It took awhile because I'm lazy, and got pretty distracted by games I made for onegameamonth.com. With 1.3, you are finally able to spend your gold on something, hopefully making the game a lot more interesting and replayable. Also, for co-op, the "Spelunky-style" respawning with ghosts was replaced with a less challenging, but much more intuitive "Left 4 Dead" style revive. I spent some time fixing up the UI so that the entire game is now navigable with a controller or the keyboard.
It took awhile because I'm lazy, and got pretty distracted by games I made for onegameamonth.com. With 1.3, you are finally able to spend your gold on something, hopefully making the game a lot more interesting and replayable. Also, for co-op, the "Spelunky style" respawning with ghosts was replaced with a less challenging, but much more intuitive "Left 4 Dead style" revive. I spent some time fixing up the UI so that the entire game is now navigable with a controller or the keyboard. There are a large number of tweaks to major components of the game (namely the dodge and the new sprint ability) which have significant consequences to the basic gameplay and the sorts of strategies you can use.
This is the last major release for the game, I will probably have a 1.4 release that's just bugfixes, tweaks, and polish. I'll be moving on to other, hopefully awesome games, just keep an eye on my blog.
== v1.3 CHANGELIST (Mar 14 2013) ====
- New Translation: Spanish
- Title menus and pause menu are navigable with the gamepad or keyboard
- Title screen music changed for something less overwhelming... more time to lower the volume if you need to.
- You can now sprint by holding down the "Dodge" button.
- Dodge is a bit more difficult to use, it is slower at the beginning so you'll need to plan your dodges better
- New dodge physics mean you can perform a high-velocity "dash attack" by attacking while dodging- Improved dodge and jump animations a little
- The basic dodge is now highly controllable, a skilled player can use it to "sidestep" enemies- Tracking speed of most enemies lowered to make it easier to sidestep them. It's an exciting and dangerous alternative to countering.
- Shielded enemies have special block decals to make it obvious that you can backstab them.
- Made some enemies slightly faster, and all elite enemies significantly faster
- Healing token is now a piece of meat. OM NOM NOM.
- You now have to buy your swords and meat, but they're relatively inexpensive.
- Chests appear slightly more often, now that gold has a use.
- You can spend Gold to start the game at a lower Depth. You can only start on levels you have already completed.
- You'll start with a depth-appropriate weapon equipped so you're not totally screwed
- Revive changed so it's a lot more intuitive; the now-classic "run over and hold down a button to revive your buddy" method
- Ghosts removed due to revive changes. :(
- Gates will tell you how many enemies there are left to kill until they open. If you clear the room but the gate doesn't open, you may have left some enemies behind in earlier rooms.
- Optimized AI and combat code to reduce slowdown when fighting lots of enemies.
- Blazon generator should use a lot more colors, and only SOMETIMES choose hideous color combinations.
- A few swords were renamed
- One new enemy added, he acts very differently from the rest.
- The window to cancel an attack into a block is a little bit smaller now.
- Added sounds to various special attacks
- Singleplayer-only restriction removed from the web version because of feedback. It's now just like the downloadable version.
- Fix: you can no longer dodge while holding down the attack button
- Fix: the charge-dodge with blue swords no longer stops if you collide with terrain
- Fix: if a joystick is connected during a singleplayer game, the player will no longer face the mouse pointer
- Fix: When you quit the game manually, the gold you earned will be added to your total. Gold was only being saved if you died.
- Fix: Returning to the title screen from a co-op game no longer keeps the cursor hidden
- Fix: Finishing a level with a "gap" in players (ex: P1 + P3, but not P2) will spawn players with the correct weapon on the next level. Formerly, it was resetting players to the longsword.
- Fix: Weapon trails no longer appear when you pick up a weapon.
- Fix: Tutorial text is now billboarded so it's easier to read
- Fix: The title menu wouldn't react to input if the credits weren't showing