Thief: The Dark Project is a single player stealth-based game made by Looking Glass Studios for Microsoft Windows PCs and published in 1998 by Eidos Interactive.
The player takes the role of Garrett, a master thief plying his trade in an unnamed city. Garrett posesses great thieving and stealth skills, including an almost preternatural ability to hide in shadows. These skills come partly from his growing up as a street urchin and from his later education with the secret society known as The Keepers. The game follows Garrett as he clashes with the powerful and embarks on a journey into the City's strange history, stirring up more than he bargained for.
The gameplay centres on the need to remain undetected by enemies as much as possible and the avoidance of open combat. The game achieved this through the use of highly detailed lighting, sound and AI systems that were exceptional in their day. Enemies and NPCs are able to see and hear the player and exhibit a wide variety of reactions and behaviours when they detect anything unusual; from seeking out the sound to attacking or running for help. To avoid detection the player must stay out of sight by sticking to the shadows or creating darkness by putting out lights. Players must also avoid making too much noise by moving carefully and keeping in mind what sort of surface they are walking on. Other notable features include large, complex levels with many interactive objects and a detailed physics simulation.
Here are some good sources for Thief 'mods', (or rather, Fan Missions) and instructions on how to get them running:
Fan Mission forum on TTLG
FAQ on the forum
Thief Gold HD Mod v1.0 is out!
Interactive Candels, lightmapped water/lava, NewDark Graphics Settings Tool v1.0, full english subtitles for all characters, many improved object textures...
Because of to many changes there is no patch from version 0.9.3 to 1.0!
- added Interactive Candels (all candles have flames now, allow you to douse them with water arrows, snuff by frobbing, and relight with fire arrows)
- added lightmapped water/lava for all TG missions
- added "NewDark Graphics Settings Tool v1.0" with more options! (Enhanced AI Detection, Subtitles, OM/FM Mode, FM Selector, View Current Settings)
- added all Garrett's monologues on "Lord Bafford's Manor"
- added full english subtitles for all characters (beta v0.8) + german subtitles for "Garrett", "Cutty", "Murus" and "The Eye" !
- added some new HD textures
- added a new animation effect on water, fire and gas arrows
- added many improved object textures
- added some improved object models (sword, lamps and more...)
- added some new tree and bush objects
- added improved AI skins
- fixed a problem with a lava pool on "The Mage Towers"
- fixed some textures
- fixed some in air flying objects
- fixed some torches and fireplaces
NewDark Graphics Settings Tool v1.0:
- If you move the mouse cursor over a button you will see a short info about the function!
- Subtitles are disabled by default! Use the Tool to activate them!
No articles were found matching the criteria specified. We suggest you try the article list with no filter applied, to browse all available. Post article and help us achieve our mission of showcasing the best content from all developers. Join now to share your own content, we welcome creators and consumers alike and look forward to your comments.
No downloads were found matching the criteria specified. We suggest you try the download list with no filter applied, to browse all available. Post download and help us achieve our mission of showcasing the best content from all developers. Join now to share your own content, we welcome creators and consumers alike and look forward to your comments.