If you are one of those who love naval games and sim, this will be right up your alley. A realistic trade simulation whaling company game set in the 17th-18th century. Do task`s and control a fully explorable AAA ship, commit to trading, hunting, crafting and much more.
As the player, you can expect to:
- Delegate crew orders like scrubbing deck, repairs, upgrades, crafting and so on.
- Carve whale art for selling when you make port or just to show of to other players online.
- Trade whale oil and other goods for the best price at port. Earn money for upgrades, new ships, new crew member specialists like doctors. Expand your business.
- Meet other players to trade goods and rumours of whale or other spottings.
.- Engange in an action phased hunt for the whale.
- Do some fishing to get more resources or just try to catch all of the different fish for your collections.
- Survive the storms.
- Customization of the ship: Captains Cabin etc.
- Ability to Craft items and tools.
And much more!
During this last month we have been working on the way-point system and how the quests/Mission will work, this all with placeholders while we are getting the ship ready and animations redone, yes, we had to redo most of the animations so we got a studio in to fix it, who previously has worked on some big projects.
We have also finished a lot of the art and the composer has made some amazing music done for the VS as well. Super excited to show it to you in a few months.
Remember, you can sign up for the closed beta here: thewhalergame.com and join our forums for QA or feedback..or just shanty singing here Forums.thewhalergame.com
Crafting & Inventory
- System definition for implementation (parameters, variables, etc.)
- Validating documentation
- Partial work on draggable core class
- System implementation (WIP)
- Scriptable Object definition
- Inventory base
- Crafting product base
- Quest DB Holder (all quests)
- Intelligent Waypoint spawns (static, location-based)
- 'Q' now initiates quest DB (3 dummy quests, one of which active)
- Prevent duplicate active quest entries
- Additional work on the 'hunt' quest (dummy to attach to whale to trigger 'death trigger' when a whale that was sighted is effectively killed)
- Attempting to import whale assets to build dummy quest whale prefab (Scale Compensation export issue, unsupported by Unity)
- Added triggers for 'hunt' and 'deliver'
- Hunt quests only completed if 'killing the whale' as opposed to entering a zone (currently, killing a whale is defined by touching it with the ship, which is going to change for the minigame when ready)
- Simplified Waypoint system, now able to support both Whale and non-Whale objects (single entity to use)
- Typed Quests (Fetch, Deliver, Hunt)
- Ironed out 'Fetch' quests (reach destination = autocomplete)
- Preliminary disambiguation between Fetch, Deliver and Hunt
- Wip on 'ResourcesManifest' (for Deliver quests)
- Wip on 'RewardsManifest' (for Quests rewards in Fetch and Deliver (Hunt has no reward: just the whale!))
- Debug Question initiation ('Q') now triggers 3 dummy quests dynamically
- Cleaned Debug Quest 'Add' and prevent duplicates
- Script files reorganization / hierarchy (cleanup job)
- Base Torquer (V2) and handler (wave rocking)
- Floating physics
- Camera jitter partial fix
- Adjust Camera settings based on ControlFocus (including focus in)
- Added secondary camera slave
- Added camera transition mode
- R&D Character relative positioning on boat (best fit), no falloff
- TODO: up/down fake physics implementation (will require raycasting & heuristics)
- WASD core movement (relative to boat)
- Camera panning (mouse-movement derived)
- Cursor Lock Status
- Physics-implementation of the character (RB to RB relationship) - WIP
- Added ControlFocus Class (determines whether player is controlling Ship, Character or Boat)
- Debug switch mode (1 = Ship, 2 = Boat (unused), 3 = Character)
- Texture now 'offsets' accordingly with movement (illusion of movement)
- Texture offset follows 'waves' vector modifiers
- Fixed graphical tear in water texture (caused by recurring normals recalculation missing frame target)
- Attempted waves smoothly going faster/slower (stronger/weaker) but faced with algorithmic glitch to fix*
- Placeholder UI
- Debug show/hide ("J")
- Update quest status in UI
- Added Camera-space canvas as camera slave (child)
- Added Compass Asset to camera-space canvas
- Decoupled needle as interactive component
- Inverted X and Z axis of compass (export settings fix)
- Bent compass' Z-axis rotation to ship's Y-axis rotation dynamically (no smoothing)
- Added placeholder lighting setup for compass
- Adjusted material settings (metallic)
- Imported texture and normal map
- Added Waypoint feedback
- Added Waypoint feedback relative rotation
- Placeholder color disambiguation of up to 3 waypoints
- Now supports the top 3 active quests for waypoints
- Skinned quest book (wood texture)
- Adjusted 9-slice borders
- Added placeholder quest popup (content still placeholder)
- Quest popup triggers when a quest completes
- Skinned button (frame + bkg)
- Adjusted 9-slice borders
- Skinned Crafting panel (frame, encaved_slots, back, wood)
- Adjusted 9-slice borders
- Adjusted ratio
- Adjusted alpha
- Assets rundown, repriorization of current goals based on available assets
- R&D on character rigidbody on moving surface
- Modified current character implementation (physics) to avoid jitter
- Created new camera (slave to character)
- Modified current physics implementation
- Modified tracking parameters of primary cam
- Created the world resource container
- Created resource instances for: Grain, Iron, Oil, Rope, Rum, Meat and Wood
- Created prefab allocations for each resource
- Assigned to the world resource reference table (name, image, etc.) *NOT value (port-specific)
The Chef, maybe we should call him Mario!?
The Compass seen in the video.
Nantucket Port buildings
Fiddler tuning the violin (Blockout)
Models, Programming and general updates from Gamescom.
Gamescom update, Webpage launched and Wallpapers!!
No articles were found matching the criteria specified. We suggest you try the article list with no filter applied, to browse all available. Post article and help us achieve our mission of showcasing the best content from all developers. Join now to share your own content, we welcome creators and consumers alike and look forward to your comments.