Finishing touches, quality assurance and the uncertainly certain future of the Half-Rats series.
First of all I want to say; I was really busy with real life events, and the development progress kinda slowed-down, but don't worry it's NOT dead :)
What do we have here? It's a new VGUI based HUD prototype, that replaces old sprite based HUD.
Pros of new HUD:
- Instead of using low quality sprites, the new HUD is created using image fonts and .tga files. That makes the new HUD much more cleaner and easier to "read" on lower and higher screen resolutions.
- The size and position of HUD elements are widescreen friendly. Instead of huge "gaps" ( Media.moddb.com ) the elements are now aligned properly.
Stuff already coded in new HUD:
- Health and Armor counters.
- Primary / Secondary ammo counters.
- Damage direction identificators.
- Atmospheric contaminant sensors.
Stuff that's not ready yet:
- HEV Logon animation. Inspired by Black Mesa HEV Logon animation. The current version is mostly for possibilities demonstration and it's not final product. I'm still not sure if the "console text" part will be included or not. The logon animation is kinda "status-check" on all HEV systems, and it depends on coded systems. AKA: The more stuff will be coded, the more stuff will be "checked" at logon.
- Flashlight icon. Yup it will be replaced.
- Weapon selection. Sprite based weapon selection works kinda OK even at 1920x1080 resolutions. I'm not sure if it will be replaced with VGUI components or not.
- Air counter. In HL1 there is no "air-status" counter, you can only guess that with "drowning" sounds. Idea is to actually create some kind of air level/status notification for that. (Maybe status bar or % value)
- Crosshairs. Yes they will be VGUI based and more higher-screen resolution friendly.
Not required, but possible additions:
- Blood overlay, when attacking targets at close range. Image all that red and yellow blood splatters on screen as a reward for using shotgun at melee range :D
- Vignette effect overlays. ( Community.avid.com ) Possible when player is low on health or when he's drowning. The edges of screen will became more and more darker, kinda "your-close-to-pass-out" effect.
- Overlays for acid when player is hit with acid spit from bullsquid or big-momma. Image all this white stuff over the screen, it will look just like *CENSORED*.
- Flickering HUD (for 1-2secs) when player is hit with electrical damage (electric cable / alien slave attack).
- We are always open for suggestions, ideas, comments, criticism and other stuff. And I'm reading through every thing you post here. Feel free to literally spam comments with suggestions. I can't promise that everything will be coded, but all ideas are welcome :)
Further update note:
- I'm still kinda busy with RL stuff and working with VGUI 1 it's a pure pain, so I doubt the next update will be anytime soon. (End of this month or start of the next one)
The principal purpose of the mod and other principal characteristics.
No articles were found matching the criteria specified. We suggest you try the article list with no filter applied, to browse all available. Post article and help us achieve our mission of showcasing the best content from all developers.
No downloads were found matching the criteria specified. We suggest you try the download list with no filter applied, to browse all available. Post download and help us achieve our mission of showcasing the best content from all developers.
Highest Rated (40 agree) 10/10
Run. Think. Shoot. Live.In Half-Life, players assume the role of the protagonist, Dr. Gordon Freeman, a recent MIT graduate in theoretical physics, and also a recent employee at Black Mesa. After an experiment that goes horribly awry when an unexpected Resonance Cascade (an apparently completely fictitious occurrence) rips dimensional seams that devastate the facility, Gordon must fight to escape the now alien-infested facility as creatures from another world — known as Xen — subsequently enter…
Jan 12 2011 by GordonFreeguy