Plot: The characters thought they had escaped the terrors of Banoi and survived the apocalypse on a corrupted paradise. Their fate took a turn for the worse. The Dead Island heroes escaped in a helicopter to the safety of a military ship, but when a furious storm hits and the virus suddenly spreads throughout the crew, the nightmare starts all over again, leaving hope drowning in the rising tides.
A collection of tweaked files for Dead Island Riptide that give the game a more FPS/shooter feel by increasing carried ammo, making firearms more effective and available earlier in the game, adding more ammo to vendors and an increased loot chance, made the flashlight slightly brighter ,and you now need to take out the zombies brain now to kill them in most cases. Shoot them in the chest and they will just get back up (although a shotgun blast or modded gun would be an exception).
*Kilroy's Dead Island Riptide Gameplay Tweaks*
*Disclaimer* - Use at your own risk! Modded files are provided "as is". I may make further tweaks and updates as time/interest allows.
*Caution* - These changes/tweaks could negatively affect your Steam VAC if it is enabled for online play! It is recommended you use these offline/single player only, or disable VAC for DI:R! If you want to play (and risk VAC) with someone else online/coop, they need the *same* files as you!
1. These files contain several tweaks I decided to try at the end of my first play thru and affect vendor stock, loot probability (ammo), increased ammo capacity and changed firearm stats, the flashlight, and the zombies. The files can be installed all at once for all the changes, or if you just want one you can install the necessary files described below.
Installation: All files
1. Unzip the contents to your C:/Users/username/My Documents/Riptide/out folder.
Change One: Vendor Stock - More guns and ammo
1. I decided upon a more shooter styled second play thru and added ammo to most vendors and firearms to several more vendors, especially in the first jungle zone; most specifically the survivor vendors in 'Paradise', and a few of the ones scattered throughout the area.
2. To install just this change, Unzip shops.scr to your C:/Users/username/My Documents/Riptide/out folder.
Change Two: Loot Probability - Increased Ammo loot chance
1. I am not sure if this works, but I found a ton of ammo after I made this change twords the end of my first play thru in the later acts.
2. To install just this change, Unzip default.scr to your C:/Users/username/My Documents/Riptide/out folder.
Change Three: Increased ammo carrying and firearm stat tweaks.
1. I desired a more FPS experience and increased ammo capacity to: Pistol 400, Shotgun 220, Rifle 600. If you want less, or more ammo simply use notepad to edit the default_levels.xml file. Scroll down/search until you find "MaxAmmoType" and put in what you want.
2. I also enabled bullet penetration chance, and increased recoil slightly for the rifles, shotguns and magnums. If you want to change it then look for it in the .xml file.
3. Bullet damage has also been increased slightly to reflect my desire for single shot headshots kills on lesser zombies. If you want to change it then look for it in the .xml file.
4.To install just this change, Unzip default_levels.xml to your C:/Users/username/My Documents/Riptide/out folder.
Change Four: Made the Flashlight slightly less useless in the really dark areas.
1. I modified the two flashlight files to make it a little brighter. You can play with the values and get it to where you want it. Open the varlist_flashlight.scr and varlist_flashlight.scd files in note pad (you will have to open note pad and go to open file, file path, then all file
types to see and open them).
2. To install just this change, Unzip varlist_flashlight.scr and varlist_flashlight.scd to your C:/Users/username/My Documents/Riptide/out folder.
Change Five: Classic Dawn of the Dead like / Walking Dead like zombies - Destroy the brain!
1. I grew tired of one shooting zombies in the chest with a modded pistol and wanted something more challenging. If you use this file you will have to either shoot them in the head, bash in their brains, or cut the head off to kill them in *most* cases. The shotgun can be powerful enough in some cases for a center mass kill due to the shot pattern. Also modded weapons that deal fire, poison, or electrical damage, etc, can still kill them with a few hits to places other than the head as the damage is applied to all body parts. It is also more difficult to dismember the zombies, but it is still possible and can kill them if the legs are taken out (rare with the exception of a powerful shotgun blast/explosion, this is due to the limitations of how the game tracks body part damage). Explosives still work pretty good, but they are not as effective as vanilla. As a side effect Molotov’s are not as effective either. You may need to use two, or more in sequence to kill what one would before.
2. To install just this change, Unzip infected_data.scr and vessel_data.scr to your C:/Users/username/My Documents/Riptide/out folder.
Uninstall: Simply delete the files or move them out of the 'out' folder.
Bugs/Recommendations: Please leave a comment if you find/think something needs to be tweaked further or if you find a bug induced by the files.
Credit: I want to thank Techland and Deepsilver for the game . . . but release some mod tools, or decompression/compression utilities for .pack and .rpack files utilities please!
I hope you enjoy these tweaked files. It took me a fair amount of experimentation to get some of these working and I may put out further tweaks! Since these are just tweaks you can redistribute this without my consent, but please give credit if you are using it is "as is".