Men of War: Assault Squad features a completely new cooperative skirmish game mode with access to five different nations (Russia, Germany, USA, Commonwealth and, for the first time ever in the Men of War series, Japan) as well as increased realism and accessibility.
Historical and realistic skirmish mission : It take place at the village of Rauray, 20 kms west of caen, Normandie, end of june 1944. Mp missions in all modes: Skirmish coop, combat, capture the flag and Assault zones. Sp mission in skirmish mode
I'am proud to announce the release of my #3 mission, "Rauray".
(you can download it here: Rauray )
This map is an old one of mine, entirely redone, with new textures and i reduced it's dimensions to avoid lag, and to recenter the battle zone in the center of the village, to improve the gameplay in mp.
This Historical and realistic skirmish mission take place at the village of Rauray, at the west of Caen, not far from Brettevillette and Tessel,in Normandie, at the end of june 1944.
It's based on originals satellite views of Google earth.
"This mission describes the vital defensive fighting from 25 June to 1 July 1944 at Rauray in Normandy. Although the 1st Tyneside Scottish battalion gained a battle honour for their victory against the might of two of Germany's elite SS Panzer Divisions, the engagement and its significance for the Normandy campaign as a whole have been largely forgotten. The enemy's last throw came on 1 July, a fierce attempt to penetrate the Allied line and force the British back to the coast. After more than 14 hours of fighting and resolute defence by British anti-tank guns and artillery, the 2nd and 9th Panzer Divisions were halted in their tracks.
This is the area west of Caen, in the vicinity of the villages of Fontenay and Rauray, where the British 49th "Polar Bears" Division faced off against elements of German Panzer Lehr, 12th SS "Hitlerjugend" Panzer Divisions and later some elements of 2nd SS "Das Reich", in late June of 1944. The British goal was to seize the village of Fontenay, then push onward to take the hilltop woods near Tessel, and ultimately the high ground near Rauray.
This last objective, the "Rauray spur", was vital because it overlooked the lower, flatter region to the east, where the larger Operation Epsom was to be launched the following morning. Epsom was an ambitious attempt to outflank Caen from the west. While it ultimately failed, it succeeded in tying down large numbers of powerful panzer divisions. This undoubtedly helped the Allies to break out from the other beach heads (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Martlet )
There is a lot of new things in this mission:
- New ground seamless textures
- New stamps (tank tracks and new pools).
- New sounds: MG42, Bofors and Flak38 turret, Tiger turret , and the real sound of the Willis Jeep!
- New Skin for P51 Mustang and reals new sounds of this plane!
- New sound for the mortar (another one)
- A lot of new ambience sounds added everywhere in the map
- Sound of "Reinf.have arrived": changed to a snaredrum + a german voice.
- New faces for German tank commander and "Das Reich" units
- Some inventoried modified
- German voices checked and changed (thank's to Ultimaratio for his help)
- New Skirmish Music: 2 German real marsh's songs of WW2
- AI modified reinf (depends of the Mission level) and I 've changed also AI units names, to be conforms to this battle.
Beware of snipers (There are everywere).. and you will have some surprises (depends on contacts with some areas in the map)...
There is also the same goodies that were already in the preceding Missions:
- skins for vehicles (trucks, tanks, Sdkfz 251) with 3D skins specials "Busches camo" For Some Major German's tanks (include the Kingtiger).
- 3d characters (horses, rabbits, dogs, roosters/3D Models by Ironweapon from "FFI" team)
- skins of animals (cows, chickens)
- interface (icons, screens, menus, pictures, etc. ..)
- Colored labels for all units (with the proper names of Each unit's battle for Rauray)
- Ambient sounds (sound of country french village, insects, cuku, dogs, water of river etc..)
- German Elite's skins (2SS "Das Reich" Fallschirmjager "green devils" 12SS "Hitler Jungen," Medic, tank crew and Commander, waffen SS sniper ..)
- Gun sounds for the 88 Maybach engine and the Tiger (the real one, from youtube video of the test brumbar dovington of the museum's Tiger: Youtube.com)
- A lot of new voices for all German's units
(The GEM engine sound "saturate" when there Is too much units on the map at the same time and it create a bug of infinite looped sounds: If It appears (not all of the time): just click on the Save menu button (or press backspace) and go back in game. It Will Stop that looped sounds ..
(I 've modified the sound.set.file for this mission and it seems better now, but it still persist sometimes).
I was inspired by a book of Kevin Baverstock who wrote "Breaking-Panzers, The bloody battle for Rauray" : Amazon.fr
It should be emphasized also that the heaviest fighting in Normandy were led by Anglo-Canadian troops (UK), which took the misfortune to come on German's elites troops with strong armored divisions, and veterans, who were based near the city of Caen.. A lot of them loosed their lifes for our liberty: Battlefieldsww2.50megs.com
I take a lot of time to do this mission and i want to thank's a lot for their helps:
- Ultimaratio (Austria) who help me to traduct all the new voices for Germans soldiers,and give me suggestions to improve it, and also for his beta tests
- Mopar (Australia) who help me to traduct the voices for UK soldiers and for his blood Fx.
- DjSatane (USA) for his help for debugging the skirmish script in coop mp.
- Steven (USA), who did the first skirmish script. (I hope he is still alive to see that his work is really appreciate by the players who enjoy chalenging theses skirmish missions..)
Thank's to all the players for their comments and to vote on moddb.
Don't forget to give me your feedback to give me the way to improve this mission,if you like it!
I hope you will like this mission, as far as I've had the pleasure to do it.
If you like my work: Moddb.com