You wake up in a dark alley, not knowing anything. What has happened anyway? You struggle after the truth and answers. Answers you want to know in the darkness and fear, which makes your heartbeat race like violent blows against your head. Where do "they" come from? What has happened? Are you just turning insane? The time is up; you can't stay there reading your smses forever. It's time to head out and find the answers. Cry of Fear is a singleplayer modification of Half-Life 1 which brings you the horror you've always been afraid of. It's a total conversion of Half-Life 1, which means it uses NO Half-Life 1 content or other peoples' files. It's all made exclusively by the developers. It also uses new gaming styles that you will rarely find in Half-Life mods, such as advanced cutscenes and other stuff that will be revealed at a later date.
Cry Of Fear isn't what it's all cracked up to be. People praise it for being an amazing achievement in the horror genre, but for me it just falls flat on all scares around the half-way point. It has a lot of issues that will hinder the experience, and some of the game breaking glitches may cause you to never want to touch the game again. However, they do nail some things pretty nicely such as the story element, environments, and even some of the monsters.
The Save System is pretty awesome, and reminds me some of the old-school horror games like Silent Hill, and Resident Evil.
The inclusion of the Health System via morphine.
Story can be quite entertaining, and is well worth a playthrough just to experience it.
Some of the enemies feel terrifying, and will prove some challenge.
Co-op mode with 4 players.
It's free if you own Half-Life 1
A ton of glitches, and game breaking issues that can really ruin the experience.
Some of the weapons feel incredibly useless, and you're better off just running.
The "horror" gets old after the first three chapters. Jump-scares tend to lose their appeal.
Some elements of the story can be a tad over-bearing, and seem to push the depression onto you to the point of being annoying.
Sometimes feels a little too much like the original Silent Hill, but doesn't deliver as well as Silent Hill.
Game feels unpolished.
Flawed mechanics such as melee combat, and the dual wielding system.
The inventory system is extremely frustrating to manage.
Over-all it's not a horrible game, but it's no where near an amazing game either. I can't really recommend this to anyone, unless you're a hardcore fan of horror games, and don't mind having to deal with frustrating elements, and poor game design. However, the story is well worth a play-through even though it can be too depressing for it's own good.
This is just one of the best Half-Life mods I have played, with some bugs like all the games and mods.
Excelent work :)
I'll give it a 7/10, though maybe it deserves 8.5/10
- great atmosphere
- good design of some monsters and levels
- great music, especially tracks with guitar
- some great moments, that happens
- this mod (or game?) is finally out, and it contains great amount of work, great
- all of this is second-hand. really.
author's just took enormous amount of things and decisions that they watched in Silent Hill (especially 3rd and 2nd), Condemned, maybe somewhere else.
Yes, Cry of Fear is free game made by enthusiasts..
BUT.. If you make smth like made before, try to make it better.
While Cry of Fear , pityfully, is a bag of weakness.
The storyline has too many unlogical (not surreal, just unlogical) things.
The heroes' characters are just WTF? While main hero is naive idiot, the girl is also cartoonish character, and actions that are made in heroe's narration is also weak and unstable.
Locations and city are also "random".
Of course, it was just Rumpel and his friends BUT
If you watch "No Escape" fanmade movie, you'll notice that the main story line is very similar to CoF's, the difference that in Cry of Fear main hero has much less people he lost.
There is "Mulholland Drive" and "Requiem for a Dream" story types.
CoF's is close to second, i mean general message of story and metaphor.
It's really sad that with all great amount of work, "Cry of Fear" is so "inspired by inspired".
- And also backtracking. Cry of Fear's level design is not perfect for it, cause all levels are more "long way", while for backtracking better when there are "independent but clear locations".
Well, Cry of Fear's team has nothing with that movie, sorry.
It's just 10/10 (even 11/10), because it's just the best you can get for Half Life. Extra menus, Cutscenes, ok narration, great gfx, audio, COOP and most of all incredible and CREEPY AS F..K art design. You guys rock, let's say AoM: DC was great... and this is like 10 times greater.
Greatest and scariest HL mod and that's not that easy to achieve with stuff like "The Gate", "Escape from the Darkness" or "Heart Of Evil". You guys deserve a lot of alcohol... or better not, if You we're able to thought all of those scary things.
I'm not gonna sleep tonight.
+ Great storyline.
+ Breaking GoldSrc engine make this mod awesome.
+ This mod is friggin scary.
- Graphics bugs.
- Game crash if playing for a long time.
- Monster look stupid when play for a long time.
This mod is awesome but need patch to fix horrible bugs.
It's like Afraid of Monsters, but slower paced, has an inventory and dual wielding system, etc.
Also, a new coat of paint for the GoldSource engine, so the game looks pretty slick.
It has its problems here and there, but its still one of the best Half-Life mods, and one of the best horror mods in general.
One of THE best mods that have come from the ModDB in the past years.
Truly a unique masterpiece.
- health/ammo systems
- dual weapons
- limited inventory is overall nice but... see cons
- textures, enemies, weapons are new and some new interactions are made possible, always appreciated
- ambience is overall nice, except it's not frightening at all (I've never played a game that is actually frightening anyway so no problem here)
- open choices? nope (most linear game ever)
- backtracking is BAD (and on this point, back to the limited inventory, having to leave your weapons in order to be able to pick extremely light -but mandatory- items that could just fit in your pocket and having to backtrack (again) in order to pick your weapon back is BAD. I mean, BAD)
- originality? nope
- characters/story? boring...
- saving "checkpoints" are BAD
- playability? well:
-- a vent opens at 1cm above the ground. you have to jump to get in
-- infighting is awfully awful... being 2cm from your enemy won't always make you hit. being 2m away won't always make your enemy fail.
- dropping some items make them disappear while they should not, either 10s after you dropped them (they just fall inside the ground) or like 20mn after you dropped them, after killing 20 enemies and finishing your backtracking
- the current 9.3 note makes me want to rate the game 1/10 just to make hype addict fanboys cry
Great atmosphere, i can say this is the best mod that i played, or the best mod for Half Life ever made :)
Lots of effort you guys put into making this mod, congratulations.
No reviews were found matching the criteria specified. We suggest you try the review list with no filter applied, to browse all available. Join now to share your own content, we welcome creators and consumers alike and look forward to your comments.