Features: Imagine a world with no boundaries. You can build as high as you want, dig as deep as you want, or explore a thriving world in any direction. The possibilities for a world like this is endless. This world is Explorium. This is the old version of the game that is no longer supported. Features:
Alpha Coming Soon
A sandbox game that aims to go where sandbox games seldom go. It's focus is not on pointless tiering up, but rather on exploration and adventure with friends. Explore infinite worlds, new dimensions, and multiplayer!
The alpha (free) version of the game will be released in 2015.
Download OLD Explorium
Imagine a world with no boundaries. You can build as high as you want, dig as deep as you want, or explore a thriving world in any direction. The possibilities for a world like this is endless. This world is Explorium.
This is the old version of the game that is no longer supported.
Lighting Engine Update
The lighting engine, as most know by now, has gone through many, many changes. It's getting closer to it's final stage. This update to the lighting engine will most likely remain until the alpha is released. Lights are brighter, spread more, and the whole method is approximately 100 times faster. The spreads are done using an HLSL shader, and updates to source and blocking masks are done periodically on a chunk basis. Below is a series of lists comparing the other systems.
• Done on the CPU, so naturally much slower.
• Lights blend exceptionally well.
• No attenuation; light not blocked by solid objects.
• Lights very triangular shaped.
• Done on the GPU, very efficient for spreading.
• However, the need to make source and blocking masks was very slow, because it was done every frame.
• Very inaccurate and dark.
• Lights blended very well.
• Also done on the GPU, still very efficient.
• Source and blocking mask updates done only when blocks are updated, essentially instantly. Now does only about a thousandth of the previous number of updates.
• Decently accurate, spreads far and bright.
• Lights blend decently, but not nearly as well as previous systems.
Here is a video showcasing the new lighting engine:
Souper Games (dev studio that is working on Explorium) now has a wonderfully revamped website:
Souper Games Blog / Main Site
Until next time,
Benjamin Mastripolito (Lead Developer)
No articles were found matching the criteria specified. We suggest you try the article list with no filter applied, to browse all available. Post article and help us achieve our mission of showcasing the best content from all developers. Join now to share your own content, we welcome creators and consumers alike and look forward to your comments.