Project Zomboid is an open-ended zombie-infested sandbox. It asks one simple question – how will you die? Whether surviving in Knox County free-roam or controlling Indie Stone mascot Baldspot in his quest to save his injured wife Kate – death is always a certainty. Quite how long you manage to put it off is another matter…

Forum Thread
Sun JDK, Fedora 19 64bit. [d0@cog project-zomboid]$ java -version java version "1.7.0_45" OpenJDK Runtime Environment (f (Games : Project Zomboid : Forum : Desura Support : Sun JDK, Fedora 19 64bit. [d0@cog project-zomboid]$ java -version java version "1.7.0_45" OpenJDK Runtime Environment (f) Locked
Thread Options
Dec 28 2013 Anchor

Friend had this running on fedora and it seemed Id like the game so I thought, "Hell Ill roll the dice and buy the 14.99 version just incase things go south. I should have trusted my "No Demo. No Cash." instinct. Welp....
[d0@cog project-zomboid]$ java -versionjava version "1.7.0_45"OpenJDK Runtime Environment (fedora-2.4.3.0.fc19-x86_64 u45-b15)OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 24.45-b08, mixed mode)[d0@cog project-zomboid]$ ./projectzomboid64.sh Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: zombie/core/LaunchDialog (wrong name: zombie/core/LaunchDialog$2) at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method) at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:800) at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:142) at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:449) at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(URLClassLoader.java:71) at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:361) at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:355) at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method) at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:354) at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:425) at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:308) at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:358) at sun.launcher.LauncherHelper.checkAndLoadMain(LauncherHelper.java:482)
Doesnt matter which .sh I use. Never have liked java, for anything. Cant imagine why. Im on Fedora 19 64bit with the Sun(ora *ack* le) jdk.

PS. The desura forums are totally f'd. The topic ended up with part of my post and my post is missing like 50% of its new/return lines. Fantastic!

Dec 30 2013 Anchor

Might want to take a look at the Steam version of the game, as there have been quite a few updates since then.

Still, if you're comfortable modifying scripts, try changing zombie.core.LaunchDialog to zombie.gameStates.MainScreenState -- I'm not sure if that's compatible with the Linux version of the game, but it should allow you to bypass the launcher.

You'll be more likely to find linux-specific help over at theindiestone.com or the Steam forums, however.

Jan 10 2014 Anchor

Ive posted this in the "review" forum. Making that change doesnt fix it. It simply says that the MainScreeState class doesnt exist. As far as steam is concerned I bought this on Desura it should work here. I dont have Steam. I dont want Steam. I use Desura for a reason.

Ive munged with the classpath and even tried to strace this. As far as Im concerned the code is simply non-existent. I have decades of SA experience but my java experience is minimal outside server application support.

Im not sure if it matters but the "log" file in this distribution for linux has nothing but references to the build being done on windows. I realize java is "cross platform" but the fact is in complicated software it almost never is.

Edited by: iamnan1

Jan 11 2014 Anchor

Yes, the log is a stray file from development.
Double-checking the script. If necessary, I'll grab a copy of Fedora, but that file should certainly exist in ProjectZomboid/zombie/gameStates/MainScreenState, unless something is throwing the script off . . .

Jan 11 2014 Anchor

The MainScreenState file exists. Its as if either java cant find it or that class file does not contain the class being sought.

The desura launcher seems fine. The desura client verifier definitely seems busted but thats a desura issue not PZ.

I have gone so far as to manually set the entire classpath, all java options (ie: -D), the Heap max size and initial size(xmx,xms) etc etc. No matter what it still claims the ScreenElement is missing or is a "wrong name". I do not recall ever seeing this wrong name error in my dealings with java but I could just be recalling incorrectly as I deal with so many issues.

So even if I avoid the script entirely and run effectively what it would command line it still implodes.

As far as steam having a newer version and supposedly fixed that doesnt help me. I dont have nor will I ever use Steam. I have my reasons. I miss the days of box set games where I could go get it when I want, 10 years later reinstall if I wanted and if it didnt work just walk back to the store and return it.

My suggestion is they get the newer version on Desura. Is there a way I can simply download the game from the site?

PS. Im on Fedora 19 64bit running the 1.7.0_45 64bit Oracle JDK. I dont even have the OpenJDK that comes with the system installed anymore let alone in alternatives.

Jan 11 2014 Anchor

Just want to double check that everything is definitely correctly capitalized in your filepaths. I know that's something derpy and stupid, but it could cause these problems.

