A beat 'em up/platforming/fighting game hybrid with an electro style. You can smack guys, attach their parts and get their abilities!

Forum Thread
Feedback for Beta Update 11 (Games : Megabyte Punch : Forum : Feedback : Feedback for Beta Update 11) Locked
Thread Options
Apr 12 2013 Anchor

Hey guys! Another great update! I'm not finding any glaring problems so far (I've only been playing this one for a half hour now, though) but if I find anything I'll report back here. I like that there's now a hint as to where the legendary Megabyte Punch is hidden, and I will be searching accordingly. The new houses are great additions, and I can also see that you've added new enemy types and other little noises and effects! Awesome! And best of all, the control cusomization is perfect so far as I can tell. Thanks for all your attention to detail and your work on this amazing project and for delivering it to us! This thread is also open to organize all feedback for the Beta Update 11 into one place.

Apr 12 2013 Anchor

I've found 7 of the 9 new colors so far. They're all pretty, especially the red and white one I forget the name of.

Something about the controls feels better, even on a keyboard. I think it's the fact that you can turn around while mashing the attack now. The in-game config is awesome, although I kinda miss the multiple inputs part, so you can have a custom controller and custom keyboard set up without having to switch it out every time.

New visuals are awesome, the new frostbyte background is pretty, and the new FG decor really spices things up. The arrows really help, as well. I'm getting lost way less now.

I was running through the redesigned stage 2 of the tech ruins an--OH GOD WHAT THE HELL IS THAT THING KILL IT WITH FIRE
...in other words, the new miniboss is scary when it falls in from offscreen.

And probably the most awesome part about this update (besides the colors) is the shockwaves! They look really pretty and make things go boom. What's not to like about that?

Apr 13 2013 Anchor

Thanks for the kind words guys, hope you have fun with the update! And as always, let us know if you got some feedback!

Apr 13 2013 Anchor

Giik wrote: And probably the most awesome part about this update (besides the colors) is the shockwaves! They look really pretty and make things go boom. What's not to like about that?

The shockwaves are really cool indeed.

Apr 15 2013 Anchor

Well, I just started a new adventure file and played through Beta 11, and here's what I have to say about it:

• When I started a new game, I immediately noticed that my previous file's Megac build carried over intact, although all the parts and colors that I've previously collected do not. Because of this, I was able to breeze through the early levels using parts and abilities that I'd normally acquire later on, such as the Sniper Rifle, Swoop, and Uppercut abilities.
  • It looks like parts that you acquire are automatically repainted towards your chosen color scheme. Sure saves me the hassle of having to repaint everything after a hard trek through a level. :D
  • While I do appreciate the fact that there are these floating arrows that guide players to where they need to go, I do feel that there aren't enough of these floating around to keep players from getting lost. Perhaps if there's a branching path where 2 or more paths lead to the same exit, then the arrows could point to both paths to tell the player that both paths lead to the exit?
  • I still stand by the opinion that hazard signs ought to be implemented to warn players of hard-to-see dangers, such as bottomless pits, hot surfaces, or red virus clouds to name a few. I still find myself falling, or in some cases, flying to my doom while exploring because I couldn't see the danger that was just below, or above.
  • The new miniboss-type enemy doesn't seem as challenging as I had expected. It was durable, though not really challenging. The hardest attack that I've seen it do was a rolling attack, though it can be blocked or jumped over, and should only hurt if you get greedy with ranged attacks. Maybe if it could shoot Giganto Missiles or giant lasers of doom, or if its melee attacks could break shields, then it would be more menacing?
  • Apparently, you can avoid getting knocked back from a steam vent (found in Level 6) by shielding.
  • I'm personally having a blast with the Teleport ability now that it's been given the ability to do damage on contact. I've found myself using it offensively to confound, surprise, and bewilder my opponents, as well as defensively to evade and counter an opponent's attack (at times, in a similar manner to Lucario's counter move). At times, I've been spamming the move as frequently as some n00bs would spam Fox Illusion from Super Smash Bros. It's a good ability to have for someone looking for a fighting style that focuses on unpredictability, assuming that you've familiarized yourself on how far this ability can travel. Now if only the computer players could learn to use this move more offensively as I have... (I wish I could reprogram the computer players' AI myself.)
  • I see that Snipe Shot and Uppercut are still just as easy to infinitely combo as before.
  • The "legendary" Megabyte Punch ability, like Ganondorf's Warlock Punch, may be devastatingly powerful, but it takes forever to execute. While computer players will attempt to rush towards you recklessly while charging up, human players aren't so easy to hit with this move. They'd need to be distracted by another player in order for you to have the perfect opportunity to send them flying with this move. Case in point, the Level 3 boss couldn't hope to land a single Megabyte Punch on me whenever I fight him seriously.
  • It seems as if the Khepriogram Head no longer confers immunity to green virus clouds, though it still seems to work against red virus clouds. Because of this, I no longer see how this part could be worthwhile to use in multiplayer battles, since red virus clouds are a rare sight on multiplayer stages, only found in 1 stage (and even then, it's located at the bottom of said stage, in a place with no floor underneath it).

