After a year of its original release, I've finally made a huge update to SpaceJourney in Version 1.2. The nitty gritty details of what I added to the game have been included in the description for the download. But down below I've included the gist of what I've changed.
For those of you who haven't heard of SpaceJourney, it is a sandbox game that combines first person shooting, space simulation and adventure elements.
You're basically a space captain in a ship piloted by only yourself. And there are plenty of dangers out there in that big unknown wanting to either eat or destroy you. You can walk inside your ship, walk outside of it (using anti-gravity) and walk around locations you've docked at (so far I only have a measly little space station you can tromp around in, but its better than nothin' right?). There are enemies that you'll fight with your gun (i.e. spiders, blasting meteors, etc) in the style of a first person shooter and enemies you'll fight ship to ship with your vessel's defense and weapon systems, in the style of tactical combat games.
(I couldn't think of a way to incorporate "what" into this one)
As for the gist of the new updates-- I've made major graphical updates to game (ship, laser gun, environment), as a general drift to a more stylized artistic direction. I've made attempts to make the game more accessible (with some in-game directions and a help screen) as well as some basic features (sound effects, options screen, help screen, 1024x768 resolution) and lastly some bells and whistles (particle effects, a puzzle, scanning items, etc).
What's to Come?
Right now SpaceJourney combines both first person shooting \ action and space simulation. However I would like to expand scope to include some light RPG and Adventure elements. Being able to communicate with fellow ships, the player could engage in trade using a centralized currency. There could also be larger quests and more problem solving \ puzzles. But here is a run down of more specific features that I'd like to put into the game (order of which is going to be seen in the game the soonest):
- Interface on laser gun, giving the player more stats when they're away from the ship
- Improved Spiders that can walk around the sides and bottom of the ship, like the player can
- Some more graphical updates (like possible motion blur when warping)
- Communication system (i.e. A radio which can play music and receive distress calls)
- A form of currency and trade with friendly non-player ships.
- being able to save your game
- moar polish!
- items that can be picked up and moved around.
- A tow-able freighter (will expand on this when I get closer to releasing this update)
- boarding enemy vessels and having gun fights
- Sleeping \ dreaming
- moar polish!