You wake up in a dark alley, not knowing anything. What has happened anyway? You struggle after the truth and answers. Answers you want to know in the darkness and fear, which makes your heartbeat race like violent blows against your head. Where do "they" come from? What has happened? Are you just turning insane? The time is up; you can't stay there reading your smses forever. It's time to head out and find the answers. Cry of Fear is a singleplayer modification of Half-Life 1 which brings you the horror you've always been afraid of. It's a total conversion of Half-Life 1, which means it uses NO Half-Life 1 content or other peoples' files. It's all made exclusively by the developers. It also uses new gaming styles that you will rarely find in Half-Life mods, such as advanced cutscenes and other stuff that will be revealed at a later date.
In a few words: BRILLIANT IDEA WITH LOTS OF NEW CONTENT BUT SPOILED BY A FRUSTRATING GAMEPLAY
Ok now I got your attention with caps ;P and want to be more specific.
+ awesome graphics for such an old engine. And stylish too.
+ brilliant sound design
+ new enemies you never want to meet in darkness. 1st prize goes to cornerhead (or how can I name him properly?) best WTF monster I've seen.
+ setting right mood just...right
+ captured that feel of old horror games perfectly (which is actually a minus for ME personally)
- too much enemies and their placement is a disaster. Corridors with 5 things in a row or after every turn or in alcove created specially for enemy placement...it's just painful to watch, especially at parts with chained bloats. And how you like a giant right behind a door? And two others behind him?
- too much shooting. Less ammo and more damage from it is the way. But three bullets in kid's head...my god...
- too much confined space. I can't remember any other game in which you face a nearby wall almost every time you open a door. No way to side jump too. Somehow AOM feels more open.
- ************* THREEFACED CHAINSAW GUY OUT OF ******* NOWHERE! Seriously that parts with doorknob and with swimming are not scary. They are goddamn frustrating because you'll die and repeat it again. And I was killed by him once right after I entered some door -- fade in, I see empty corridor, one second later screen goes red (he was at my side).
- JUMP PUZZLES IN CONFINED SPACES. I probably could stand it but not with infamous crouch+jump thing... And if you successfully got out from train at very first time you're ******* superman!
You may love it with all your heart but I personally could replay AOM or Condemned but have a very huge doubts about replaying COF. Which is a shame because the game is good but I believe Psykskallar could made it unmatched.
10/10 if you like old school horror games.
8/10 if you don't like rough old school gameplay.
Feels and plays like a modern rendition of Silent Hill that doesn't suck. You wouldn't believe that this is a mod for a game as old as Half-Life 1 by looking at the screenshots or watching some gameplay.
This is a real survival horror game. It's great, and you owe it to yourself to experience it.
Cry of fear is without a doubt an impressive half life mod however it is flawed by frustrating gameplay due to designer flaws, difficulty and contradicting its genre.The story is great and original and the voice acting is acceptable.The gameplay however, leaves much to be desired.The spawn points for enemies are placed terribly.The chainsaw monster spawned literally right next to the player the first time he was encountered and killed you instantly unless you had the reflexes of a cat.The game also loses it's touch after the player enters the subway from there on it becomes and obstacle course rather than a survival horror game, you might as well rename it to cry of parkour. The collision walls are also placed badly, the train escape part from example. Also I don't see how SURVIVAL horror fits into the game when the player needs to die repeatedly just to figure out the scenarios the developer threw in because of the flaws.I mean seriously the game is supposed to be based on the perspective of somebody who ventured into a dangerous world but 100% of the time the player dies because they fall of an obstacle that was just a hallucination rather than dying while they were fighting a monster. The enemies also move to fast for the player to even shoot/attack.
Now for the positive part.The graphics are amazing for the old HL engine, the textures and lighting are superb.The level design is also very well done.The classic save system is also a plus as players are forced to move on when they're to scared even if they don't want to.The scares are mostly jump scares however there are plenty of psychological scares such as the dark parts of the apartment complex or the chainsaw noises in one of the buildings making this game overall very scary.The story is also very original and looks to be inspired by silent hill. The game also keeps the player interested and never becomes boring as the story keeps advancing.Overall cry of fear is a great mod and I highly recommend it.