Haktoria is a Free Software data replacement project for the Hexen II GPL source code. It aims to not "suck" in ways the original game did.
- Hammer of Thyrion engine is used (for Mac/Windows/Linux/DOS versions)
- 256x256 texture size max. No odd texture sizes, only power of 2
- MDL file format for models, SPR for sprites, WAV for sounds, BSP for maps, LMP for 2d graphics lump, WAD for map textures
- Models not exceeding 800 triangles, unless they're a big monster and/or a boss.
- 256 colors, however with a more colorful color palette
- 'Portals' and 'hworld' will also be covered.
- Higher poly MD3 models and larger TGA/PNG textures are allowed (for modern source ports), but won't be included with the main data pak file but in a seperate pk3 addon.
- 22khz/44khz sound effects, rather than 11025hz everything
- Monsters will NOT be sparse and give the game a boring feel.
- A 'classic' mode may be done in the future, for dumber enemies (good for cooperative play) and balanced, classic-style weapons and movement, and no RPG grinding elements.
- Art direction will be anime-style for character and weapon design in a palette and lighting level similar to the first two games.