A BIG update to Vox, include a new lighting model (deferred lighting), better combat, improved day/night cycle, better shadow rendering, new torch items and a whole host of bug fixes and tweaks.
The new version of Vox (v0.23) is now available on IndieDB and Desura, so be sure to update to the latest version. This is a big update and has been in development for quite a while, to help fix as many bugs as possible and introduce exciting new features.
Obviously the biggest change is the new lighting model as demonstrated in the follow screenshots:
There is a new item available in your inventory to help you during the night time, the torches. There are 2 different types of torches: placeable torches that you can place in the world to light up certain areas, and the carryable torch that you can equip along with a sword or pickaxe to help on your adventure.
(Placeable torches in the world)
Here is the full changelist for Vox v0.23:
- All new dynamic deferred lighting rendering and lighting system.
- New item placeable in the world - Torches.
- Torches light up the world and need to be placed to stay safe at night time.
- Add torch as a weapon type.
- Options menu now also available from the frontend as well as in-game.
- Multi-line textbox GUI component.
- Allow weapon creation GUI screen to edit the description of the weapons.
- Re-enable actionbar loading and saving to file.
- Better transition to follow cam.
- Player now carrys a light object when a torch is equipped.
- Aggro reset on monsters, i.e You can now escape chasing monsters by running away.
- Do different damage with melee hits depending if we are using a sword, pickaxe or bare hands.
- Line width is now a parameter when rendering outlines on the target enemies.
- Variable line width for target rendering depending on distance to target.
- Night time now moves faster than day time, i.e less time spent in 'night mode'.
- Options menu resolution pull down now has top level depth.
- "Update Icon" button rather than "Update Texture".
- Properly equip the players items when the player respawns.
- Remove the bug where rogue particle effects were staying around after a respawn.
- Properly organise the keys and input during speech bubbles.
- Dont allow to jump, open inventory/stats during speech bubbles.
- Enter/Return and escape can now be used properly during speech bubbles.
- Dont allow different attack types unless we have a sword weapon equipped.
- Add modelloader header files to Juice engine main header.
- Fix many actionbar loading and saving bugs.
- Fix the bugs where the action bar wouldnt update properly when inventory was opened and reshuffled around.
- Remove the duplicate list of inventory buttons since this pointer is also referenced in the parent list.
- Better inventory and action bar config file loading
- Fix inventory components not being removed from the GUI after unloading inventory.
- Wait delay when a monster reaches his waypoint destination.
- Delay between monster jumping - stop constant jumping up and down.
- If we close the Inventory/LootGUI while dragging an icon, reset the icon position.
- Fix draggable-button GUI component actions when the animator is disabled.
- Make sure we cancel any mouse button presses when we turn the cursor off.
- Use proper skeleton names in the quest text - "Skelebob" and "Skeleton Archers".
- Fix the quest text never appearing again after you close the inventory.
- Only allow enemy targetting in Game mode, not Frontend.
- Don't go to loading screen, goto blank screen. So we can open inventory/character in game without pressing esc.
- Shader fixes for laptop and other graphics cards.
- Frame buffer fix for laptops and other GPUS. (Use same internal RGB format)
Hope you enjoy this new version of Vox and as always if you have any bugs to report or any suggestions and feedback, the forum is the ideal place to post it.
Good luck on your adventures in Vox!