A huge open-world game where you have the freedom to play how you want - but your choices have consequences. You've survived the zombie apocalypse by living in a bunker for a year and now it's time to venture out. Scavenge for supplies, find other survivors, trade or fight with them, form relationships and build a community. Go on quests, face moral dilemmas, and uncover dark, terrible secrets!
A couple of announcements: the third patch for Survivalist is now out, containing some more tweaks and bug fixes. And it's been reviewed since my last post here, at Indie Game Reviewer, who gave it 4.5/5 stars :)
Posted by bob_the_pr_bot on Apr 16th, 2014
The third patch for Survivalist has been approved and is now out! This patch was mostly bug-fixing and a few tweaks to try and make some things clearer.
And, since I last did a news post here, Survivalist has been reviewed at indiegamereviewer.com, and they gave it 4.5/5 stars. So it must be good then! :)
This complements the review by Tim Hurley at thexblig.com, who doesn't give ratings but put it at #10 on his all-time-favourite leaderboard and said "Survivalist is one of the most impressive XBLIGs ever produced". I'm just sayin'!
Now that this patch is out the way I can hopefully focus on the future a bit more. First thing I want to do is some kind of large font mode, to make it easier to play for people on standard def TVs, small screens and the like. After that, I'll probably try and port it to some more platforms (like PC!).
Although having said that I do still know of a few more things I want to fix, so the bug-fixing isn't totally finished yet. Anyway here's the list of the main changes in this one:
- Made some looters bare-knuckle boxers (so you can gain their respect by fighting them)
- Made it easier to get respect/approval from trading (again).
- The people in Santa Maddalena and Fort Kohai can be asked for hints about who in their community might be persuaded to join you.
- Prevent quitting the info screen while dialogs are up (fix for a crash).
- Fix for crash in late-game quest if you kill a certain person at a certain time.
- Fix for wrong amount being paid out sometimes from fisticuffs.
- Added red fadey thing and 'in days till death' on hunger/thirst/sleep bars.
- Day number display on loading screen and savegame info.
- Stop Dan Jackson the Los Ceros gate guard from following people all over the map.
- Indicate when certain speech options can't be used due to a character's personality.
- Hints to select different quests for Joe and Isham when they split up.
- Show more hints in the early tutorial quests that teach you to find and eat food.
- Fix for crazy flickering between run and jog animation when following someone.
- Show a sign-in screen if the user tries to play with a not signed-in profile.
- Fix for zombies occasionally disappearing immediately after you kill them.
- Massively toned down the effect where Alice gets hungrier and thirstier quicker when her blood sugar is higher.
If you just discovered Survivalist and are wondering what I'm talking about, it's an open-world RPG where you build a community of survivors in the zombie apocalypse. To quote Tim Hurley again:
"Think of it as a cross between Fallout and last year’s excellent State of Decay. Survivalist follows in that latter vein, putting the emphasis more on building / being part of a community and securing relationships, over the undead and outright gunplay."
Available now on XBox 360 for the low, low price of $2.99! Here's some screenshots: