Thief: The Dark Project is a single player stealth-based game made by Looking Glass Studios for Microsoft Windows PCs and published in 1998 by Eidos Interactive.
The player takes the role of Garrett, a master thief plying his trade in an unnamed city. Garrett posesses great thieving and stealth skills, including an almost preternatural ability to hide in shadows. These skills come partly from his growing up as a street urchin and from his later education with the secret society known as The Keepers. The game follows Garrett as he clashes with the powerful and embarks on a journey into the City's strange history, stirring up more than he bargained for.
The gameplay centres on the need to remain undetected by enemies as much as possible and the avoidance of open combat. The game achieved this through the use of highly detailed lighting, sound and AI systems that were exceptional in their day. Enemies and NPCs are able to see and hear the player and exhibit a wide variety of reactions and behaviours when they detect anything unusual; from seeking out the sound to attacking or running for help. To avoid detection the player must stay out of sight by sticking to the shadows or creating darkness by putting out lights. Players must also avoid making too much noise by moving carefully and keeping in mind what sort of surface they are walking on. Other notable features include large, complex levels with many interactive objects and a detailed physics simulation.
Here are some good sources for Thief 'mods', (or rather, Fan Missions) and instructions on how to get them running:
Fan Mission forum on TTLG
FAQ on the forum
The HD Mod is now compatible with Thief: The Dark Project and Thief Gold!
Because of to many changes there is no patch from version 1.0 to 1.2!
- added new water arrow FX
- added new gas arrow FX
- added new smoke FX (torches, fireplaces and for a lava pool in "Into the Maw of Chaos")
- added new waterfall / fountain FX
- added new fire attack / explosion FX
- added new moss arrow texture
- added new flame FX for the "Fire Shadow" model
- added new blood FX for all enemies
- added new blood FX for Garrett
- added new cobweb attack FX on red spiders
- added new earth mage attack FX
- added new electricity FX in Break from Cragscleft Prison
- added new lava FX in "Into the Maw of Chaos"
- added a lantern in Break from Cragscleft Prison
- added improved water textures (because of lightmapped water the transparency was reduced a bit)
- added new zombie models from T2X (you can cutting off their arms and head. If a zombie loses both arms he can´t fight with you. The new zombies can spit upon you.
- added new Farkus model
- added carry body mod (THX to R Soul)
- added some improved object textures
- added some improved object models
- fixed some textures
- fixed some in air flying objects
- the Watchman's Grave lucky coins will actually be visible after placing them into the bowl
- alarmlights in Break from Cragscleft Prison, Assassins and Undercover now light up when alarm is triggered!
- fixed a install folder problem with the installer
New Screen Overlay Blood FX:
The new blood FX is disabled by default. You can activate it with the "NewDark Graphics Settings Tool".
No articles were found matching the criteria specified. We suggest you try the article list with no filter applied, to browse all available. Post article and help us achieve our mission of showcasing the best content from all developers. Join now to share your own content, we welcome creators and consumers alike and look forward to your comments.
This is the "Ultimate Difficulty Mod" for the T1 HD Mod. It's only for version 1.2! Requires a full installation of 1.2!
If the game stops responding (hangs) or quits unexpectedly when the Introductory video Clip is supposed to play you need to: 1. Rename LGVID.AX to LGVID.OLD...
This is a collection of the new resources in Thief Gold, such as textures, models, and sounds, so that fan missions developed with Thief Gold, using Thief...
This file is required if you wish to play fan-made missions but do not have the editor installed. Simply unzip the file, and place convict.osm in your...
No files were found matching the criteria specified. We suggest you try the file list with no filter applied, to browse all available. Add file and help us achieve our mission of showcasing the best content from all developers. Join now to share your own content, we welcome creators and consumers alike and look forward to your comments.