We have some big news regarding Pulsar: Lost Colony!We are now in Phase 2 of the Alpha. This is when we focus on preparing the game for Beta. It will mostly consist of 5 major updates, each focused on one of the 5 playable classes in the game. We are excited to be at this stage of development and to share the progress we’ve made so far.
To kick off Phase 2, the first major update features the Pilot! The Pilot’s job is an interesting one, and from recent testing we’ve learned a lot about how players fly the ship and interact with enemies. We noticed a few things regarding flight mechanics that we believed could be improved. This update revolves around how the Pilot maneuvers the ship, as well as further developing the Pilot’s role in ship-to-ship combat. This is no doubt the biggest update to the game so far, and we’ve made a ton of changes and additions.
Here is a devlog (28) discussing Phase 2 of the Alpha:
Here is our latest devlog (29) discussing The Pilot Update:
You’ll probably want to watch Devlog 29 above for a better idea of the changes we made this patch. There are numerous changes that affect core gameplay mechanics and some new stuff to learn about! Patch notes:
- Ship, pawn and turret networking stack completely rewritten. Now uses pure UDP for more consistent networking and is far more packet-efficient. We've had good results in our internal tests and are hoping that this leads to a better online experience for everyone.
- Custom Keybinds loaded via a file
- Joystick support is also integrated and can be completely customized.
- Multiple enemies are now supported in scenarios, and you can fight multiple enemies at once!
- Drone AI has been overhauled and replaced with a behavior tree system.
- Piloting Camera Improvements. Added new camera modes: Fixed and Orbit
- Piloting Controls Improvements. Added a manual rotation mode
- The Main Turret has been added with a new ability!
E-Bomb: a sphere of energy that consumes energy projectiles and detonates on command for a huge AOE blast
- Ship weapons systems removed! Replaced with an overhauled turret system!
- Ship name can now be seen on the hull
- Under Hull Plating has been added as a new ship component type. It blocks all system damage from hits under the ship. We will be doing more with this component type later.
- Ship explosions added!
- More scenarios including new combinations of drones added!
- Turrets are now powered and will charge faster if given more energy
- Turret art and animations have been upgraded
- Ship name is now saved when you create a game. It will default to this name next time.
- Some changes to the Intrepid
- Shield effect now added to ships (early)
- Large Asteroids can be found
- Added the start of a teleporter room to the Intrepid
- Hull Repair Fixed
- Sound effect tweaks
- Various lighting tweaks
Now introducing the FOX HUNT! For the eagle eyes out there, we’ve hidden four foxes inside the Intrepid. Can you find them all?
That’s all from us at the moment! Thank you for your time!
The Leafy Games Team