by PokingWaterGames on Aug 12th, 2014
Since last update I've been working on aspects that allow the player to organise a larger tribe more easily, as well as give more choice in how to manage the tribe.
- Open stockpiles - There are pits for food and racks for tools, and this worked well at the beginning. However as you your tribe progresses, raw materials such as tendons and bones tend to accumulate around the meeting point in a big mess. Open stockpiles are introduced to handle this. You can create an open stockpile from the Stockpile Panel and set what is allowed/forbidden to be stored in each pile. Then designate the hexes associated with that stockpile in any shape. This system allows for more strategic opportunities. For example, you could create a wood-only stockpile as a barrier and set it on fire to scare away predators, or suddenly melt a frozen lake to drown any animals standing on the ice.
- Hex maximum capacity - Hexes now have a volume limit, meaning you cannot store infinite objects on one hex. If too many objects are in the same position and their total volume exceeds the hex's volume capacity, then some objects will "slide" to an adjacent hex. This effect is most obvious when butchering a large carcass with lots of parts, such as a mammoth, but you will also see the effect when piling too many objects in one cell.
- Diplomacy - Relations can change with other tribes depending on your actions. Right now I've only set up the foundations for this mechanic, you can either taunt or trade with the enemy. I hope to expand it with more interesting options in future that fit well into the game.
- Trade - To go with the new diplomacy system, I have introduced trading into the game. Trading involves bringing offered goods to a trading post, deciding what you want to receive in return, and then sending someone off the map with your goods.
- Rivers - Rivers are working! It took a while but they're in now. Water flows in endlessly from the river entrance and flows out from the river exit points. I'm anticipating problems with the pathfinding since locations on one side of the map can't be reached from the other, and will deal with them as they occur.
- Melee damage and weight of object updates each day based on age
- Progress bars for actions such as cutting trees, constructing buildings, etc
- Wearables such as boots merged into Clothing class
- Food decay rate now affected by temperature / humidity