Giant battles. Menacing robots. Heroic soldiers. Super weapons. Customizable UI. Squad controls. Huge maps. State-of-the-art graphics. Download at www.wolfegames.com.
P.U.R.E., the Open Source RTS game from indie developer Wolfe Games, hits version 1.2! Read more about it here.
Posted by xenoargh on Jun 23rd, 2009
...and now for our regularly-scheduled blah-blah-blah ;-)
It's been a very hectic six weeks, since we posted the Demo for 1.0 and got rolling with the process of selling the game online.
We released an early update for paying customers to fix some bugs that cropped up the first week after release, then we were faced with... the Rest Of It.
The stuff that normal companies have "people" to do- stuff like building an e-commerce front-end on our website, so that we could finally offer a Linux version of the game, revamping the entire website's structure, jumping through all of the hoops so that we could be officially a "business" under the Law, and not just "some crazy guys who decided to sell video games". Oh, little stuff like at least writing out our marketing plan, not just, "hey, we'll post press releases and hope for the best".
Yes, we are terrible business people- please give us money, so that we can hire professionals!
Rational people would have done all of this months in advance. To the crime of being irrationally exuberant, we plead "guilty as charged". The game always came first. We launched with a website I built out of Duct Tape and some spare pixels I had lying around. We didn't even have a Forum up.
Yup, we're nuts like that.
Well, it's all fixed and spiffy and Awesome, and now we're ready to pitch... version 1.2!
So, what's in it, besides some pretty pictures?
1. Complete campaigns for Resistance and Overmind. At least 60 hours of gameplay, with missions ranging from "mommy loves me" to "OMG, that's gotta hurt". We promise they're all beatable. I've beat them myself. Without cheat codes.
2. The brand-new ultra-cool Skirmish System, which lets you play survival games vs. a random enemy faction, and uses all three factions in the game (currently!)- the Resistance, the Overmind, and the evil Space Chickens.
3. Cooler graphics and sound.
4. Weather! Snow and rain, even a dust storm, courtesy of some slick GPL-friendly GLSL shader code.
5. New private server, just for the game. No more Spring Server any more, you can play with like-minded folks if multiplayer is all you're into.
6. Lots of new GPL-friendly World Builder content to sink your teeth into.
It's cool, folks. Come get the Demo, play the three missions and Skirmish, and buy it, you'll be happy that you did!