Also, the devs only put "stable" releases on Desura in the hopes that it will work as well for as many people as possible, but you do need to consider that this is an in development product so there may be times where it's not running for all. That is, unfortunately, part of the dev process but I totally understand your frustration and we'll try to do everything we can to get things working right for you.

If nothing else, I'll bug the devs and see if we can't move another version to Desura- we're probably *about* ready to anyways.

Thanks so much for your patience, hopefully we can get this sorted asap.

Jan 11 2014 Anchor

The scripts fail in the same manner as my hard coded command line does. I even used path completion.

I sincerely hope it was more than they put in stable releases on Desura HOPING they would work and then ask money for them. That's pretty damn misleading if so. "Here buy my product but I dont know if it will even do what I say it does." Not cool. They should have tested the releases from Desura. VirtualBox is free. It runs on Linux, Windows and OSX. You can install a base OS of any linux distro in about 15 minutes. Backing up the VM file takes a few minutes including restoring it. All they would have to do is fire up the prior snapshot, fire up desura, dl, run. If it fails simply dont list it for that OS or fix.

I realize its an alpha release but perhaps in that case they should have releasd the Demo on here as they apparently did on Steam. At least then Id have tried it. Saw it was busted and not been subject to an immediate charge and fail scenario. It would have been one thing had it failed after it worked the first time or even had a nasty bug in the game. If this is a "bug" its far worse than a feature in game not working or even crashing.

Jan 11 2014 Anchor

The demo is coming to Desura, I promise.

It's hard to have time to test on every Linux distro for every single build; it's a very small dev team. It also makes very clear that it's an unfinished product, but that being said it runs for almost everyone.

In fact, on the current Steam version, I don't have any current reports of the game not running on Linux. It's not a matter of "this game may not ever work for you," more that you may need to just be patient and wait for the next version, as a lot of stuff has changed. Again, I totally understand your frustration, but these things happen when you're playing a game in alpha phase from time to time. I've been closed and open testing games for years- this is part of the process. Again, we're going to do everything we can to get it working for you (and I feel certain we will), but if you bought an Alpha game not expecting stuff like this then maybe buying alpha games isn't for you. This is a true alpha game, meaning core systems are getting changed and added with almost every update.

And to stress- it's not like ALL linux users can't play. It's not even that SOME linux users can't play, or even that SOME Fedora users can't play. So far, it's just you- and I don't mean to be offensive or rude, but sometimes there's just no way we could know that in advance- especially with Linux (and since you're not using your distro's Java), every set-up is different.

Jan 12 2014 Anchor

Will be good to have a demo. It will clear up a lot of people getting irritated over handing out money on something that doesnt run on their system. I realize its alpha but that is really not the point. I have never heard of a "pay for alpha" before and when you pay for something everyone is going to expect it to at least run to some degree on their system for which it supposedly supports.

There are posts in the summary area and even the linux Desura forum of people being unable to run this. There are posts on numerous linux forums. People on irc and even people in the PZ forums. If you even look in the ratings where people get down voted for posting a negative review of how it wont run you will see quite a number. Fanboy down voting I might add in many cases. It is not JUST me.

Anyhow that solves nothing.

If they need people to do testing for them I am willing to help. I have more than a full time job but Id be perfectly happy during my gaming time to test releases for them in a variety of ditros. I have no idea how that works with Desura, ie: a Desura beta release site first then its released on the main or what.

For the record I have zero issues running dozens of java programs. Many of them likely far more complex than PZ. Point being its not my system and not me.

I'll stand by and wait because I have little choice but to do so.

Thanks for the feedback.

Jan 13 2014 Anchor

Here's a post that Lemmy101 (one of the lead developers) made that explains much better than I can why Desura builds lag behind a bit (and hence why you're probably having issues): Theindiestone.com

I'm doing the OS X tech support for TIS (and, generally, collaborating with them to work out what things are bugged and what needs fixing) and I'll probably get a linux VM or just dual boot so that I can give some better support for you guys, also. Again, I do apologize for the trouble and I'm really hoping we've got a Desura build in the works.

If you'd like to help test we're always happy to have more volunteers (especially Linux users) but unfortunately (due to the reasons you'll see in the post I linked) we just can't make that happen with Desura in its current form, so it would require Steam.

Also, you might fight this week's weekly dev blog somewhat relevant to your woes: Projectzomboid.com

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.