Pick up the crowbar of research scientist Gordon Freeman, who finds himself on an alien-infested Earth being picked to the bone, its resources depleted, its populace dwindling. Freeman is thrust into the unenviable role of rescuing the world from the wrong he unleashed back at Black Mesa. And a lot of people, people he cares about, are counting on him.
These tutorials were designed to help beginners in mapping from the time you will learn how to create a simple room with npc's, guns, doors and more... -- VIDEO LINKS NOW UPDATED --
Posted by ~Mapster(WFc) on Jul 19th, 2008 Page 1 of 3
These tutorials were designed to help beginners in mapping from the time you will learn how to create a simple room with npc's, guns, doors and more. Please watch the rest of the tutorials and read the FAQ before asking questions.
A simple tutorial on how to create your very first map for half-life 2 using the Hammer Editor supplied by Source SDK.
-- VIDEO LINKS NOW UPDATED --
Please comment or message me if you require some questions answered.
1. Q: When I try to run the map it says
The command failed. Windows reported the error:
"The system cannot fine the file specified"
1. A: Your map name would most likely obtain a space; NEVER have a space in a map name, replace these with underscores.
2. Q: When I create a shape using the block tool, it doesn't have a texture like on the video does, what did I do wrong?
2. A: I explained in the tutorial that if the box has not got a texture, go into camera which is at the top left of the 3d view, and go 3d textured.
3. Q: Am I able to make a map for other mods by Half-life 2 such as Garry's mod 9 or 10?
3. A: Yes, when you create your map and save it (.vmf) in hammer, go file/run (or compile) and make sure all of the check boxes are the same as what I explain in the tutorial.
After compiling the .bsp will be in your half-life2\hl2\maps folder and in the directory to where you saved the .vmf to.
Just copy that into the gmod\maps folder.
4. Q: How do I add sound into my map?
4. A: Add in a ambient_generic, change the sound to what you want and then untick "starts quiet" and "is NOT looped" in the flags tab.
5. Q: What do you use to make maps with?
5. A: I use Valve hammer editor which comes with Source SDK which is in the tools menu, this can be downloaded for free off steam.
6. Q: I went to file, run map, ran HL2, pressed the ~ button but the console doesn't come up for me, why not?
6. A: Go into options, controls and go advanced and check "Press ~ for console".
HL2 Mapping Tutorial, Your first Map: Part 1
HL2 Mapping Tutorial, Your first Map: Part 2
HL2 Mapping Tutorial, Vid 2; Doors: Part 1
HL2 Mapping Tutorial, Vid 2; Doors: Part 2