Grand strategy with turn-based tactical combat, set in a deep simulation of an entire solar system and its billions of inhabitants. You are the last of a murdered race, determined to unify or destroy the 8 others. But you must work from the shadows, using superior technology -- bring your cape and cowl.
Greetings, Hydral. I will be your computer for this "grand strategy campaign with turn-based tactical combat." I think that's code for "we're going to die."
Our solar system is vast and complicated, and I sense you are a little dimwitted -- so I tell you what, let's start with the simple stuff. Like escaping with this flagship you just hijacked from a bunch of angry robots. That seems important. I also think we can ingratiate ourselves to other races by bringing them the spacefaring technology they are struggling to develop. Then we'll see from there.
Please excuse my impertinence, but I believe you are the last of a murdered race, yes? My records note you Hydrals were the dictators of the solar system, so basically you had it coming. And by "it," I mean the moon that smacked into your homeworld. Hmm. So people really aren't going to like you until they get to know you. Well, your one advantage is only you can use the scattered remnants of advanced Hydral technology. Now all you need is a cape and cowl, and you're a superhero. Still, they outnumber us tens of trillions to one.
Look, I'm not going to tell you what to do. My understanding is that you're trying to form the solar system's first-and-last unified federation, and that's a noble enough cause. But right now nobody wants that except you, and you've got 8 very diverse, very angry races to either unify or exterminate. So... good luck with that. I'll help how I can.
We're happy to announce The Last Federation's first expansion Betrayed Hope is officially releasing today on Steam, GOG.com, Humble and other digital storefronts.
The expansion includes 17 new ships, 2 new solar system backgrounds, 32 new abilities, 19 new achievements, 13 new music tracks and 5 new quests. It also introduces two completely different ways to play the game -- Betrayal and Invasion:
Betrayal Mode reverses the usual game flow, making you a full planetary power trying to achieve solar domination -- adding a new layer of 4X onto the existing game. You gain the ability to command armadas and ground troops, and the meaning behind political deals is very much shifted. Rather than working toward unity, you attempt to destroy all your foes through subterfuge, war, and temporary alliances.
Invasion Mode sees you working with the other races to survive slaughter by a grave new threat, putting yet another major spin on things. Forming the federation isn't a priority when you are trying to keep a terror from consuming the entire system.
The Last Federation 2.0 arrives alongside the Betrayed Hope expansion this week as well. Here's what's been added or improved upon between 1.0 and this new release:
- Tons of improvements to GUI clarity, explanatory tooltips, etc.
- Auto-resolve option for battles.
- Permadeath made optional (and off by default).
- Awesome new ship graphics for during battles.
- New Burlust "Turmoil" mechanic.
- New ways to persuade races to join the federation.
- New actions that NPC-races take when it seems appropriate to them.
- Six new quests.
- Added player actions to support a ground invasions, oppose them, or simply start bombing stuff independently.
- Added the Ark and the Mire, two randomly seeded unique buildings that help make each game different.
- Major improvements to how RCI, Attitude, and Influence numbers work so that they make more sense to the player.
- Major revisions to widely-disliked missions like "Clean up AFA", "Deliver Spacefaring Technology", etc.
- Radical shifts to solar map pacing and many revisions to how actions work to increase player agency.
- New moddable "Bullet Pattern" engine that allows some really crazy new behaviors for enemy shots. Tons of new and revised bullet patterns.
- You can now do practice combats at the black market to try out tactics or just enjoy blowing up tons of ships.
- Substantial CPU/GPU performance improvements.
- Rebalancing both in combat and on the solar map.
- Multitudinous bugfixes.
For those interested in delving deeper, the full release notes from version 1.0 to 2.0 total more than 61,000 words.
@barinelg Interesting... I'll chat with Pablo about it and see what's up!
May 21 2015, 1:48am by arcengames
May 21 2015, 1:45am by arcengames
May 20 2015, 12:27pm by arcengames
May 19 2015, 11:47am by arcengames
The Occasionally Clever Gamer has started a new LP series for TLF: T.co
May 17 2015, 4:48pm by lastfederation
The Occasionally Clever Gamer has started a new LP series for The Last Federation: T.co
May 17 2015, 4:46pm by arcengames
May 17 2015, 4:15pm by lastfederation
May 17 2015, 4:14pm by arcengames
May 16 2015, 5:01pm by lastfederation
Nice weekend thread on the forums: How did you learn about Arcen? T.co
May 16 2015, 4:40pm by arcengames