By the way, if anyone's having trouble finding a certain legendary part, in which the path to it is supposedly marked by 3 flowers, perhaps this hint could help:
Hidden Path
Happy hunting! ;)

Edit: Also, I have a few suggestions for features:

• An expanded vs mode, where computer players can join in on the fun alongside human players. Players would be able to determine what the computer players would be, either from a list of pre-made Megac builds (including boss builds), or from custom player-designed builds.
  • A timed vs mode where players gain points from defeating opponents, and lose points from going off-stage. The winner would be the player with the highest score when time runs out.
  • The ability to set time limits on stock matches so that players could opt to create matches where the player with the most lives when time runs out would be declared the winner.
  • Team battle mode, where players (both human and computer) are grouped into teams. May involve automatically applying fixed color palettes in order for players to tell which teams they're on.

Edited by: ShadowWolfTJC

Apr 15 2013 Anchor

Thanks again ShadowWolfTJC, let me respond to some of your points :)

- This is a known issue. Not very high on our priority list but it must be fixed. ( If you delete your progress>close MBP>restart MBP>you will have the default set again )
- Yep, correct!
- The arrows are more as a guide for people that think who are lost and are backtracking without them knowing. It wasn't our intention to show every route possible.
- The roofs are still an issue, I think the bottomless pits are quite fair at the moment. That's my personal point of view though ;)
- We were afraid that the mini-boss was too difficult so we nerfed it quite a bit before releasing the update, I think we nerfed it a bit too much.
- Didn't see that yet, thanks.
- The teleport is quite awesome indeed!
- I believe it's an AI thingy more than the ability.
- It will be more legendary later, and the AI doesn't know how to handle it's great power :D
- That's correct, it's more of a "quest" item at the moment. There will be more hidden stuff where you need the virus immunity to reach later.

Nice ideas about those modes! I'll mention them to Dion tomorrow.

Apr 15 2013 Anchor

Oh, here's something that's been bugging me for a while now. Give us some control over stunned flights!

Multiple times I've been locked into an endless cycle of being knocked around because I can't control my stunned flight. Even in the miniboss in the Binary Fortress locked me into one because he wouldn't stop doing his rolling attack back and forth. I've also been in moments where I'd be sitting on the ground for a second or two doing backflips because my stunned time wasn't up yet. It'd be cool if you could do a sort of recovery move where if you press shield right when you hit the ground, you bounce less and can get up faster.

Apr 16 2013 Anchor

This would be a good idea. The corrisponding mechanic in SSB is DI, or directional influence. It allows you to influence your direction upon being hit to a certain degree. It doesn't have to be hugely noticable, but it'll make enough difference that combos will be harder to sustain.

Apr 16 2013 Anchor

Also, if we're going to be able to fight against computer players in vs matches, could we also be able to choose their difficulty levels? I may want to test my mettle against the most challenging AI you guys can program, but newbies may want to practice with some easier AIs before moving onto the more difficult AI levels. ;)

Apr 23 2013 Anchor

>Parts now automagically change to your color upon picking them up

Could this be optional? I like being able to mix and match colors sometimes.

Apr 25 2013 Anchor

The neutral air attack, where the Megac spins around to hit the opponent multiple times, seems too weak. Players that don't use damage upgrades aren't able to damage any opponents that have some decent armor upgrades using this move.

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.