but really awesome work on the engine you have made/built on.
I know this would have taken a very long time. and congrats for getting to a point to release. thats what I am so Impressed on.
love the feel you picked and great detail you did. you and your team should be proud.
This is a great remake, the graphics, gameplay, almost everything has been remade. the only thing that made me give this a 9/10 was the music, it just didnt fit. i mean, 8-bit (or 16-bit? idk) music for a 3D game? come on, It should atleast be an orchestral soundtrack you could find on like, youtube or something. anyway, great remake, great game. espicially two acheivments that i like very, very, much.
The game feels really good as in keeping the old Wolf3D atmosphere, so the movement (really love the speeding up system), although the aiming needs to get used to, but that's matter of minutes.
This is actually not a real minus, rather a small wish - the game is just too short. I'd like to see it getting new episodes or simply being a bit longer as it's now.
Couldn't see any other downsides for this project - it's just brilliant!
Very good work!
I'll start by prefacing that recently I have been on a kick playing the original Wolf3d in DosBox. I hadn't played Wolf3d since it originally came out in the early 90s'. Yes I am that old to have played the orig version just hot off the press! :)
After playing for a while I thought that wouldn't it be cool to make a 3D version that stayed as close to the original version as possible. I am a bit of a game developer myself. It could be done in Unity to save time. After a brief web search to see if someone else had already done it you can imagine my surprise to find your game.
I have on older PC and it played pretty fast using the medium graphics settings.
Things done well:
- Graphics. It is obvious that a lot of time and effort went into the graphics. I liked that they looked pretty close to the original textures. Lighting and texture bump mapping was great!
- Game play pretty close to original
- Game levels close to original.
- Controls included single key strafe left and right which does actually depart from original game which required you to hold a key while pressing left or right mapped keys. When you get used to 'A' and 'D' being strafing left and right its hard to go back!
- Title screens, transition effects and menus were all done very well.
Things that can be improved:
- Scenes were a little too dark even though the lighting was cool. While there is gamma control it still looked dark.
- Scenes felt too big. The character and player scale needs to be bumped up a little bit.
- Enemy kill on easy wasn't easy. Took multiple shots to kill. Original game took only single shot and kill zone on enemy was bigger.
- Reload delay. Argh, didn't like that feature at all. This was not in the original game. To be fair I haven't gone through all of the menus, maybe you can disable it.
So are you continuing with this project?