You wake up in a dark alley, not knowing anything. What has happened anyway? You struggle after the truth and answers. Answers you want to know in the darkness and fear, which makes your heartbeat race like violent blows against your head. Where do "they" come from? What has happened? Are you just turning insane? The time is up; you can't stay there reading your smses forever. It's time to head out and find the answers. Cry of Fear is a singleplayer modification of Half-Life 1 which brings you the horror you've always been afraid of. It's a total conversion of Half-Life 1, which means it uses NO Half-Life 1 content or other peoples' files. It's all made exclusively by the developers. It also uses new gaming styles that you will rarely find in Half-Life mods, such as advanced cutscenes and other stuff that will be revealed at a later date.
In a few words: BRILLIANT IDEA WITH LOTS OF NEW CONTENT BUT SPOILED BY A FRUSTRATING GAMEPLAY
Ok now I got your attention with caps ;P and want to be more specific.
+ awesome graphics for such an old engine. And stylish too.
+ brilliant sound design
+ new enemies you never want to meet in darkness. 1st prize goes to cornerhead (or how can I name him properly?) best WTF monster I've seen.
+ setting right mood just...right
+ captured that feel of old horror games perfectly (which is actually a minus for ME personally)
- too much enemies and their placement is a disaster. Corridors with 5 things in a row or after every turn or in alcove created specially for enemy placement...it's just painful to watch, especially at parts with chained bloats. And how you like a giant right behind a door? And two others behind him?
- too much shooting. Less ammo and more damage from it is the way. But three bullets in kid's head...my god...
- too much confined space. I can't remember any other game in which you face a nearby wall almost every time you open a door. No way to side jump too. Somehow AOM feels more open.
- ************* THREEFACED CHAINSAW GUY OUT OF ******* NOWHERE! Seriously that parts with doorknob and with swimming are not scary. They are goddamn frustrating because you'll die and repeat it again. And I was killed by him once right after I entered some door -- fade in, I see empty corridor, one second later screen goes red (he was at my side).
- JUMP PUZZLES IN CONFINED SPACES. I probably could stand it but not with infamous crouch+jump thing... And if you successfully got out from train at very first time you're ******* superman!
You may love it with all your heart but I personally could replay AOM or Condemned but have a very huge doubts about replaying COF. Which is a shame because the game is good but I believe Psykskallar could made it unmatched.
10/10 if you like old school horror games.
8/10 if you don't like rough old school gameplay.
Feels and plays like a modern rendition of Silent Hill that doesn't suck. You wouldn't believe that this is a mod for a game as old as Half-Life 1 by looking at the screenshots or watching some gameplay.
This is a real survival horror game. It's great, and you owe it to yourself to experience it.